Fatty vs. Smoker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fatty vs. Smoker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fatty vs. Smoker

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 am

Today I witnessed something interesting; I was walking around in the shopping center where my office is located. An obese man walked up to a healthy-looking woman who was smoking a cigarette and told her it was bad for her health. She gave the typical "yeah" smokers response, but I found this to be exceedingly ironic. Did she not have the right to tell him that cheeseburgers are bad for his health?

I just find it interesting that our society says it's OK to openly condemn smokers but not fat people. They're both engaging in potentially unhealthy activities, obviously, but society says, yes, it's OK to condemn smokers but, no, it's not OK to condemn fat people. What's up with that?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:16 am

I'd have walked up and busted out laughing at them both. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:23 am

Madison wrote:I'd have walked up and busted out laughing at them both. :-b

I definitely let out a chortle as I walked but, just because of the absurdity of the situation. The fat guy was serious; he felt that she shouldn't be smoking and wanted her to know it. It's too bad that she didn't just tell him "lose some weight" as a comeback.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:25 am

A couple of things:

1) Fat people are openly condemned all the time.

2) Someone being fat doesn't affect my health, someone smoking around me can.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:34 am

Art Vandelay wrote:A couple of things:

1) Fat people are openly condemned all the time.

2) Someone being fat doesn't affect my health, someone smoking around me can.

1) I have never, ever seen someone walk up to a fat person and tell them to stop eating. I have seen people do this to smokers all the time.

2) This man walked out of his way and UP TO the smoker, who was in a relatively secluded area outside. In a restaurant or bar or any closed space I can understand the second hand health concerns; but not in this situation.

The point I'm trying to make is not that we should start telling fat people to stop eating; the point I'm trying to make is that we should probably all mind our own business. If someone is smoking outside and nowhere near you, I don't think you have the right to go make snide remarks about your so-called concern for their health... especially when you're clearly unhealthy yourself.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:02 am

I definitely hear your point Copper. While obese people are ridiculed, usually quietly, they are not as openly criticized as smokers. Largely because they/we are led to believe it is not their fault, when smoking is. Fact is, it is their fault. Yes, a person may be bigger than others, but that does not mean one cannot be fit instead of fat. It's basically become acceptable because fast food is so readily available and our lives are so hectic and fast and we don't have time to exercise and are full of anxiety all the time.

Anyway, I personally don't call out either unless it's effecting me or someone else.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 am

I don't consider myself a smoker but I have in the past and latley I've been smoking 1 or 2 butts a week or less depending.

I don't smoke around people though and its illegal to smoke in Denver bars.

Should I smoke? No?

But I don't eat McDonalds. We all have our vices keeping them under control is the key.

Anyways its rude to say stuff like that to people IMO. Calling someone a fatty or telling them smoking is bad for "Them" is stupid.

Now if he was like. "Smoking is bad for everyone currently around us can you please move somewhere else." I think that would have been cool.

But yes it is a funny society where we bash the cigarette companies but praise McDonalds and Burger King when they come out with a sandwich that guarentees you will have a massive coronary after you finish it. And then you will poo out 99% of it because it has no nutritional value.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:28 am

Coppermine wrote:1) I have never, ever seen someone walk up to a fat person and tell them to stop eating. I have seen people do this to smokers all the time.

I have seen this a few times, more often I've seen people say something to a parent (usually obese) of a fat child about the health of their child.

Coppermine wrote:2) This man walked out of his way and UP TO the smoker, who was in a relatively secluded area outside. In a restaurant or bar or any closed space I can understand the second hand health concerns; but not in this situation.

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to this particular case, in which this guy sounds like a moron. In general though, smoking has the potential to negatively impact the health of others, being fat, not so much.

Coppermine wrote:The point I'm trying to make is not that we should start telling fat people to stop eating; the point I'm trying to make is that we should probably all mind our own business. If someone is smoking outside and nowhere near you, I don't think you have the right to go make snide remarks about your so-called concern for their health... especially when you're clearly unhealthy yourself.

I agree completely.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:30 am

I enjoy minding my own buisness.... In fact I think there should be less people in the world so I'll worry about myself and my friends and family.

Strangers aren't really that big of a concern to me I mean I care for them as people with families and humans but not to the point to lecture them for their choice in drugs, eating, or god
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:35 am

acsguitar wrote:I enjoy minding my own buisness.... In fact I think there should be less people in the world so I'll worry about myself and my friends and family.

Strangers aren't really that big of a concern to me I mean I care for them as people with families and humans but not to the point to lecture them for their choice in drugs, eating, or god

Profound words acs! You're making me consider buddhism; but in any case, I agree completely.

Even telling parents that their kids are obese, I mean, come on...

And here's another one; when I was in high school I had a friend who was about 17 with a sister who was about 4... that's quite an age difference, I know, but she told me once she was out shopping with her little sister and an old woman came up to her to express her disapproval of teenage pregnancy. My friend didn't really understand until she realized that this old woman had assumed that her sister was her daughter. Apparently she lectured the old lady right back to the incontinence aisle.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk