Fantasy Baseball Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:59 pm

ive heard of guys who start 5-6 closers/relievers and no starters and often win SV, ERA, WHIP categories without a single start in H2H. if lucky, they might even get W and K cats too. things like this keep me away from H2H for now. H2H format needs to get more refined so that it doesnt have so many loopholes. till then, play roto. ;-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:02 pm

You want to see this strategy done to the extreme? Check out the team topping the leaderboard for Yahoo's Baseball Plus H2H leagues http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... =head&ms=0 . Be thankful your guy is only doing this half-heartedly. The "pros" get over 500 moves. And they usually load their roster with closers, making them locks for 3 out of 5 cats without any skill or effort. And if their opponent has a bad week, that becomes a 5/5 sweep. And since these teams don't waste good draft picks for SPs, their offenses are usually formidable. A winning strategy -- sure. Fun? Doesn't look like it to me. And reading the comments posted in this particular league, I wouldn't be surprised if they all make of point of never allowing this kind of thing to happen again.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 pm

schmidty wrote:You want to see this strategy done to the extreme? Check out the team topping the leaderboard for Yahoo's Baseball Plus H2H leagues http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... =head&ms=0 . Be thankful your guy is only doing this half-heartedly. The "pros" get over 500 moves. And they usually load their roster with closers, making them locks for 3 out of 5 cats without any skill or effort. And if their opponent has a bad week, that becomes a 5/5 sweep. And since these teams don't waste good draft picks for SPs, their offenses are usually formidable. A winning strategy -- sure. Fun? Doesn't look like it to me. And reading the comments posted in this particular league, I wouldn't be surprised if they all make of point of never allowing this kind of thing to happen again.

WOW and I thought the guy in my league was bad.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:58 pm

I have yet to see a manager take drafting hitters to the extreme like that, but by the same token, you see it done to some extent.

In a very deep redraft league I'm in, one of the managers decided to load up heavily on hitting to the point he had only drafted three closers, one RP for holds, and two aces: Lackey and Kazmir. He couldn't stream because for one thing, the league is deep enough to make the FA pitching pool appear absolutely horrid and another thing to consider is that there's a move limit. His team wound up floundering after a promising start and wound up in the bottom 3. All the while, he kept on picking up hot bats and mid-season call-up hitters.

I think the rationale in doing something like this is to diversify your hitter lot. He's bound to have a few rotten apples or a few underachieving batters on his squad and obviously if he has a few breakouts or a few diamonds in the rough, he has built a cachet to build upon pitching. Again, it's a common theme/philosophy in drafting your team, but taken up a notch in this particular case. The inherent risk in enacting this strategy is if your squad of offensive players becomes overvalued relative to their draft positions after looking upon their performances at some juncture of the year. Of course, playing the wire can be a risky business with respect to your ERA/WHIP and you're forced to play in the impact categories (W, SV, K). That's why loading up on 4 to 5 closers, along with a couple of established starters, and a couple spots used for streaming could counterbalance this.

Even if this strategy is considered to take advantage of loopholes in H2H, it's part of the game and part of the fun in playing in one. If you don't like this standard type of league, then I suggest joining a league that takes into account K rates and add/drop transaction limits.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 pm

The Big Stick wrote:WOW and I thought the guy in my league was bad.

Even worse -- this player is still streaming 4 SPs a day even during his bye week. And making a point of having all these starters benched (even though its a bye week) on his roster. What possible justification can there be for this, besides just being an a-hole? Isn't that a pretty clear-cut violation of Yahoo's rule about not making moves with the sole purpose of interfering with other teams in the league? Needless to say, all the adds are all done at an ungodly hour of the morning (3-4 am EST), scooping up the best spot starters.

I feel pretty lucky that my 2 leagues didn't have any of this, even though there weren't precautions to prevent it. Except for a spot start or two for strategic manuevering over the weekend, or when the opponent had a lucky advantage in 2-start pitchers.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 pm

i dont like the k/9 in fantasy bb. it penalizes effective groundball pitchers like wang.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers