I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:33 pm

We have a Start/Sit forum? :-?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 743)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 am

Leftovers ususally has all the information you need to make an informed decision, you just gotta dig.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:43 am

I'll try to go in there once a week to answer questions although I haven't been around much lately. I enjoy putting my neck on the line but I know most don't, hence the limited responses.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 am

if you're talking about putting your neck out on the line take a peek at the prediction forum for this past season, some of the picks look silly by this time. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukrneal » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:15 am

I don't think I've ever been to that forum. It's mostly because I make those decisions on my own. I'd rather get it wrong myself. It's impossible to make the right decision all of the time, and I don't want to be resentful to others.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:55 am

I don't know if others share my view, but here's why I rearely participate in either of those two forums.

Baseball is a game of numbers. Large numbers, as in the law of, as in statistics. On a day-to-day basis, there is absolutely no way to reliably predict who will win any given matchup. So, I almost never think about my decisions as who to play or sit today (my one exception is that I platoon lefties, but then there's not an opinion--play them against righties, sit them against lefties). So, to me, that forum is just a bunch of guys trying to beat the house. It's a useless exercise.

The trade forum is one I feel where it is almost impossible to give a good answer. In analyzing a trade, I want to know more than just the players involved. I want to know the full standings in your league and the full scoring system, so I can understand what the impact is going to be. Very few trade questions provide that, so I don't feel I can give people good advice in those forums.

In football, matchups are extremely important. So, I'm not surprised the who to play forum is active. In addition, there's less diversity in league scoring (I think). So, trades are easier to analyze.

My 2 cents...
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby BritSox » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:20 am

I find it very difficult to give sit/start advice for roto leagues. H2H matchups, though, it's fairly possible to work out what a guy stands to lose by a shelling, and gain by a QS, and then by adding the subjective element of how good he appears to be, and how favourable the matchup is, to work out roughly the likelihood of the start being worthwhile.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby JTWood » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:38 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The trade forum is one I feel where it is almost impossible to give a good answer. In analyzing a trade, I want to know more than just the players involved. I want to know the full standings in your league and the full scoring system, so I can understand what the impact is going to be. Very few trade questions provide that, so I don't feel I can give people good advice in those forums.

This is something is always a big hang up for me, too. I'm not about to recommend any action based on the scant info most posts provide, which is rather ironic. One of my earliest posts here at the Cafe was me asking why no one replied to my roster/trade help threads. I was told that I provided too much information and that turned people off.

What are you going to do???

Oh yeah, the other big thing keeping me from posting a lot there is umm... what do you call them... oh yeah, 60-hour work weeks and a company Internet filter.

That doesn't exactly help pad the post count, you know? :-[
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:26 pm

JTWood wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The trade forum is one I feel where it is almost impossible to give a good answer. In analyzing a trade, I want to know more than just the players involved. I want to know the full standings in your league and the full scoring system, so I can understand what the impact is going to be. Very few trade questions provide that, so I don't feel I can give people good advice in those forums.

This is something is always a big hang up for me, too. I'm not about to recommend any action based on the scant info most posts provide, which is rather ironic. One of my earliest posts here at the Cafe was me asking why no one replied to my roster/trade help threads. I was told that I provided too much information and that turned people off.

I think one of the reasons is because you put a ton of detailed info on there, that a responder will have to post advice just as detailed as the info you've provided. Understandably, there are folks who don't have the time to come up with a detailed response and rummage on every tidbit you bring up. I make it a habit to post something substantial other than "do the trade" or "I prefer this over that just because". If your league is more complex than a standard 5x5, then the average fantasy baseballer will have to think outside the box for a bit and some folks don't feel comfortable doing that.

What I find is that if you ask the poster for more detailed information such as league rules, scoring, his/her place in the standings, they'll post that needed info for you to make well-informed feedback. I see that most posters on the Draft board won't just treat their threads as messages in a bottle given the magnitude of the decision at hand.

Furthermore, when I post a trade question, I normally give pro/con arguments as to why I should/should not make or offer a deal. That way, I'm either getting good reasoning, not necessarily Level 3 reasoning, but nonetheless good reasoning as to why their word leans a certain way. I normally make trades on my own anyway, but I'm always open to suggestion, especially on a deal that could go either way.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Re: I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole....

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:42 pm

mushman05 wrote:but I am beginning to feel that posting in the Who to Start/Sit forum is basically useless...I mean aside from one or two guys, namely perlick and nhssportsfan who have been HUGE helps to my baseball success this season, NO ONE contributes much feedback at all to actual legit who to start/sit questions.

There is nothing more aggrevating then going to your lineup question a day or two later, seeing it has 50+ views and only ONE reply! I mean what is that?

Perhaps I'm a little bit out of line, but is anyone else feeling me on this one? I feel like that forum is designed for everyone to HELP each other, and I'm not really seeing that in return. I probably offer my opinion towards lineup advise 15-20 a week, and to post what I feel is a legitimate tough lineup question and not get more than 2 or 3 responses kindof pisses me off and I feel goes against the spirit of what the Start/Sit forum was designed for.

And again this isnt necessarily a criticism of the mods or whatever, I love posting here and dont want to get banned. Just felt like throwing my two cents in. Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on my random incoherency??? OR maybe it is just me?

-mush

Football ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers