HORA (HELP ME)! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HORA (HELP ME)!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 am

Here's a sneak peek at my top 30 prospects - still rough - updated as of right now. You can debate prospects with me in the Cafe's Minor League and College Forum.

1. Alex Gordon, 3B, KC
2. Delmon Young, OF, TB
3. Billy Butler, OF, KC
4. Phil Hughes, SP, NYY
5. Brandon Wood, SS/3B, LAA
6. Justin Upton, OF, ARI
7. Homer Bailey, SP, CIN
8. Fernando Martinez, OF, NYM
9. Andy LaRoche, 3B, LAD
10. Cameron Maybin, OF, DET
11. Scott Elbert, SP, LAD
12. Joey Votto, 1B, CIN
13. Chris Young, OF, ARI
14. Jose Tabata, OF, NYY
15. Jay Bruce, OF, CIN
16. Adam Miller, SP, CLE
17. Evan Longoria, 3B, TB
18. Yovani Gallardo, SP, MIL
19. Carlos Gonzalez, OF, ARI
20. Jason Hirsh, SP, HOU
21. Dustin Pedroia, 2B, BOS
22. Andrew McCutchen, OF, PIT
23. Andrew Miller, SP, DET
24. Daric Barton, 1B, OAK
25. Ryan Braun, 3B, MIL
26. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, COL
27. James Loney, 1B, LAD
28. Travis Snider, OF, TOR
29. Jacoby Ellsbury, OF, BOS
30. Tim Lincecum, SP, SF
Last edited by shortsavage on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:54 am

bob brenly and len kasper are in the negatives as fas as homerism goes for cubs games. if you're not a person that likes homerism from the announcers than you'll like them....that would of course be the only reason you'd like them though. :-D

i don't mind hawk harrelson and darrin jackson as far as homerism goes. i'd say i'm in the minority with that opinion though.

another thing about cubs announcers; ron santo on the radio is probably the biggest homer there is
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I listened to Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren for years and I can tell you they deserve a much higher score than 0. Let's say a +2. I hate listening to them because they're so obnoxious about the Braves.

Yo must be joking right? Those two guys are always praiseing the other teams and talking about how bad we are struggling in this or that. They are honest about "close calls" on the feild and often go against the Braves even if the ump gave them the call.

I say a even 0 is about right.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 am

shortsavage wrote:P.S. Seriously though, with my three years of service time here at the Cafe, I'm like the grandpa in Ricky Bobby - really just 22 - yet these young bucks are coming at me like spider monkeys.

When they're reading my bylines in some major baseball publication, they're going to be like, "...and I ragged on that guy once for asking me to think."

Pick your battles wisely young bucks; I have credentials.

and

shortsavage wrote:Haven't you missed me? I'm on the mlb.com radio shows, in the College and Minors Cafe Forum, working on freelancing articles, and constructing a 2007 top 100 prospects list these days.

I'll try to come by and say hi every once and a while. Maybe if I got more of what I was after and treated like a cafe regular/writer (I need credibility icons), I'd be around more often.

AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH...................

give it a rest Savage :-t

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:58 am

I used to annoy people in this forum back in the day, too. Those comments were jokes. I'm very playful. Don't take my comments too seriously. I've been trying to avoid using emoticons, but I suppose I need them in order to show that I'm joking.

I'm going to work on coding all the comments. Keep them coming and we should have enough data for a Cafe article on Homerism Over Replacement Announcers. Where else could you find something like that?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:37 pm

When was it a crime for the announcers to root for the home team? :-?

Homerism is a bit pointless. Announcers are paid to get people to watch the games. If the ChiSox's announcers draw in viewers with the "you can put it on the boaaaaard.....yes!" comments, then more power to them. That's their job. Not to mention that quite a few announcers really are fans of the team they are announcing for.

The real question should be "how honest are the announcers?". Are there announcers who lie, stretch the truth, or avoid the sticky spots? Like a close play at first? Will they admit when their guy is out, or do they just say something like "it was a bang bang play and the ump had to make a split second call"? I've seen announcers avoid admitting when a play deserved to go against their team, and on the flipside I've seen quite a few be honest and say something like "we got away with one there". Honesty is what it's really all about, not homerism.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:54 pm

From my experience, a homer is a label put on announcers who are so caught up in cheering on for their home team that they don't call a game fairly. So, pretty similar to your definition Madison, but yours doesn't serve the purpose that I was chasing.

My original question was meant for fans who like to watch games on MLB Extra Innings and mlb.tv. I feel that the national baseball scene should have announcers who appeal to a large audience. And with the packages listed above, the local scene is starting to become the national scene - in my eyes.

I think it would be cool to have a list of how much homerism one broadcast tandem has over the typical tandem. That's what I'm after.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to share his or her take on the announcers he or she listens to ;-D .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Melo255 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Red Sox announcers I would put at 0. I've never been able to stand homerism, even from my own team, and I have been very impressed through the years at the Remdogs calls during the game. Even against the Yankees he has no problem pointing out the Red Sox mistakes or problems while pointing out the Yankees skills and abilities. Of course they don't want to see another team do well against the Sox but they certainly don't take it to an annoying level. Besides has there every been a more likeable guy than Remy? Even during losing streaks you can hear him laughing and having a great time. He loves his job. Now as for the radio well that's a bit different and I'd put Castiglione at a +2.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:Maybe if I got more of what I was after and treated like a cafe regular/writer (I need credibility icons), I'd be around more often.

Credibility icon? You're precious. Are you up for bids too?

PS
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CadensDad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
shortsavage wrote:Maybe if I got more of what I was after and treated like a cafe regular/writer (I need credibility icons), I'd be around more often.

Credibility icon? You're precious. Are you up for bids too?

PS

Very nice post

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers