Another reason I'm moving to canada; Secret CIA Prisons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Another reason I'm moving to canada; Secret CIA Prisons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another reason I'm moving to canada; Secret CIA Prisons

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:10 pm

What is sad is that when our prisoners are tortured or capture in secret prison's we cry foul. yet when we do it. Its just a disagreement of policy between us and Amnesty International.

If you are for torturing prisoners and keeping them in secret facilities then don't complain when it happens to our soldiers.

Matt Lauer: And yet you admitted that there were these CIA secret facilities. OK?

President Bush: So what? Why is that not within the law?

Matt Lauer: The head of Amnesty International says secret sites are against international law.

President Bush: Well, we just disagree with him. Plus, my job is to protect you. And most American people, if I said [to them] that we had who we think is the mastermind of the 9/11, they would say, “Why don’t you see if you can’t get information without torturing him,” which is what we did.

Matt Lauer: I don’t want to let this “within the law issue” slip though. I mean, if, in fact, there was water boarding used with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and for the viewers, that’s basically when you strap someone to a board and you make them feel as if they’re going to drown by putting them underwater, if that was legal and within the law, why couldn’t you do it at Guantanamo? Why did you have to go to a secret location around the world?

President Bush: I’m not going to talk about techniques. And, I’m not going explain to the enemy what we’re doing. All I’m telling you is that you’ve asked me whether or not we’re doing things to protect the American people, and I want the American people to know we are doing so.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 pm

Link? Even the commas are misplaced in that. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:14 pm

acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks! ;-D

The article didn't say anywhere that we mistreated the guy in any way though, so what's the story? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 pm

Madison wrote:

Thanks! ;-D

The article didn't say anywhere that we mistreated the guy in any way though, so what's the story? :-?

The story is that its ok to have secret prisons and torture people in them
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Thanks! ;-D

And where did it say we tortured anyone? Oh that's right, just another "rumor" that gets believed because people don't seperate their feelings from facts.

Secret prisons are nothing new. Read the article. If we have a prison in Iraq, wouldn't it be pretty stupid to make it public as to where exactly it's at? Almost a must to have a secret prison over there. Would be suicide not to.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Thanks! ;-D

And where did it say we tortured anyone? Oh that's right, just another "rumor" that gets believed because people don't seperate their feelings from facts.

Secret prisons are nothing new. Read the article. If we have a prison in Iraq, wouldn't it be pretty stupid to make it public as to where exactly it's at? Almost a must to have a secret prison over there. Would be suicide not to.

No, no, no, no... don't let my NPR obsession jump in here. We torture, it's fact that has been confirmed by Dick Cheney and an understandably upset John McCain. The question is more or less not whether or not we torture but how. You see, that's what makes this all so interesting; secret prisons, reports of waterboarding and psychological torture, etc, etc.... no one is questioning whether or not the US tortures, because we do... the question is whether or not it's justified.

A few months ago Bush and Cheney both fought a ban on torture brought to the senate by John McCain. I believe it was recently endorsed and just this week the Army field manual was amended to disclude certain types of torture.

I understand the debate; is torture justified? Does it work? Are there long term psychological effects? It's difficult to say and experts tend to give conflicting reports on the matter. But yes, of course we are torturing suspected terrorist in secret sites in foreign countries; it is against our constitution but our President believes he has a right to bend the rules in favor of national security, and in many ways he can. That's why it's a debate and not an outrage.

The matter gets considerably more complicated when you throw in Gitmo and the thousands detained there after 9/11 without trial or cause.

Another debate is that we're not actually hurting anyone; we're not sticking bamboo up anyone's fingernails like the Viet Cong... waterboarding is about the worst of it. Apparently these terrorists are scared to death of dogs too so they use them quite a bit but just as a scare tactic.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk