Pink Floyd
Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Tool
Rage Against the Machine

:)

Great list, but no Zeppelin? Gotta put Zepp on a list like this. I don't care for GD, so I'd swap them out for Zepp.

HUH??? Its the 7th one I listed I bolded it for you. :)

:-B

Oops. Completely missed that. I like me some Skynard too...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:39 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:Metallica: Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for All, Metallica (The black album)
Pantera: Cowboys from Hell, Far Beyond Driven

After taking notice of your list, I can't help but notice you forgot Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning for Metallica. Add Vulgar Display Of Power for Pantera. This was arguably their most popular album even though I believe FBD was Pantera in its prime. The Great Southern Trendkill is also good, but sounds odd at first, although you'll get used to the harsh grooviness of it all. Reinventing the Steel isn't bad either, but Cowboys and FBD are more important than that album.

My plan wasn't to list all of the albums, but to give him the albums that I thought represented the bands the best. Master of Puppets and Justice are my personal favorite "old" Metallica albums, while the Black Album is probably their most user friendly album. As for the Pantera albums those are just my personal favorites. I figure if he likes either of those then he'll look into the other ones.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:56 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:Metallica: Master of Puppets, ...and Justice for All, Metallica (The black album)
Pantera: Cowboys from Hell, Far Beyond Driven

After taking notice of your list, I can't help but notice you forgot Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning for Metallica. Add Vulgar Display Of Power for Pantera. This was arguably their most popular album even though I believe FBD was Pantera in its prime. The Great Southern Trendkill is also good, but sounds odd at first, although you'll get used to the harsh grooviness of it all. Reinventing the Steel isn't bad either, but Cowboys and FBD are more important than that album.

My plan wasn't to list all of the albums, but to give him the albums that I thought represented the bands the best. Master of Puppets and Justice are my personal favorite "old" Metallica albums, while the Black Album is probably their most user friendly album. As for the Pantera albums those are just my personal favorites. I figure if he likes either of those then he'll look into the other ones.

Ah, I see where you're going.

For Metallica, I would start with The Black Album, which is somewhat of Metallica 101, but this was the start of them turning rockabilly and leaning dramatically away from thrash (some thrash scholars don't even recognize Metallica as a pure thrash band anyway). After that, Master of Puppets is probably the gateway into getting into thrash metal and it's their most recognizable metal album to any metal-loving fan. Then, take a listen to ...AJFA, which was post-Cliff Burton Metallica. After that, get into Ride The Lightning, which some folks prefer over Master Of Puppets as Metallica's best ever album, but I find myself skipping over the titled track and Escape anyway. Then, get into their earliest album: Kill 'Em All, which is my sentimental favorite. This was back when Metallica had that raw, thrashy sound and their lyrics were nothing else but a complement, but otherwise, nothing extremely special.

For Pantera, I'd start with Vulgar Display Of Power, which proceeded the thrashier Cowboys From Hell and a couple of years before the harder for hard music's sakes Far Beyond Driven was released. I think "Walk" and "Mouth For War" are the two of the most layman-accessible songs when it comes to listening to Pantera...and they come off of VDOP. Then, after that, you should step backwards into Cowboys From Hell and that should cement your sound for Pantera before heading into the more abrasive Far Beyond Driven.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Broncmet724 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:11 pm

Hmm just saw Exodus last night in concert, touring with Hatebreed :*) , Black Dahlia Murder :-D , Napalm Death :-) , First Blood !+) , and Destiny's Edge? or Edge of Destiny :-/ .

Try some Mastodon, Chimera, Suffocation, Coal Chamber etc. Or if you want a bit more mainstream you can always listen to Slipknot. ;-D
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Broncmet724 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 pm

Oh yeah, I would highly recommend Lamb of God. :-]
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 pm

Have you tried audioscrobbling?

My roommates were pretty into this; go to http://www.last.fm

You set up a profile and download a codec for whatever music player you use on your PC... WMP, iTunes, whatever... so what this thing does is keep track of the music you listen to and lists it as "charts" on your profile, which is sort of like a myspace but strictly music only... you can't really customize but people can see all the music you listen to.

Then it shows you users who have similar musical tasts and you can play customized radio stations and stuff with recommendations. Basically it's pretty awesome.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Hmm just saw Exodus last night in concert, touring with Hatebreed :*) , Black Dahlia Murder :-D , Napalm Death :-) , First Blood !+) , and Destiny's Edge? or Edge of Destiny :-/ .

Try some Mastodon, Chimera, Suffocation, Coal Chamber etc. Or if you want a bit more mainstream you can always listen to Slipknot. ;-D

Good stuff. I especially like Exodus and Napalm Death. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 pm

You could always listen to Nickelback. And if you are hard pressed for time, you could listen to two Nickelback songs at the same time. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Tavish wrote:You could always listen to Nickelback. And if you are hard pressed for time, you could listen to two Nickelback songs at the same time. :-D

That sounds so weird. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Tavish wrote:You could always listen to Nickelback. And if you are hard pressed for time, you could listen to two Nickelback songs at the same time. :-D

That sounds so weird. :-b

Ugh! I found the only thing worse than a Nickelback song... two at the same time. I guess this proves that all their songs pretty much sound the white trash same.

I hate Nickelback.

And I HATE that chad kroger song from the superman movie that sounds like it starts in the middle... as soon as I hear "I get so high" I run for the hills.

Chad Kroger was apparently recently voted ugliest rockstar ever, although Thom Yorke's creepy eye gives him a run for his money (and his impeccable resemblance to Clay Aiken).

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk