I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole....

Postby mushman05 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 pm

but I am beginning to feel that posting in the Who to Start/Sit forum is basically useless...I mean aside from one or two guys, namely perlick and nhssportsfan who have been HUGE helps to my baseball success this season, NO ONE contributes much feedback at all to actual legit who to start/sit questions.

There is nothing more aggrevating then going to your lineup question a day or two later, seeing it has 50+ views and only ONE reply! I mean what is that?

Perhaps I'm a little bit out of line, but is anyone else feeling me on this one? I feel like that forum is designed for everyone to HELP each other, and I'm not really seeing that in return. I probably offer my opinion towards lineup advise 15-20 a week, and to post what I feel is a legitimate tough lineup question and not get more than 2 or 3 responses kindof pisses me off and I feel goes against the spirit of what the Start/Sit forum was designed for.

And again this isnt necessarily a criticism of the mods or whatever, I love posting here and dont want to get banned. Just felt like throwing my two cents in. Does anyone have any thoughts/feedback on my random incoherency??? OR maybe it is just me?

-mush
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:53 pm

the few times ive visted that forum i can see where youre coming from. not sure what can be done about it though. and im assuming at this time of year, playoff time, there are a lot less people still involved in basball, which means less feedback of course.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mushman05 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:the few times ive visted that forum i can see where youre coming from. not sure what can be done about it though. and im assuming at this time of year, playoff time, there are a lot less people still involved in basball, which means less feedback of course.

Yeah I guess you are right. And I dont mean to sound like a prick, but in contrast to the amount and timeliness of responses that you get in the football forum, its like night and day.

I was just curious as to why this was.
**2006 Summer Bums League Champion**
mushman05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:03 pm

mushman05 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:the few times ive visted that forum i can see where youre coming from. not sure what can be done about it though. and im assuming at this time of year, playoff time, there are a lot less people still involved in basball, which means less feedback of course.

Yeah I guess you are right. And I dont mean to sound like a prick, but in contrast to the amount and timeliness of responses that you get in the football forum, its like night and day.

I was just curious as to why this was.

the fact is fantasy football is just a much easier game so many more people play.

fantasy football cafe = opinion posts

fantasy baseball cafe = numbers based facts posts.

this place is just more cuthroat when it comes to posting so people probably hold back thier opinions or ideas more often.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby noseeum » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I get the same feeling about the trade forum.

Most people post their question and never answer others. I rarely post in there, but when I do, I make a point to answer at least ten others, as I want to give back help when I ask for it.

Not much love the other way very often, no matter how many WHIRs you see.

For the most part, I wonder if there are just too many forums. I pretty much come to leftovers for the most part because there will be interesting conversation.

Many of the others are so fragmented that not enough people visit them, IMO.

All that said, it's meant to be constructive criticism for my favorite baseball site on the web.

Love the FBC!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: I have to say, I love the FBC as a whole....

Postby bigken117 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm

mushman05 wrote:but I am beginning to feel that posting in the Who to Start/Sit forum is basically useless...I mean aside from one or two guys, namely perlick and nhssportsfan who have been HUGE helps to my baseball success this season, NO ONE contributes much feedback at all to actual legit who to start/sit questions.
-mush

Your sig says you missed the playoffs so I don't see how much help Perlick really was...

I spend zero time in there...I will usually help out in the DTK forum when I have spare time.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:42 pm

Whenever you post a thread in one those help forums place a link to it in your signature. Not a perfect solution but it will definitely drive up traffic to your thread.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Apples and Oranges, man; apples and oranges. Let us not forget the following:

1) The fantasy baseball season has been going on for nearly 6 months. We're coming down the home stretch. It's documented in these very forums that a large number of owners are either burning out, or switching gears to the fantasy football season. I imagine back in April/May the response to question ratio was much better.

2) In fantasy football, you only ask one start/sit question per week, basically. With baseball, it can be a near-daily occurrance; that could be a large contributing factor as to why one Cafe has a higher rate of replies on a given question type.

I'm not a frequent visitor of Start/Sit, as I play in a league with no bench, so beyond these general observations, I can't comment any further. However, keep those in mind, before getting too aggrivated. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:05 pm

The #1 reason? No one wants to stick their necks out on the line. I can't tell you how many times I've personally been torched for suggesting one way or the other. When you're right, no one says a word. When you're wrong, out come the people to make sure you let you know you were wrong.

Here's the last thread I responded to in the Start/Sit forum:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=231885&highlight=

I gave my opinion, and had 3 people questioning my reasoning for it, which is fine, but I had to waste more time in that thread than I wanted to. Even after being called "stubborn" because I wouldn't budge, other than the OP, no one said a word when Haren's final line came out.

9 innings, 8 hits, 0 walks, 1 ER, 5 K's, and a win.

Of course, had I been wrong and Haren got torched, I'm sure that thread would have reached two pages easy.

So, since people have to spend extra time to defend their "opinions" if someone highly disagrees with them, and they know they will get raked over the coals if they are wrong (even by the OP in many cases), they figure "why bother, and why waste my time trying to help?".

Answering posts in that forum is like walking through a field of land mines wearing a blindfold and earplugs. Once in awhile, I feel froggy and get in there, but for the most part it's just not worth the argument, so I don't bother.

EDIT: I need to add that anyone who helps out in there, especially Perlick and nhssportsfan, deserve to be treated well, as they are the ones trying to help the most, and risking themselves in the process.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:01 pm

I think it's a number of factors as to why you aren't getting appropriate feedback, and at times, on a not so timely basis on Start/Bench and the Draft forum, many of which have been noted already.

You can't really compare the FFC to the FBC simply because the learning curve to play fantasy football is easier. Fantasy baseball is not for the squeamish obviously. We spend January and February ranking players, participating in drafts from February to April, and when the show begins, it's like running the Tour de France non-stop for six months. Some people might lose interest somewhere down the line for whatever reason because fantasy baseball is not an instant gratification game, especially if you play Roto a lot.

I think the reason why you don't see the Start/Bench forum as active as you'd want it to be is because as Madison said, some folks will be reluctant to say start him and sit him and what-not, when their advice could heavily impact their decision. When all goes awry, well, they don't want to feel responsible for you going with a downer. In addition, there are knowledgeable folks out there who are reluctant to do so because start/bench isn't their forte. Personally, I see myself more as a trading expert and I'm comfortable with daily strategy, but I'm not comfortable in advising on who to start/bench most times. I'll pitch in every now and then, but guys like perlick, NH, and PWF do a fine job there: it's their specialty.

As for the draft forum, well, with trade deadlines finished in virtually every league, you'll get simple add/drop questions which don't exactly need to be made with hand-holding.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers