Why I wanna move to canada - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Why I wanna move to canada

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mugrila » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Yay for Bush. ;-7

(Actually I really can't stand the 2 party system with people who vote based on that alone. :-P )
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:35 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Hey, I see you found my article, lol.

Go ahead and move to Canada. Then we would hear all about how you hate your job AND how the government taxes you out the arse. All that would be fine and dandy as long as they let you wear your baseball cap, lol.

And how much nationalized healthcare sucks... which we all know is necessary in Canada because of the godless prostitutes and their chlamydia-infected clients who live there!

...on top of all the snowmobile accidents and grizzly bear attacks.

Thats awesome...people are looking at me funny now.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Wanna know how I know you're gay?

You want to move to Canada.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm

Tavish wrote:Wanna know how I know you're gay?

You want to move to Canada.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :-t
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:56 pm

In all honesty, acs, there are blind people on both sides....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:In all honesty, acs, there are blind people on both sides....

Which is why I don't care about politics. :-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby gfantasy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:49 pm

At this point its difficult to follow politics...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:In all honesty, acs, there are blind people on both sides....

i just thought that might be the furthest quote from rational that everyone has ever come up with.

Divinely elected president is basically what she's saying.

Thats thought from the middle ages
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Big Train » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:21 am

Well, if you move to Alberta ACS you won't have a problem finding a job. The labour market in Alberta is so tight that businesses there are closing down simply because they don't have enough people to work. Some people quit just to have a couple extra days off, knowing that they can walk into another business and get a job just by asking for one. As the story below notes, it's so bad that your boss may even pay to bail you out of jail, lol! That should interest you, no?

Of course this comes with one caveat in mind: you have to enjoy shovelling out from under 10 ft. of snow once in a while... :-D

Edmonton Sun - Edmonton restaurateur Mike Sarris isn't ready to stick a fork in his businesses, but he says Alberta's chronic labour shortage may leave him with no choice.

Sarris, who runs three restaurants - including the Steak Out on the south side - with wife Tamara, has already had to drastically cut back on hours of operation.

"We just don't have the staff. It's terrible," he told the Sun, adding that if the situation doesn't improve, his restaurants will be done like dinner.

"My wife and I have been thinking maybe we should just sell and go work for somebody."

Sarris, 40, said he is so desperate for staff that when one of his dishwashers was arrested two weeks ago on an outstanding warrant related to driving without insurance, he didn't hesitate to bail him out of jail.

"I bailed him out for $2,800 so I could have a dishwasher," Sarris said, adding he is garnisheeing the employee's wages to recoup the bail money.

At The Steak Out on Parsons Road, Sarris said he has 14 employees - about eight short of what he'd like to have.

He and his wife, who also own Bugsy's Foods in the west end and Spartan Greek Taverna in Sherwood Park, have been picking up the slack, working up to 14-hour days.

"We make a decent living, but we work our butts off and it's getting to the point where it's just out of hand," Sarris said. "There are weeks where I don't see my kids (two sons ages five and six)."

And there are countless other businesses feeling the labour pinch.

In St. Albert, one Pizza Hut outlet is forgoing the lunch rush and not opening until 4 p.m., while a Burger King location has shut down indefinitely, employees confirmed.

A Sherwood Park Taco Bell has been closed since late June and an employee said she wasn't sure when it would reopen. And a Wendy's restaurant in west Edmonton recently closed its drive-thru.

Wendy's spokesman Franca Miraglia said the fast-food chain held a labour summit two weeks ago to come up with strategies for staff retention and recruitment.

Included in the restaurant's incentive program is a chance for employees to work towards items like IPods and laptop computers, Miraglia added.

Lindy Rollingson, president and CEO of the Alberta Restaurant and Foodservices Association, calls the shortage of workers "critical."

"The final crunch was when students went back to school this week," she said, pointing out that 50% of the food-service industry's employees are 16-24 years old. "The restaurant industry has been very hard hit."

Rollingson sees no end in sight to the problem that's fuelled in large part by the oil boom and its seemingly endless need for labour.

"We're having trouble competing with the oilsands," she said. "By 2012, we're going to be short 149,000 workers in the province because of oilsands work going on."

Edmonton Sun - Alberta employers are expected to boost salaries by a nation-leading 3.9 per cent next year, new survey results suggest.

The report by Mercer Human Resource Consulting also suggests increases in pay will outpace inflation, which most analysts expect will be close to the Bank of Canada's two-per-cent target.

"A robust Western Canadian economy -- particularly in the energy sector -- plus concern for attracting and retaining the most productive employees, are driving employers to project a national average salary increase of 3.7 per cent for 2007," it said.

That's the steepest projected increase since 2001, according to the annual survey, and not since the early 1990s have projected salary increases been higher, Iain Morris, a principal at Mercer, noted in an interview.

Employers this year have already started topping up salary increases to the average of 3.7 per cent nationally, up from the 3.4 per cent they planned when surveyed a year earlier, he said.

More competition for employees due to anticipated labour shortages is the reason given by the one-third of organizations that are budgeting pay increases larger than last year's, the report said. For next year, energy industries, mainly located in Alberta, are projecting a 5.6-per-cent average salary increase, according to the survey of more than 400 organizations, covering more than two million workers.

But even without the Western energy industries, the planned increase in salaries nationally would still be close to 3.5 per cent, noted Morris, suggesting Alberta's booming job market is putting upward pressure on salaries across the country.

"The 'Alberta effect' will likely have a long-term impact on compensation nationally," he said.

Projected average salary increases vary across other industries, from 4.1 per cent in the utilities sector, down to 2.9 per cent in hospitality and tourism, the report noted. The vast majority of employers, however, are planning increases of between 3.1 per cent and four per cent across all employee categories, and no one is planning salary freezes for 2007.

Regionally, the increases range from a high of 3.9 per cent in Alberta to 3.4 per cent in Quebec and Atlantic Canada. But many employees will be getting more than just a fatter salary next year, Morris added.

"Employers also continue to look at ways other than increasing base salary to attract and retain people," he said, adding the most common are signing bonuses, spot cash awards and project milestone awards.

"Companies continue to expand their use of total reward approaches to compensation as performance becomes ever more important," he said.

For example, more than 30 per cent have increased pay differentiation based on performance, and over 12 per cent are considering it, he noted. As well, most employers now reward employees for reaching or exceeding annual performance targets.

But many employers are not just planning to boost salaries. As one-third said over the coming half-year, they intend to increase their workforce, while only 7.4 per cent plan to reduce staff.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:09 am

I so want to work at the Edmonton Taco Bell.

I hear they have salmon chalupas there. :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk