How was fantasy baseball created? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How was fantasy baseball created?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:21 pm

Jessica Alba?

My main argument is that there is no such thing as the perfect fantasy game. So, why are people letting the status quo bind them to an exercise that that has a questionalble logical base at best?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:24 pm

shortsavage wrote:Jessica Alba?

My main argument is that there is no such thing as the perfect fantasy game. So, why are people letting the status quo bind them to an exercise that that has a questionalble logical base at best?

well you say this logic is questionable and you cant name anything that is logical... you said somthing about gold gloves and cy youngs.. ok.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 pm

shortsavage wrote:I want to hear your video game comparison Madison because Monopoly doesn't really work for me.

The Monopoly comparison is perfect, as it's a very widely played game. Sure, people adapt the rules sometimes, and as you said, you know people who won't play it, but that goes for anything in life. 100% of the people will never be happy with anything. There will always be people who don't like something.

I've said it many times and you've chosen to ignore it each time so far, but here's the thing.

There are simulation leagues out there for people who want the game to mimic real life as closely as possible.

There is fantasy baseball out there for those people who want to play for fun, and with the twists and quirks of fantasy baseball.

Why should fantasy baseball vanish and have everything turn into simulation leagues, when that's not what some people want, and not the sole reason why people play fantasy baseball?

My video game example isn't as good as the Monopoly one, but why do people still hook up their old 8 bit Nintendo systems to play games when they own an X-Box 360 and/or PS2? Sure, the graphics and gameplay on the newer systems is more "realistic", but some people do things simply because they are "fun" with twists and quirks the new games don't have.

Anyone who seriously wants to play a game as in depth and realistic as possible will play sim leagues. Others choose fantasy baseball. There's plenty of room in the world for both. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:03 pm

shortsavage wrote:I want to hear your video game comparison Madison because Monopoly doesn't really work for me. It actually has many, many variations. Lots of people question the rules to Monopoly. In fact, I've encountered many people who won't play Monopoly because they haven't found a way to play the game that enough people enjoyed. In terms of uniformally accepted rules, Monopoly is very different than Roto 5x5.

I don't really see the point of playing 5x5 when so many games that are more realistic and not much more difficult to craft are readily available. This seems like playing mound ball instead of watching the game to me.

You've seemingly missed the boat here. You've basically had the half dozen or so replying parties in this thread say that they're not really searching for a more realistic, not much more difficult to craft game -- but moreso the fun and enjoyment and social interaction that 5x5 already currently gives them.

I play for those reasons, and mainly to keep me involved in knowing about players on teams outside of the division I generally watch (the NL East). I enjoy the mathematical side of it all as that's what my degree is in, but I don't think that delving knee deep into categorical reasoning and searching for the ultimate scoring system would provide me any pleasure what so ever. I imagine most of the general population feels the same way. You're the one who seems to have the issue with that, and have thusly been vocal about it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Tavish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:14 pm

shortsavage wrote:I want to hear your video game comparison Madison because Monopoly doesn't really work for me. It actually has many, many variations. Lots of people question the rules to Monopoly. In fact, I've encountered many people who won't play Monopoly because they haven't found a way to play the game that enough people enjoyed. In terms of uniformally accepted rules, Monopoly is very different than Roto 5x5.

I don't really see the point of playing 5x5 when so many games that are more realistic and not much more difficult to craft are readily available. This seems like playing mound ball instead of watching the game to me.

Lots of people question 5X5 roto, thats why a free provider as big as Yahoo lets people customize their leagues. Its why TSN makes money off their stock-style games, why there were banners for Gameday Ritual at the Cafe. And there are tons of people who simply refuse to play fantasy baseball because its not realistic enough for them and would rather run a simulation league or play Strat-O-Matic.

5X5 roto is simply the most familiar and most popular form of the game, just like the basic Monopoly rules are the most familiar and popular way to play that game.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers