Johan Santana and the Triple Crown - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan Santana and the Triple Crown

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johan Santana and the Triple Crown

Postby byfrcp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Anyone see him not winning the Triple Crown this year? Even after seeing how amazing he is, this year is incredible. Before this year I still wasn't convinced that he should be taken in the top 6, but after this year I'd take him 4th no doubt.

Anyone know the last time someone won the triple crown?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johan Santana and the Triple Crown

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:00 pm

byfrcp wrote:Anyone see him not winning the Triple Crown this year? Even after seeing how amazing he is, this year is incredible. Before this year I still wasn't convinced that he should be taken in the top 6, but after this year I'd take him 4th no doubt.

Anyone know the last time someone won the triple crown?

RJ in 2002
Pedro in 1999
Roger Clemens in 1998 and 1997

Not nearly as difficult as the batting Triple Crown is now. Still a great accomplishment.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby byfrcp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:02 pm

I wasn't in fantasy baseball back then but when were these guys generally taken in drafts?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:03 pm

In the last decade, there have actually been 4 winners. Randy Johnson did it most recently in 2002 with Arizona, Pedro did it in 1999 with Boston, and Roger Clemens did it twice with Toronto in 1997 and 1998 (which broke a 50+ year streak of nobody doing it in the AL).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:05 pm

Oh and I do expect Santana to do it, unless Halladay runs the table or something to end this season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:07 pm

byfrcp wrote:I wasn't in fantasy baseball back then but when were these guys generally taken in drafts?

In our leagues they were generally taken the same time Johan is now. Someone would reach in the middle of the first, but normally end of the first / early second round. RJ was the highest pitcher ever taken at #4 and of course that was in 1999 when he was out half the year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 pm

Tavish wrote:
byfrcp wrote:I wasn't in fantasy baseball back then but when were these guys generally taken in drafts?

In our leagues they were generally taken the same time Johan is now. Someone would reach in the middle of the first, but normally end of the first / early second round. RJ was the highest pitcher ever taken at #4 and of course that was in 1999 when he was out half the year.

2003 maybe. His 1999 year was pretty dang good going by my memory right now.

Yea just looked it up 17 wins, 364 K's, 2.48 ERA, 1.02 WHIP
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Pitching's still just so much more risky from year to year. Just when you think a pitcher is old reliable, he gets hurt.

Santana clearly has the talent to deserve a top 5 pick, but I'll let someone else take him and stick with a batter.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Smee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:33 am

Santana's a fun player to own. I had him last year when he was on that crazy winning streak. Talking trash on the boards was so much fun..."14K? That is the work two mortal men!"

But here's the Paul Harvey rest of the story...I ended up sixth out of fourteen in my league. In fairness, that was my first fantasy baseball team and I drafted horribly.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:33 am

Santana I think is starting to prove that he is a legitimate top 5 pick. THere is NO one as dominant AND consistent right now. As long as he is healthy, there is no reason to doubt he won't be among the leaders in virtually every pitching stat.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers