Fatty vs. Smoker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fatty vs. Smoker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Did anyone else think this was going to be a who would you rather sleep with (out of two undesireables) question? O:-)
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:14 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:Did anyone else think this was going to be a who would you rather sleep with (out of two undesireables) question? O:-)

My thread titles are always misinterpreted... I think I do it on purpose :-D

I think I made my point so, brewcrew, who would YOU rather sleep with???
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Personally, I don't care what people do to themselves. It's their bodies, it's their health, it's their individual responsibility. It's not that I don't care for their well-being, but I don't care to criticize the way they live. It's a free country.

I tend to think our society is so preoccupied about obesity. You'll see ad campaigns about weight loss or prevention of childhood obesity and some say you should eat a certain way. I tend to believe those health food junkies are a bunch of snobby elitists and not necessarily criticizing people who don't always eat healthy, but they sneer as if to say you're eating rubbish and you are rubbish. They may be putting Medicare into further debt and perhaps that's society's motive in putting these campaigns into full force, but I feel like they want to "trim the fat", as if to say that your eating habits are awful, so is your lifestyle, and so are you.

As for smokers, well, second hand smoke could negatively impact non-smokers like myself, although a few years back I was a habitual smoker too. Being surrounded by fat/overweight/obese people won't hurt you, but potentially being surrounded by smokers on a consistent basis could have some long-term ill effects. Does that mean I would condemn smokers for what they're doing? Not necessarily because all the elitists, yuppies, and teenyboppers who think they're somebodies will complain over a little thing like that (which might or might not compound on impacting their health) and openly condemn that person as if they're better than the latter. Personally, I don't mind because I suppose I'm either more apathetic about my health or extremely skeptical and pessimistic about society as a whole. In this case, I'm both.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:46 pm

actually both smokers and obese individuals increase the burden on society as a whole through the health care system, w/ both parties having a high liklihood of incurring greater than typical costs for health care as they age.

Modern medicine can keep them alive for much longer than they would have been at the 'Dawn of Man' as the fat dudes would get eaten by the tigers but now they get an XXL hospital bed...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:57 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote: Being surrounded by fat/overweight/obese people won't hurt you,

What if they are hungry? :-o

What if you're on an elevator and they put it over the weight limit?

What if you're at the movies watching something scary that makes people jump?

What if you're standing between them and McDonalds when it opens?

What if one of them falls down and rolls in front of your car?

Man I could go on and on and on.

But they are all really bad jokes. :-b

Anyhow, if someone's going to go out of their way to try to talk down or belittle someone, they should be fully prepared to have it thrown right back at them. Like the fat guy trying to insult the smoker. Does anyone think smoking is healthy? Is this news? He should be fully prepared for the lady to tell him to quit eating and actually work out! If he can't handle that, then he needs to shut his trap and mind his own business. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Unfortunately our soceity tells us that we must all be the perfect being. And it backs this up by showing TV shows where major issues are resolved in 30 - 60 minutes minus 4 or 5 commercial breaks. And the fact that everyone on TV is a perfect model no matter if they play a crackwhore or a college babe is a problem as well. As we idolize fake images we start to pressure ourselves into becoming them at an alarming rate. No one here is going to go from being an outcast to a hero in a matter of hours yet that is how life is portrayed. And as they say life imitates art which in the case of television is scary.

This is definitly not healthy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:23 pm

The overabundance of goods produced by the agricultural industry has made food cheaper than it has ever been historically. In Medieval and Early Modern Europe, fat people were widely looked upon as 'hot' (maybe 'desireable' would be a better word?) because being fat was a sign of income as only the well to do could afford to eat enough to be fat. Everyone else had to bust their butts just to scrape by so the vast majority of people were skinny. Of course, their life expectancy was 35-40 or so but society as a whole would have been considerably skinnier than we are now.

Now though, we are making choices to make ourselves what we have become. While the Colonel's buffet may be a pleasant reminder of how good things are, the hidden costs therein don't seem likely to be under control.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: Being surrounded by fat/overweight/obese people won't hurt you,

Remember when Mark Henry had that Sexual Chocolate gimmick? :-o

I'm surprised you didn't add that to your list of scenarios. :-b

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:39 pm

Madison wrote:

Anyhow, if someone's going to go out of their way to try to talk down or belittle someone, they should be fully prepared to have it thrown right back at them. Like the fat guy trying to insult the smoker. Does anyone think smoking is healthy? Is this news? He should be fully prepared for the lady to tell him to quit eating and actually work out! If he can't handle that, then he needs to shut his trap and mind his own business. :-b

That's my favorite madmin GT post ever ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:

That's my favorite madmin GT post ever ;-D

At the expense of what I said? In the immortal words of Carlito Caribbean Cool: "That's not cool."

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk