Best Schools by Major? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Best Schools by Major?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Schools by Major?

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:10 am

I'm in the process of looking at/applying to schools, and I'm trying to narrow down a list to consider... I've been looking to find some sort of guide that can help me out with sorting the best schools by specific major. I'm looking for the best marketing schools in the nation, I know Texas is up there as one of the best, but I'm not really sure of much else. My search so far has not gotten any results. Can anyone help me out with this?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 am

I go to university of tampa.. seems like their marketing is pretty good as they have internships with the Bucs, Drays and Lightining..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby DaQ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 am

For broadcast journalism, you got BU, Syracuse, and if you're out west, USC.

Northwestern and its MeDill school may be the best in print journalism, though I know Syracuse and BU are pretty good in that department as well.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 3 run homer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:00 am

Hamburger University http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/career/ha ... rsity.html ;-D :-B

bah I did a prelim search for you, and really came up empty too, unless you want to get your degree online.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:35 am

It's impossible to tell; there are too many universities. You have the Ivy League and the Ivy League-esque which are super expensive and difficult to get into. Then you have really huge private schools that cost a fortune and then really small private schools that even more expensive. Then you have huge public universities like Penn State and Michigan that are a toss up sometimes education wise. Then you have the cheap public schools, small, medium and large that are questionable but sometimes a good value for class size, then you have the state schools which are even cheaper, and sometimes only have one decent program, if that...

See, it's impossible.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:55 pm

DaQ wrote:For broadcast journalism, you got BU, Syracuse, and if you're out west, USC.

Northwestern and its MeDill school may be the best in print journalism, though I know Syracuse and BU are pretty good in that department as well.

The best journalism schools are Columbia and Northwestern.

Syracuse is the best broadcast journalism school. BU is also considered very good.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:57 pm

You also should consider that your undergrade doesn't matter as much these days as it used to. If you want to get ahead in life you need a grad degree from a good school (especially if you want to go into marketing).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Half Massed » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:29 am

I'd recommend checking out some ranking magazines like Newsweek or Princeton Review.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 am

thedude wrote:You also should consider that your undergrade doesn't matter as much these days as it used to. If you want to get ahead in life you need a grad degree from a good school (especially if you want to go into marketing).

True, and I hate it. Walking around with a BA is nearly worthless to me. It's either back to school or NYPD/FDNY and I'm heavily leaning towards the latter. But, as the dude said, grad schools mean a lot these days, more than undergrad...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:10 am

yup all very true...thats why a very good strategy is going to a cheap inexpensive state school first and then go to a solid university after. doesnt make much sense to get yourself in excess of 100,000 in debt and then it doesnt matter anymore.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk