Howie Kendrick update -#s don't say it all - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Howie Kendrick update -#s don't say it all

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Howie Kendrick update -#s don't say it all

Postby johnsamo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:47 pm

The box scores don't always tell the whole story. Been watching his games, virtually every game it's the same, first at bat, he looks bad, 2nd at bat, fouls a lot more off, occassionally gets ahit, 3rd at bat, gets hits or line drives out...

As the say in Terminator 2, he's a "learning" computer." I think once he sees the league a little more, his #s will jump a lot. Also, he's so good at making contact at anything in the zone, he started out swinging at the pitchers pitch and grounding out or popping up a lot. He's learning to lay off more and wait for his pitch.

I see big #s for this guy in the years to come. If you've got a keeper spot and want to take a flyer, this is the guy, or he's a guy to draft earlier than the rankings say.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up. This type of information is valuable especially when you don't get to see other teams play everyday. I was considering him as a keeper in my main keeper league where we keep 5 players + an additional WW pickup. But, Hanely Ramirez has been too good this year to pass up especially with his 47 steals out of the shortstop position. I'm definitely going to target Howie next year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby moose32 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 am

Is he suppose to be a sb threat? I know the Angels like to run, and I'm debating between who to go after him or Rickie Weeks?
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jdsun1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:08 pm

Samo...with his recent slump and the recent callup of Morales do you think they start to sit kendrick some or just keep Morales on the bench?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby peartist » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm

He's definitely a SB threat depending on where they place him in the lineup. Problem is, he's in the same lineup as Figgins. I envision him as the perfect #2 hitter.
peartist
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:46 am

peartist wrote:He's definitely a SB threat depending on where they place him in the lineup. Problem is, he's in the same lineup as Figgins. I envision him as the perfect #2 hitter.

Me too. IF they would just play him! Kendry Morales and Kennnedy over him? Come on!
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 am

I started him this week after Hafner went down figuring he would do pretty well against the White Sox pitching that has an era over 5 for the year.

Of course LAA has about as much offense as most single A ballclubs so my line from him is this:

2 for 9 with 0 runs, 0 hr, 0 rbi and 0 sb and 1 missed game.

Nice.

Hope he does something against Texas this weekend. I really could use a couple 2 for 4 nights with some runs and rbi and even a hr or sb ;)
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cobbs87 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:43 am

I don't think Figgins really limits his steal potential. The Angels steal with everyone regardless not to mention Figgins is hitting 9th lately.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby johnsamo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I think the Angels stategy is, hope or the playoffs this year (though it's unlikely unless the A's collapse), but prepare for a big run for the ring next year, where I expect the Angels to sign a big free agent OF. They're really one bat away from being an elite team. And that means, Kendrick keeps playing, he's the future.

Lee and Soriano are big targets, but also a possible Vernon Wells trade, as everybody knows Wells won't re-sign with the BJs next year, so he mght be a one-year fix. The thinking is, Anderson is going to DH a lot, and Vladdy will more as well.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Hobbes » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:47 pm

johnsamo wrote:I think the Angels stategy is, hope or the playoffs this year (though it's unlikely unless the A's collapse), but prepare for a big run for the ring next year, where I expect the Angels to sign a big free agent OF. They're really one bat away from being an elite team. And that means, Kendrick keeps playing, he's the future.

Lee and Soriano are big targets, but also a possible Vernon Wells trade, as everybody knows Wells won't re-sign with the BJs next year, so he mght be a one-year fix. The thinking is, Anderson is going to DH a lot, and Vladdy will more as well.

I'm hoping my Braves trade Andruw Jones to you guys for some of your young guys/prospects. Andruw will be in the final year of his contract and will almost certainly be too expensive for the Braves to re-sign for 2008. You guys have some nice young talent and the Braves need to re-distribute their payroll now that the streak is over. We love Andruw but we won't be able to afford him.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates