Issy out - Wainwright or Looper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Issy out - Wainwright or Looper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Issy out - Wainwright or Looper?

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:26 am

From Yahoo:
Sep 8 The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports St. Louis Cardinals RP Braden Looper and RP Adam Wainwright have emerged as the two likely candidates to close games if CL Jason Isringhausen (hip) is sidelined for any period of time.

Issy has been horrible lately, but I had not heard about the hip injury. Any other info out there?

I would think that Looper would get first dibs given his closer experience with the Mets.
Last edited by bcb on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:08 am

Very interesting...a hip injury would certainly explain Isringhausen's struggles with his control.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby krazyjoe8 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:05 am

He is out at least a week, maybe the whole season.

Who do you think will replace him? I'd guess Looper but they may alternate both.
krazyjoe8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:06 am

He is out at least a week, maybe the whole season.

Where did you read this? Source?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby krazyjoe8 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:09 am

It was on ESPN
krazyjoe8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:12 am

From St. Louis Post Dispatch
Izzy done? Bad hip could end his season
PHOENIX — Cardinals closer Jason Isringhausen will not pitch in this weekend's series against Arizona, and he expects to miss at least the next week as he attempts to alleviate pain and inflammation in his left hip that is at the root of his inconsistency.

Isringhausen blew his 10th save of the season Wednesday in Washington, and he alerted the team afterward that his problems with an arthritic hip have increased to a point that he can no longer pitch effectively through the injury.

"It's just gradually gotten worse and worse," Isringhausen said Thursday, when he marked his 34th birthday by getting treatment. "I've never had this much problem with my control. The other day (Wednesday), I had no idea where the ball was going.

"It's frustrating because even the outings when I don't give up runs it seems I really struggle to get my three outs," Isringhausen continued. "Just my body makes it hard to get three outs consistently."

The Cardinals will attack the inflammation in his left hip over the weekend and hope that it helps return stability to the joint, which takes the brunt of his delivery as he lands his plant foot. The closer will meet with the team physician, Dr. George Paletta, on Monday, when Isringhausen said he expects to get a cortisone shot. At the least, he will need a couple of days for the cortisone to take effect. Other options, such as surgery now or after the season, will also be discussed.

Similarly, the Cardinals are weighing their ninth-inning options.

In Isringhausen's absence, the Cardinals have two likely candidates to handle his closing responsibility. Righthander Braden Looper has been a closer for both Florida and the New York Mets, and when he signed with the Cardinals, the club indicated he could develop into Isringhausen's heir. Looper has recently aced his setup role, getting eight wins in relief, but he continues to work on his effectiveness against lefties. The Cardinals would not shy from using matchups to dictate the ninth, said manager Tony La Russa.

Rookie Adam Wainwright, the more likely of the two to handle the closing job, has been the club's stingiest reliever. He leads the team with 16 holds -- and holds are assessed by the same rules as save situations, but they apply to middle innings.

"I feel a little more comfortable with Wainwright (against lefties) because he's got more things that he can do to get a lefthander out," pitching coach Dave Duncan said. "He does all the things that you look for in a late-game pitcher. He warms up quick. He doesn't really get excited. The ingredients are all there."

Still not enough to go on. Wainwright or Looper anyone?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:16 am

From Jeff Gordon (STLTODAY):
Of course, at some point veteran players must yield to youth. The laws of nature dictate that. And the Cards are bearing up better than expected on that front.

Adam Wainwright is getting the first crack at replacing Izzy as the closer.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:20 am

wow, good timing. I was just about to drop Guardado (since he's pretty much done for the year) so now I can move Izzy to my DL spot and pick up another player like I wanted.

My closers on the year:

Gagne
Guardado
Izzy
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:43 am

woodson_28 wrote:wow, good timing. I was just about to drop Guardado (since he's pretty much done for the year) so now I can move Izzy to my DL spot and pick up another player like I wanted.

My closers on the year:

Gagne
Guardado
Izzy

Yeah, Wainwright took the place of Duchscherer on about half of my teams. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:47 am

Just to clarify: I haven't heard anywhere that Issy is going to the DL. It sounds like that might be likely, but I haven't heard it mentioned at all. Sounds like a cortizone shot on Monday. Fur sure out for next week.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates