Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Team Revenues vs. Team Payrolls

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Team Revenues vs. Team Payrolls

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:27 pm

LINK

I read a lot of discussions (esp ALeast discussions) about how unfair it is that one can spend so much more then another team, the unfair advantages, etc. And just this morning I found an article on forbes.com about teams revenues, values, operating incomes, etc.
Here are a few highlights that I found interesting:

Top 10 MLB Revenues (MILL):
264 New York Yankees
201 Boston Red Sox
180 New York Mets
173 Seattle Mariners
170 Chicago Cubs
167 Philadelphia Phillies
166 Los Angeles Dodgers
162 Atlanta Braves
159 San Francisco Giants
155 Houston Astros

Bottom 5 MLB Revenues:
107 Toronto Blue Jays
104 Kansas City Royals
103 Florida Marlins
102 Minnesota Twins
80 Washington Nationals

LINK 2
2006 Top 10 MLB Payrolls
$194,663,079 New York Yankees
$120,099,824 Boston Red Sox
$103,472,000 Los Angeles Angels
$102,750,667 Chicago White Sox
$101,084,963 New York Mets
$98,447,187 Los Angeles Dodgers
$94,424,499 Chicago Cubs
$92,551,503 Houston Astros
$90,156,876 Atlanta Braves
$90,056,419 San Francisco Giants

2006 Bottom 5 MLB Payrolls
$47,294,000 Kansas City Royals
$46,717,750 Pittsburgh Pirates
$41,233,000 Colorado Rockies
$35,417,967 Tampa Bay Devil Rays
$14,998,500 Florida Marlins

And this is what I found interesting.... I divided their 2006 Payroll by the 2005 Revenue(there will be a margin of error here) to get a clearer understanding of who really is shelling out in attempt to win.

% or Revenue spent on Payroll
79% Washington Nationals
79% Chicago White Sox
74% New York Yankees
70% Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
67% Toronto Blue Jays
66% Detroit Tigers
62% Minnesota Twins
60% Houston Astros
60% Boston Red Sox
59% Los Angeles Dodgers
59% St Louis Cardinals
57% San Francisco Giants
56% New York Mets
56% Atlanta Braves
55% Chicago Cubs
53% Oakland Athletics
53% Philadelphia Phillies
52% Milwaukee Brewers
51% Seattle Mariners
49% Baltimore Orioles
48% Cincinnati Reds
48% Texas Rangers
47% San Diego Padres
45% Kansas City Royals
44% Arizona Diamondbacks
43% Pittsburgh Pirates
40% Cleveland Indians
32% Tampa Bay Devil Rays
31% Colorado Rockies
15% Florida Marlins

I'm not sure if the revenue includes money from merchandising and such, and I didn't include info on revenue sharing, but I'm suprised/impressed to see that the yankees spend the third most. I would of guessed something more like the Redsox at 60%.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1432
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SanDiego

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:31 pm

And the Marlins ownder (Loria?) should be ashamed of himself.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1432
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SanDiego

Postby Matthias » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Well, as is chronicled elsewhere on these boards, with the Yankees you also have to consider the profits from the YES Network (they don't get two bucks a subscriber for the Boston-New York Poker Showdown). And that adds in about $100MM or so in profits off of about $260MM in Revenues.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6363941.html

Also, you have to be very careful how you use the #s because there's probably a fixed cost of I really don't know but would guess about $10MM just to run a franchise. To pay for the front office, the operations, the minor league clubs, and all that. Which would impact the lower-revenue clubs to a greater extent (as it would be a higher %age of their available Revenue). So really what you should consider is revenue as a portion of available income (and for the Yankees you'd have to reduce their revenue by their income-sharing # as well).
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4826
(Past Year: -34)
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:And the Marlins ownder (Loria?) should be ashamed of himself.


for what? making the most out of his money? his marlins are very competitive team and should be lauded for running a highly efficent team when it comes to $/wins.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6472
(Past Year: -36)
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:40 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:And the Marlins ownder (Loria?) should be ashamed of himself.


for what? making the most out of his money? his marlins are very competitive team and should be lauded for running a highly efficent team when it comes to $/wins.

...and if he spent a little bit more of that money, he could add a few very good players to mix in with the young guys and have a team that fans want to see. The team is still mediocre and are only in playoff contention due to the NL being absolutley horrid. That's far from anything that deserves praise.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1575
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Postby slomo007 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:01 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:And the Marlins ownder (Loria?) should be ashamed of himself.


for what? making the most out of his money? his marlins are very competitive team and should be lauded for running a highly efficent team when it comes to $/wins.

...and if he spent a little bit more of that money, he could add a few very good players to mix in with the young guys and have a team that fans want to see. The team is still mediocre and are only in playoff contention due to the NL being absolutley horrid. That's far from anything that deserves praise.


One could argue that a high priced veteran could really screw up the chemistry in the clubhouse at this point.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11890
(Past Year: -70)
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:08 pm

I hate the rockies management. give me a break ... those greedy jerks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26605
(Past Year: -117)
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:And the Marlins ownder (Loria?) should be ashamed of himself.


for what? making the most out of his money? his marlins are very competitive team and should be lauded for running a highly efficent team when it comes to $/wins.

...and if he spent a little bit more of that money, he could add a few very good players to mix in with the young guys and have a team that fans want to see. The team is still mediocre and are only in playoff contention due to the NL being absolutley horrid. That's far from anything that deserves praise.


One could argue that a high priced veteran could really screw up the chemistry in the clubhouse at this point.

One could also argue that if they had more stable production from their outfield during the season that they wouldn't have started the season so poorly and would be leading the wildcard. I'm not saying they should have pulled a KC and signed guys like Reggie Sanders and Doug M. Just that if the spent a bit more then what they do, that they could be a lot better. Also it's not like they have the most stable club house in the league.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1575
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

The Marlins owner makes me sick. I don't even want to mention all the firesales he's signed off on, although to the managements credit they have worked out pretty well.

But the fact that he has a rookie manager that is actually making something out of this 15 million dollar payroll and Loria actually wanted to fire him cause Girardi told him to stop crying in the stands is ridiculous.

Obviously, Loria is his boss and Girardi should treat him with respect but he also should do the same for Girardi. He shouldn't hand him a bag of poo and tell him to make diamonds out of it.

Loria is certainly up in the rankings as the worst sports owner, I think way worse than the Walmart cashier/bagger from KC.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 896
(Past Year: -17)
Joined: 4 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NJ

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:50 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:The Marlins owner makes me sick. I don't even want to mention all the firesales he's signed off on, although to the managements credit they have worked out pretty well.

To be fair, I think Loria only was the owner for the last one.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1575
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron