How was fantasy baseball created? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How was fantasy baseball created?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How was fantasy baseball created?

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:40 pm

I thought that Daniel Okrent popularized fantasy baseball when he created something to allow him to put time into exploring baseball in the offseason. His game was an effort to put himself into similar positions as baseball executives, by my understanding.

Is my understanding/interpretation of the origins of fantasy baseball inaccurate?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Fantasy baseball goes back further than Okrent, but in short yes. He designed the Roto rules to recreate the experience of building a ML team.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Tavish wrote:Fantasy baseball goes back further than Okrent...

Yes, that's why I said he popularized the game.

So, how and why has fantasy baseball diverged as far as it has from major league baseball?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:05 pm

shortsavage wrote:So, how and why has fantasy baseball diverged as far as it has from major league baseball?

It hasn't. Why do you think it has moved further away?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:18 pm

The term "Rotisserie" also takes it's origins from the beginnings of Fantasy Baseball:

Wikipedia wrote:The landmark development in fantasy baseball came with the development of Rotisserie League Baseball in 1980. Magazine writer/editor Daniel Okrent is credited with inventing it, the name coming from the New York City restaurant La Rotisserie Francaise where he and some friends used to meet and play.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Tavish wrote:
shortsavage wrote:So, how and why has fantasy baseball diverged as far as it has from major league baseball?

I think as better tools to evaluate player talent are made available, they should be utilized.

Doesn't fantasy baseball resemble the thought process that goes into awards like the Cy Young, MVP, and Silver Slugger? Shouldn't it be more along the lines of how GMs evaluate talent? Aren't the winners the successful teams; not the teams who boast the most winners of the awards I listed above?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:45 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I think as better tools to evaluate player talent are made available, they should be utilized.

Doesn't fantasy baseball resemble the thought process that goes into awards like the Cy Young, MVP, and Silver Slugger? Shouldn't it be more along the lines of how GMs evaluate talent? Aren't the winners the successful teams; not the teams who boast the most winners of the awards I listed above?

Fantasy managers can use whatever type of data they want to help them assemble their teams, just like real GMs can. The job both do is judged by end result statistics, stats like runs scored, runs allowed, and wins.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:47 pm

I believe Cole Hamels invented fantasy baseball.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:23 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I believe Cole Hamels invented fantasy baseball.

lol :-b

In response to Tavish, I agree that fantasy managers can do whatever they see fit to win.

But - bear with me here - can the end goals of fantasy baseball really mirror those of major league baseball and still accurately depict the goals of major league baseball. In other words, do the categories most commonly used in fantasy baseball really do a good job of putting fantasy managers into similar positions as major league general managers?

I say no.

Very few of the scoring systems that I have played with take a progressive approach toward keeping par with the best - or even decent - indicators of how much a player contributes to his team winning.

I'm very interested in exploring why fantasy owners aren't more enthusiastic about making their job as a fantasy GM resemble that of a major league GM.

On what grounds do the most commonly used scoring systems in fantasy baseball today represent the decisions made by major league GMs?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:40 pm

shortsavage wrote:I'm very interested in exploring why fantasy owners aren't more enthusiastic about making their job as a fantasy GM resemble that of a major league GM.

Because if people wanted their fantasy game to resemble real life baseball, they would play simulation leagues, not fantasy baseball.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers