Edison Vólquez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Edison Vólquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edison Vólquez

Postby powenM » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Ive heard varying thoughts on him. Do u think he has any real upside?
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby powenM » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:05 pm

I know hes no longer in the minors & has been with the Rangers for a bit now but just wondering what u think he'll do...
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:23 pm

He's good... Nuff said...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:28 pm

FantasyGURU802 wrote:He's good... Nuff said...

I don't think he's better than Danks, Diamond, or Hurley though.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby shortsavage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:19 pm

I'll agree with you on Eric Hurley being a better prospect than Edinson Volquez, but not John Danks or Thomas Diamond.

Danks has a solid strikeout rate as a 21-year-old who has already spent time in AAA (9.90K/9), but his 1.41 WHIP and 22 HR allowed in a 140.0 inning split between AA and AAA dont' project very well in my mind. I think if Texas inserted Danks into their rotation now, he would get rocked even harder than Volquez. He still needs more seasoning in AAA.

Walking 5.44 batters per nine innings in 127.3 AA innings, Diamond, 23, is probably heading to the bullpen. His strikeout rate 10.11K/9 still shines, but a guy his age should have done more in AA.

All in all, the Rangers' DVD trio didn't live up to its hype this season. Send them back to netflix and try something new unless you are in a league with a very deep minor league system. I'd go after guys like Franklin Morales, Johnny Cueto, and Clay Buckholtz, along with Hurley over Danks, Volquez, and Diamond.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
FantasyGURU802 wrote:He's good... Nuff said...

I don't think he's better than Danks, Diamond, or Hurley though.

None of them are up in the Majors yet... Volquez is virtually gauranteed to start the year with Texas next year. ;-D
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:56 pm

shortsavage wrote:I'll agree with you on Eric Hurley being a better prospect than Edinson Volquez, but not John Danks or Thomas Diamond.

Danks has a solid strikeout rate as a 21-year-old who has already spent time in AAA (9.90K/9), but his 1.41 WHIP and 22 HR allowed in a 140.0 inning split between AA and AAA dont' project very well in my mind. I think if Texas inserted Danks into their rotation now, he would get rocked even harder than Volquez. He still needs more seasoning in AAA.

Walking 5.44 batters per nine innings in 127.3 AA innings, Diamond, 23, is probably heading to the bullpen. His strikeout rate 10.11K/9 still shines, but a guy his age should have done more in AA.

All in all, the Rangers' DVD trio didn't live up to its hype this season. Send them back to netflix and try something new unless you are in a league with a very deep minor league system. I'd go after guys like Franklin Morales, Johnny Cueto, and Clay Buckholtz, along with Hurley over Danks, Volquez, and Diamond.

Cueto isn't anything special. I watched him pitch in Dayton and while his accuracy is commendable his velocity often times doesn't reach 90mph. The Reds organization don't even consider him in their top 5 pitching prospects. So, I really think you're wrong there despite his record. I would pick Danks over all the guys u mentioned since I believe he has by far the most upside with Hurley & Buckholtz close seconds. Diamond has actually pitched quite well this season despite his BB numbers. 12-5 record with a .219 BAA would transfer very well to the next level if he can limit his walks. His ERA would undoubtedly come down in a hurry. I actually think Volquez is more likely to move to the pen since he's had similar BB tendencies and is a righty.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:39 pm

Danks and Hurley are the best of that group. I wouldn't touch any of the other guys.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball