Borat makes an entrance - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Borat makes an entrance

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Absolutely one of the finest, funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It belongs in the Pantheon, I think. I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard as I did during the movie. At one point, I thought I was going to vomit from laughing too hard.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The fact that only 2 of the 3 guys filed though makes me wonder if perhaps they weren't drunk when they signed the consent forms.

Maybe nothing bad happened to him as a result of the movie and he hates frivolous lawsuits?

I did see this movie and really wish I hadn't. If I felt like going through all the horrible movies I've ever seen, this one could be the worst of the bunch (then again, I never did see Snakes on a Plane so there's a chance that Borat is not the worst movie in the hitory of the world - but a good chance it is). I don't want to relive it though, so let's just say it was incredibly dumb. :-t

I was perusing Rotten Tomatoes, and out of about 150 reviews, I'd say maybe 6 were negative. One guy wrote a review similar the one you just posted Madison (worst movie in the history of the world type stuff), so I decided to see where this guy stood on other movies.

He had given Snakes on a Plane a 5 out of 5. :-b

I actually thought Borat would be funny. Wasn't predicting "greatest of all time" funny or anything, but at least worth sitting through. The scene with the two naked men wrestling around was almost enough to convince me to give up and quit watching, especially after seeing a picture of his face just a few inches away from his son's manhood. I did finish the movie though, as all the reviews I had seen or heard about said it was a funny movie. Whoops. !+)

If those kinds of things are considered funny in today's world though, then I guess I'll be content watching the classics.

I will say I thought the scene in the car dealership was funny. Pretty bad that there's only one funny thing I can remember out of the whole movie.

After sitting through this thing, I'm sure I can make it through Snakes, so I'll probably give that a try at some point. Certainly can't be any worse than Borat was. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

I think a good way to sum up the movie is that, on the surface, it's extremely low-brow humor whose purpose to get cheap laughs from shock value. But underneath that it's pretty complex. I think that thoughtful people who care about how others are treated and have a personal and specific idea of how they are and should be portrayed, leave the movie pretty perplexed by it's popularity and humor.

A lot of people were upset at how it perpetuated stereotypes of the American South. Then again, those scenes aren't scripted. I tried to get a feel for how certain demographics perceived the movie; interestingly, many Southern and Christian publications give the movie a good review, citing that it points out how America has a long way to go when it comes to intolerance and dumb bigoted conformity. For instance, the Christian Science Monitor loved it.

Others, "not so much..."

(AgapePress) - If a deeply-accented reporter from Kazakhstan approaches you and asks to film the two of you while you use your occupation to teach him about American culture -- run. You are about to get punk'd. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan is the creation of edgy comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who also is the man behind the character "Ali G." Borat's fan base consists of the kind of people who find funny immensely vulgar comedy which produces its laughs at the expense of often completely innocent people. Unfortunately, there are many such fans. Borat had such a gargantuan per-screen average in its opening week that Fox is more than tripling its number of screens in its second week of release.

I am sure that Cohen would like nothing more than to be labeled a morally subversive envelope-pusher, and there is a side to his comedy which does force Americans to confront the worst in themselves. But self-evaluation can be achieved by more constructive means than mere debunking, and the movie is much more likely to pander to some college students' desire to watch a morally noxious film (while feeling superior to the mostly middle-class dupes that are Cohen's targets) than it is to turn them into the kind of reflective citizens who would want to repair this damaged world. At its worst, Borat desensitizes people to the very behaviors that need to be challenged (racism and religious bigotry, for example).

I think the article makes a good point, but I disagree with the last sentence; if someone is already inherently racist or bigoted, they're already desensitized, not to racism itself, but rather society's condemnation of it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:03 pm

It doesn't surprise me that Madison didn't like the movie. Not that thats a problem just I think I know your personality pretty well and I could see it not being for you.

I enjoyed it a whole lot but truthfully the skits probably are more enjoyable just because the story line was so stupid.

Its a hilarious "movie" although its really more of a long long skit then a movie.

As for those drunked frat boys...Like i've said I've been to USC/Columbia SC and thats pretty much an acurate example of Columbia SC frat boys at any time of the day
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk