SD, STL, WAS Prospects (help me dig) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

SD, STL, WAS Prospects (help me dig)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:13 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Shawn Hill looked pretty good this year, though I know he made the majors. I doubt he exceeded the innings limit.

If you're still looking for Nationals prospects.

Even in the Nationals system, I don't think Shawn Hill is really even a top 5 prospect.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:28 pm

Padres had a very strong 2006 draft; the list will probably look a lot different next season, but for now I'd say the big two are Headley, Carrillo. Blanks is also someone I'd look at; he posted an .836 OPS at A ball and is only 19. Ekstrom gets a lot of love on San Diego forums as well.

2006 draftees Antonelli, Huffman, Freese, Culp, Leblanc, Buschman, and Hunter are all going to be vying in a few years.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:50 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Shawn Hill looked pretty good this year, though I know he made the majors. I doubt he exceeded the innings limit.

If you're still looking for Nationals prospects.

Even in the Nationals system, I don't think Shawn Hill is really even a top 5 prospect.

Why not? Is it his 5/1 k/bb ratio in the minors or was it his 2.77 era?

Honestly, I think he could be a servicable starter/long relief guy in the near future if he can learn to deal with men on base. He gave up 23 hits in 31 innings with nobody on this year but gave up 23 hits in 19 innings with men on. Clearly, it's a small sample size, but I think he's probably a little underrated in prospect circles.

And I agree that he wouldn't be top 5 in most systems, but I think he contends in Washington. Who are you planning to list above him?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:47 am

Simply put, 25-year-olds who just spent almost all of their season in AA and don't miss bats all that often aren't top prospect material in my mind.

I'd rather default to someone in the lower levels who could turn into at least an average regular.

As I mentioned above, I like Chris Marrero, Shairon Martis, and Kory Casto more than Shawn Hill.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 pm

shortsavage wrote:Thanks for the ledes Havok.

I like Chase Headley with San Diego.

Mark McCormick and Tyler Greene aren't really up to my prospect stardards for STL.

Still have to look into Washinton's guys.

I also like Romero (he just does well no matter what) and Wells (great arm though has some wildness) in SD.

You might have to go to recent draft picks to find 2 other Cardinal prospects. I know McCormick was wanted by the Mets when they offered Garcia to the St. Louis and were turned down. All Green has to do is prove mora valuable than Eckstein which is do-able imo.

Hinckley is still young though I don't know if he'll ever recover. But I think they're actually deeper than a team like the Giants and Cards right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:10 pm

cardinals

rasmus is the clear cut number one. i have three candidates for #2 and #3.

former top prospect blake hawksworth has returned from a multitude of injuries and pitched well.

jaime garcia has emerged as a solid lefty pitching prospect but is still in the low levels.

2006 first rounder adam ottavino has pitched well in his debut.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby shortsavage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:35 pm

I'm with you on Ottavino. We looked into Hawksworth and Garcia but ended up picking a more "toolsy" guy as the Cardinals number three.

Our work will be published division by division within the next day or two at Project Prospect. I'm thinking about talking to Madison to see if the Cafe wants to post it, too - since folks around here definitely helped me out.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Very nice
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:24 pm

shortsavage wrote:Our work will be published division by division within the next day or two at Project Prospect. I'm thinking about talking to Madison to see if the Cafe wants to post it, too - since folks around here definitely helped me out.

We're in business!
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball