Papelbon - MRI reveals shoulder fatigue - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Papelbon - MRI reveals shoulder fatigue

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Papelbon - MRI reveals shoulder fatigue

Postby bcb » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:09 pm

From MLB.com
Papelbon has fatigued shoulder
09/05/2006 11:25 PM ET
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- The worst fears of the Red Sox and their passionate fans were put to rest on Tuesday night, when it was announced that there is nothing structurally wrong with the prized right shoulder of star rookie closer Jonathan Papelbon.

An arthrogram MRI, performed earlier in the day, revealed, according to a statement by Red Sox medical director Dr. Thomas Gill, "a transient subluxation event in the setting of a fatigued shoulder."

Translation? Papelbon needs some rest, and then he needs to rebuild the strength in his shoulder.

As he listened to the medical staff dissect his condition, he heard a lot of terms he didn't understand. But most importantly, he didn't hear the dreaded "t" word, as in tear.

"They started reeling off all these doctor terms," said Papelbon. "Subluxation pushing out and this and that, and I tried to pay attention, but obviously you know I didn't go to school to be a doctor. I was listening for 'tear', and I heard no 'tear.' Basically that's all I was worried about, no tear in my rotator and no tear in my labrum."

Will Papelbon pitch again in 2006?

"I'm pretty positive that I will, I'd like to think that I would, yeah," said Papelbon. "But if I can't, I'm not going to push it by any means."

The big thing, as far as the Red Sox are concerned, is that a huge piece of their future doesn't appear to have any sort of long-term injury.

"The news was a huge relief and besides the point of being relieved, I was thrilled," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "That was really good news. As far as when he pitches [again], I really couldn't tell you. The first thing to do is to get him strong and get him healthy, and that comes first and foremost. The pitching part will take care of itself."

The rookie closer has been an indispensable member of Boston's bullpen this season, posting a 4-2 record, a 0.92 ERA and 35 saves.

Papelbon had to exit in the ninth inning of last Friday's game against the Blue Jays, after feeling a burning sensation in his shoulder. He hasn't pitched since.

Gill explained what occurred on Friday, and led to Tuesday's diagnosis.

"A subluxation just means a slight slippage forward but it doesn't go out of joint," said Gill. "Classically, it's described as a dead arm period. If you remember, when Pap came off the mound, he dropped his arm and just kind of shook it, and that's kind of a classic symptom of somebody who has had a 'dead arm' from a slight slippage."

The doctor also was confident that Papelbon's condition isn't a sign of future arm problems for the 25-year-old fireballer.

"With appropriate strength and conditioning, it doesn't happen again," Gill said.

Papelbon vowed to do whatever it takes to keep his arm strong and avoid future breakdowns.

"Now, I've got to realize how important my shoulder program and rehab program are day in and day out, and therapy is, and getting with the trainers and staying on my shoulder and making sure that it stays strong throughout the course of the season," said Papelbon.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sounds similar to Gonzalez. If the Red Sox are out of it, I can't see them rushing him back to pitch a few innings.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby devastor » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Damn it. Time to look for anoher closer...hummm
devastor
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates