A quick Justin Verlander review.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A quick Justin Verlander review....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A quick Justin Verlander review....

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:15 am

Right Handed Pitcher
Age 2/20/83
Height/Weight 6'5/200

Minor League Career
1.29 ERA
.91 WHIP
10.36 K/9
1.98 BB/9

Scouting...
91-94 mph 2 seam fastball
95-100 mph 4 seam fastball
73-80 mph curve

I've only really seen 2 pitches from Justin, fastball/curve. The thing with both of these two pitches though is that they are both plus pitches and he varies the speed on both alot. He works mainly with his 2 seam fastball that has decent movement but as soon as it looks like a guy is on his 93-94 mph 2 seamer he will pump an upper 90's mph 4 seamer by the guy. His curve is a nice (one to seven) breaker that I've seen anywhere from the lower 70's up to 80 mph. I haven't seen a change of any kind yet, though his lower 70's curve kinda acts like one. Him only really having 2 pitches seems to be the biggest reason he doesn't have gaudy strikeout numbers. I would think if he can come up with a consistant, good change he would easily have 9+ K/9. Even with "only" 2 reliable pitches he is a #1, if he can come up with a third pitch, look out!!! 8-o

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A quick Justin Verlander review....

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:39 am

J35J wrote:Right Handed Pitcher
Age 2/20/83
Height/Weight 6'5/200

Minor League Career
1.29 ERA
.91 WHIP
10.36 K/9
1.98 BB/9

Scouting...
73-80 mph curve

I've only really seen 2 pitches from Justin, fastball/curve. The thing with both of these two pitches though is that they are both plus pitches and he varies the speed on both alot. He works mainly with his 2 seam fastball that has decent movement but as soon as it looks like a guy is on his 93-94 mph 2 seamer he will pump an upper 90's mph 4 seamer by the guy. His curve is a nice (one to seven) breaker that I've seen anywhere from the lower 70's up to 80 mph. I haven't seen a change of any kind yet, though his lower 70's curve kinda acts like one. Him only really having 2 pitches seems to be the biggest reason he doesn't have gaudy strikeout numbers. I would think if he can come up with a consistant, good change he would easily have 9+ K/9. Even with "only" 2 reliable pitches he is a #1, if he can come up with a third pitch, look out!!! 8-o

Jason

He actually has a plus change. I like him in that he doesn't try to blow everything by hitters like most young pitchers with dominant stuff do. He has a very good game plan and seems to know how to get hitters out.

As he matures, he should start K'ing hitters more. He has the tools to be a dominant pitcher for years to come.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:53 am

Yoda wrote:
Age 2/20/83
Height/Weight 6'5/200

Minor League Career
1.29 ERA
.91 WHIP
10.36 K/9
1.98 BB/9

Scouting...
73-80 mph curve

Jason

He actually has a plus change. I like him in that he doesn't try to blow everything by hitters like most young pitchers with dominant stuff do. He has a very good game plan and seems to know how to get hitters out.

As he matures, he should start K'ing hitters more. He has the tools to be a dominant pitcher for years to come.

I agree with you. I was actually surprised to see just as many 91-92 mph fastballs as I did 96+. He works really fast on the mound and knows what he is doing out there. I haven't seen his change yet, though I've only seen him pitch 1 game and parts of another. I'll take your word for it though.

...... He's good! ;-7

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:58 am

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Age 2/20/83
Height/Weight 6'5/200

Minor League Career
1.29 ERA
.91 WHIP
10.36 K/9
1.98 BB/9

Scouting...
73-80 mph curve

Jason

I agree with you. I was actually surprised to see just as many 91-92 mph fastballs as I did 96+. He works really fast on the mound and knows what he is doing out there. I haven't seen his change yet, though I've only seen him pitch 1 game and parts of another. I'll take your word for it though.

...... He's good! ;-7

Jason

He does not max out on every pitch but he can dial it up to 99 when he needs to.

Maybe he didn't have command of the change up in the games you watched but he definitely has one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers