Please help my league figure this out! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please help my league figure this out!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help my league figure this out!

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:29 am

Im in a 6x6 13 (14 next year) team 5 player keeper league. We play a head to head system.

This year we moved to CBS Sportsline and as a result had to switch from two games per week (Mon-Thurs and Fri-Sun) to one game per week (play 2 teams but not the same).

Our categories are as follows:

Hitting: Avg., Runs, RBIs, TB+BB+HBP, SB, HR.
Pitching: IP, Ks, Wins, ERA, WHiP, S.

The issue that has plagued us this year is that 2 start pitchers have dominated and now it appears that it is going to decide many of the playoff games. It is also has made relievers almost worthless for the same reason.

We start 5 starting pitchers and 2 relievers or 4 starting pitchers and 3 relievers. In year's past this gave you a choice but now b/c of the way the pitching stats are set up you have no choice but to start 5 pitchers and often your decision is made by who has 2 starts and not who your best pitcher is.

Our league members are up in arms (as am I) and we have decided to change this. We strive to make the fantasy game as real as possible and it is just stupid to have to start Jeff Francis over Justin Verlander simply because Francis will get more innings and potentially more k's and has a chance to get more wins (even though it probably wont happen this week) because the guy you are facing has 4 pitchers with two starts and you will automatically give up innings pitched and k's and likely wins if you dont try to even it out.

Now we all thought that by going with a 2 start approach you would even out your results b/c you would be more likely to lose era and whip but b/c there are potentially 3 categories you can win it is in a team's best interest to always pick a lesser pitcher with 2 starts than a good pitcher with only one.

We are trying to come up with a way to still keep 6 pitching categories but to make it so that you will want to start your best pitchers no matter how many starts they have.

Some thoughts have been to simply kill innings pitched as a category, change k's to k/9, take out strike outs altogether, add something else entirely like holds and still keep k's as they are, change wins to wins-losses etc.

Im wondering if you guys have any other thoughts. Holds just seems like such a cheap stat to many of us so we would prefer not to do that. If we do k/9 and cut out innings pitched that just makes you want to start 3 relievers every week b/c you will have a better chance at getting cheap quality guys there than good starting pitchers.

So basically what I am hoping to get some input on is what some of you are doing in your leagues or thoughts you might have to help us.

Thanks in advance!
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:48 am

Switch to a points system for head to head where you have negative points for hits, walks, earned runs, etc. Roto H2H is a really strange and annoying combo in many ways.

I'm sure you won't make that drastic of a change, though, so drop IP and replace it with K/9. Increases the value of stud SPs and relievers.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:58 am

At first glance, eliminating IP as a category and replacing it with something like K/9 or Holds should weaken the strength of 2 start pitchers while increasing the value of relief pitchers at the same time.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby chris8 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:04 pm

I agree that replacing IP with K/9 will be a big help.

To avoid the potential problem you mention about teams starting 3 relievers and no starters, simply include a Minimum Innings for the week - if a team doesn't reach it, they lose every pitching category. (This assumes CBS allow this feature - never used them, so I don't know). ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Another option, upon re-reading your concerns about starting 3 RP, would be to change Wins to Quality Starts (if it's supported), so that people must have a starter in there or they're punting a cat.

So a potential configuration for your pitching cats would be:
QS, K/9, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD

Now you've got starter strength in the QS, and the weight they pull in ERA/WHIP, and you've got relief strength in SV, K/9, and even deepen the player pool of the league by adding Holds. If you do a Search of Leftovers, there was a pretty good debate on the Hold (people who felt it was 'cheap' vs those who argue it is near identical to the save) early this season. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby ukrneal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:57 pm

I like the quality starts idea, although some might resists.

I was thinking that you create more pitcher positions to play (if CBS allows this) and REQUIRE that all pitchers be used. In this way, you wouldn't be able to pitch one guy and not another. Anyway, I doubt this works alone, but may work with some of the above ideas.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:47 pm

why not just change ks to k/9 and keep IP. This way if someone wanted to go with two starters it helps them in wins/IP. Wheras someone who started there best starters would have an edge in K/9/ERA/WHIP. Also relievers would help k/9,era,whip, and SVs. This way i think it would be necessary to have a good collection of pitchers, (two starters, quality starters, and relievers) to field a quality team...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby noseeum » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:why not just change ks to k/9 and keep IP. This way if someone wanted to go with two starters it helps them in wins/IP. Wheras someone who started there best starters would have an edge in K/9/ERA/WHIP. Also relievers would help k/9,era,whip, and SVs. This way i think it would be necessary to have a good collection of pitchers, (two starters, quality starters, and relievers) to field a quality team...

I think K/9 favors the relievers too much if you don't have a minimum number of innings pitched. Leaving Ks in with K/9 puts stud SPs up at the cream of the crop, which is what you usually want to go for.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers