Fantasy Baseball Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball Strategy Question

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:48 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this or if anyone has statical information to validate this. I am in a H2H 5X5 league. On draft day, one of the guys pretty much drafted all hitters and 3 pitchers.All 3 were starters. To make a long story short, everyone in the league made fun of this guy and said he would finish last. To my surprise, he not only finish 1st, he pretty much dominated us all. He lost a total of 5 weeks the entire season. Pretty much what he did, he was active on the WW adding and mostly pitchers every time one of his top 3 were not pitching. He may actually win the entire league using this strategy. I have never seen or heard of this strategy working out any of you guys tried it or know anyone that has.

His 3 pitchers are:

R. Oswalt, D. Haren and B. Arroyo he added latter C. Hamels
He does not have 1 closer what he does have ar RP:
J. Zumaya and S. Shields
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:50 pm

personally i find that to be pretty lame. Obviously i've heard of it before and i would personally find a way to stop it like a moves limit...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:53 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:personally i find that to be pretty lame. Obviously i've heard of it before and i would personally find a way to stop it like a moves limit...

He has over 150 moves. I asked the commish about setting a limit but, he did not want to change the rules mid season which I understand.
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:58 pm

It's a pretty common occurance. There can be rules set to limit it (like max amount of moves) or you can let someone live and die by it. I know some people here will tell you it's cheating or they think it shouldn't be allowed, but to me it's just another strategy. This guy obviously made a lot of right decisions, but someone in my league tried this for about 2 weeks and out of maybe 7 spot starters, 6 of them blew up in his face.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:58 pm

The Big Stick wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:personally i find that to be pretty lame. Obviously i've heard of it before and i would personally find a way to stop it like a moves limit...

He has over 150 moves. I asked the commish about setting a limit but, he did not want to change the rules mid season which I understand.

its actually pretty lucky on his pickups.. i do a similar thing, and sometimes you get screwd big time.. but i play roto leagues, and theyre much tougher then h2h.. becus 1 bad start really messes you up, so think about doing a roto league and you wont get as much of this crap.. but you have to give him props, because that means he checks his team every day and looks for spot starters.. im betting not everyone stays that active ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:00 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:

its actually pretty lucky on his pickups.. i do a similar thing, and sometimes you get screwd big time.. but i play roto leagues, and theyre much tougher then h2h.. becus 1 bad start really messes you up, so think about doing a roto league and you wont get as much of this crap.. but you have to give him props, because that means he checks his team every day and looks for spot starters.. im betting not everyone stays that active ;-D

Seems to me it's tougher to pull off in H2H since over a season 1 bad start means nothing in Roto, but one bad start could cost you a whole week in H2H.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 pm

I don't think it's cheating because the rules were not set. Having said that I am not a beliver in spot-strating. I think his pretty smart for doing it as he did.

It looks like this week, he going with his main pitchers, he has not added any pitchers yet ;-)

many of the guys in the league think he will add David Wells, I'm thinking about picking him up to stop him from doing so.
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:08 pm

If you join a league without transactin limits, added categories to prevent such things, or a shallow leagiue, you will see this often. While not against the rules, it ultimately is not fun (in my opinion) and doesn't require much skill (as others can just copy it and then it becomes a race to add players at 12:00). Anyway, if you don't want to play in leagues like this in the future, you need to check for settings that will not encourage (or discourage) this type of play.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Pretty normal in H2H leagues, not only the streaming pitchers thing but pitchers in general in H2H leagues are overrated.

Pitchers in ROTO much more important than pitchers in H2H, even with max move limits, etc.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby DirtyKash » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:26 pm

The top ranked team in my 18-team league has 562 moves going into the playoffs and we only play SP-SP-RP-P-P.

Dude has spot started all year.
DirtyKash
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers