Best Schools by Major? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Best Schools by Major?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:41 pm

I think the reason why you don't see rankings for marketing programs as often is because universities like my alma mater, Loyola Marymount, treat marketing more or less as a concentration instead of a full-blown 4-year major, when Business Administration is classified as your major and Marketing (which could be achieved through a handful of electives) is nothing more than a concentration.

My advice is that you should only consider the strength of the school's Marketing program as just one factor out of a hundred you should consider when evaluating how good of a fit you would be at that school. It's the overall college experience that counts.

This is my personal opinion and my opinion only, but I think marketing is overrated. For one thing, marketing graduates when they go out in the real world, find that they take a back seat in priority when accounting, finance, engineering, and computer science majors are more in demand. It's also difficult to find a marketing job because it's tough to differentiate yourself from other marketing students unless you had undertaken a project that could stand in the real world. It's tough to get into an ad agency like BBDO, DDB, and TBWA\Chiat\Day if you don't have any connections with the folks that work there. I have a friend that works at TBWA\Chiat\Day and he had to build a rapport or network with a friend who knows a friend who knows a friend who knows a friend who works there. He climbed the ladder, landed an internship there, and was hired there full-time. Another thing to consider is that you'll work a heavier than usual workload and yet, the pay will be somewhat disappointing for you as opposed to what consultants or investment bankers make.

You're a long ways away from getting there, but that's something to consider. I suggest that you take up Finance/Economics as a second major to go alongside Marketing, but hey, even the most recognizable businesses hire bright liberal arts grads into heavily business-related positions. Worry about that when you get there.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jzfran » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:31 pm

US News and World report has a greatlist of undergraduate business programs in its college issue. I reccomend getting it to start your search. Here is an online list http://bwnt.businessweek.com/bschools/undergraduate/06rankings
I recommend that you dontlimit yourself to these schools. Many Ivies and other prestigious schools (like Duke) dont have business programs, but have economics, and are therefore not on the list.

Bottom line is that any school will give out a business degree. Also, a business degree is not essential to go into business. Often, a different major can help you in landing a business job. Do not limit yourself to these schools on the list and find the school that is best for you. If business is your intendeed field of study, then whatever school you pick will have a major for you.

BTW, I'm a senior this year and I'm applying to schools for business myself so if u have any questions, drop me a PM.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Thanks for the help guys... yeah, I've basically just started my whole college search, and from the people I've talked to, it seems like for my undergrad, I should just be looking for a good school rather than a specific major, and then from there maybe concentrate more on exactly what I want to do.

The Artful Dodger wrote:I think the reason why you don't see rankings for marketing programs as often is because universities like my alma mater, Loyola Marymount, treat marketing more or less as a concentration instead of a full-blown 4-year major, when Business Administration is classified as your major and Marketing (which could be achieved through a handful of electives) is nothing more than a concentration.

My advice is that you should only consider the strength of the school's Marketing program as just one factor out of a hundred you should consider when evaluating how good of a fit you would be at that school. It's the overall college experience that counts.

This is my personal opinion and my opinion only, but I think marketing is overrated. For one thing, marketing graduates when they go out in the real world, find that they take a back seat in priority when accounting, finance, engineering, and computer science majors are more in demand. It's also difficult to find a marketing job because it's tough to differentiate yourself from other marketing students unless you had undertaken a project that could stand in the real world. It's tough to get into an ad agency like BBDO, DDB, and TBWA\Chiat\Day if you don't have any connections with the folks that work there. I have a friend that works at TBWA\Chiat\Day and he had to build a rapport or network with a friend who knows a friend who knows a friend who knows a friend who works there. He climbed the ladder, landed an internship there, and was hired there full-time. Another thing to consider is that you'll work a heavier than usual workload and yet, the pay will be somewhat disappointing for you as opposed to what consultants or investment bankers make.

You're a long ways away from getting there, but that's something to consider. I suggest that you take up Finance/Economics as a second major to go alongside Marketing, but hey, even the most recognizable businesses hire bright liberal arts grads into heavily business-related positions. Worry about that when you get there.

Yeah, I've heard the horror stories of getting into advertising. My aunt works at a pretty large marketing agency, and she's been in the business for over a decade, working at a bunch of different places--Mattel, Fox, Universal, Sony--and she just landed me an internship/job (paying internship?) at her agency that hopefully will help me in the experience department. Do you think it would be better to be a psych major or something involving business?

Ivys are way out of reach for me... my GPA for soph/junior year is about 3.7-3.8 and my SAT is at 2000 right now, but I'm retaking it next month, and I'm pretty confident I can get 2100-2200; I originally took it last October, and I learned so much over the past year, especially Math, because my teacher last year wasn't a horrible b**** like the year before. Anyways... I'm thinking of UC San Diego, Irvine, and UCLA as my reach school. Not sure I'm ready to move far away from home yet.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:27 pm

brandnew wrote:Yeah, I've heard the horror stories of getting into advertising. My aunt works at a pretty large marketing agency, and she's been in the business for over a decade, working at a bunch of different places--Mattel, Fox, Universal, Sony--and she just landed me an internship/job (paying internship?) at her agency that hopefully will help me in the experience department. Do you think it would be better to be a psych major or something involving business?

Ivys are way out of reach for me... my GPA for soph/junior year is about 3.7-3.8 and my SAT is at 2000 right now, but I'm retaking it next month, and I'm pretty confident I can get 2100-2200; I originally took it last October, and I learned so much over the past year, especially Math, because my teacher last year wasn't a horrible b**** like the year before. Anyways... I'm thinking of UC San Diego, Irvine, and UCLA as my reach school. Not sure I'm ready to move far away from home yet.

I think it's best if you double majored in marketing and a business-related subject like finance, which is fairly high in demand, along with accounting. That will give you a safety net if things fall through for you when it comes to looking for a marketing job.

I'm curious, what does a 2000-2200 mean now with the new SAT's? I figure it's something like a 1200-1300 based off the old scale.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Check out Collegeboard.com....they have everything you need to know about every school
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Webster11 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:03 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
brandnew wrote:Yeah, I've heard the horror stories of getting into advertising. My aunt works at a pretty large marketing agency, and she's been in the business for over a decade, working at a bunch of different places--Mattel, Fox, Universal, Sony--and she just landed me an internship/job (paying internship?) at her agency that hopefully will help me in the experience department. Do you think it would be better to be a psych major or something involving business?

I think it's best if you double majored in marketing and a business-related subject like finance, which is fairly high in demand, along with accounting. That will give you a safety net if things fall through for you when it comes to looking for a marketing job.

I'm curious, what does a 2000-2200 mean now with the new SAT's? I figure it's something like a 1200-1300 based off the old scale.

Actually 1330 - 1470
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk