I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 am

Coppermine wrote:How about Islam? I doubt that would fly with Rummy.

That would be good but they'd probably send him to guantanamo.

How was your football party did you fake a seizure?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:14 am

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but is he an only son, or the oldest son? I honestly am not sure if it still applies, as my father retired from the air force over 25 years ago (and still can be recalled to this day by the way), but he always told me when I was growing up that I could always use the "oldest living son" as an excuse if I happened to get drafted, at which point they would take my kid brother if he was of age to serve. Also, according to him, an only child cannot be forced to serve. Has something to do with continuing the bloodline of the family. While my father would have hated to see me shirk the responsibility (that's how he would have viewed it) had I ever been drafted, continuing the family blood line was a big deal to him, which is the only reason I even know about those "options".

Not sure if these measures are still in place, or if they would even apply, but it's still "forced service", so it might be something to look into.

Could be a waste of time as those measures might not exist anymore, but thought I'd toss that out there as a possibility.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Madison wrote:Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but is he an only son, or the oldest son? I honestly am not sure if it still applies, as my father retired from the air force over 25 years ago (and still can be recalled to this day by the way), but he always told me when I was growing up that I could always use the "oldest living son" as an excuse if I happened to get drafted, at which point they would take my kid brother if he was of age to serve. Also, according to him, an only child cannot be forced to serve. Has something to do with continuing the bloodline of the family. While my father would have hated to see me shirk the responsibility (that's how he would have viewed it) had I ever been drafted, continuing the family blood line was a big deal to him, which is the only reason I even know about those "options".

Not sure if these measures are still in place, or if they would even apply, but it's still "forced service", so it might be something to look into.

Could be a waste of time as those measures might not exist anymore, but thought I'd toss that out there as a possibility.

Word to that! I don't have any brothers and neither does my dad... the coppermine's real name must live on! (especially since it's shared with a Nobel prize-winning author).
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:44 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but is he an only son, or the oldest son? I honestly am not sure if it still applies, as my father retired from the air force over 25 years ago (and still can be recalled to this day by the way), but he always told me when I was growing up that I could always use the "oldest living son" as an excuse if I happened to get drafted, at which point they would take my kid brother if he was of age to serve. Also, according to him, an only child cannot be forced to serve. Has something to do with continuing the bloodline of the family. While my father would have hated to see me shirk the responsibility (that's how he would have viewed it) had I ever been drafted, continuing the family blood line was a big deal to him, which is the only reason I even know about those "options".

Word to that! I don't have any brothers and neither does my dad... the coppermine's real name must live on! (especially since it's shared with a Nobel prize-winning author).

I was thinking meet the parents oh well
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:56 pm

acsguitar wrote:

The football party didn't suck nearly as much as I thought it would. Mostly because these strangers laughed at my bad jokes. Maybe they were just being nice... I dunno.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:41 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

The football party didn't suck nearly as much as I thought it would. Mostly because these strangers laughed at my bad jokes. Maybe they were just being nice... I dunno.

I have a great joke but I've been told I can't tell it on the cafe :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Then, you don't have a great joke at all. ;-7

PM it this way. :-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Then, you don't have a great joke at all. ;-7

PM it this way. :-D

Yeah, let's have it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:44 pm

OK - one last update, then I'm done.

First, thank you all for the suggestions. He has started going to a Buddhist monestary as a backup plan to the backup plan, but that's it. Here's what we're going to do, in order from first to last:

1. I actually know a congressman and a senator, both of whom will not be named. I am hoping one can come through for him.

2. His father has a mild case of Parkinson's. My friend is getting himself named "primary caregiver" even though he lives an hour and a half away.

3. He is also going to the doctor to document his back/foot problems. There is an issue here, though. Since he got the letter he is considered "active." Therefore, he cannot go to the VA because he's not a Vet anymore - he's a soldier. Of course, it takes a month or so to get insurance going, so he is unable to pay for a doctor. He won't take my money for some stupid reason.

4. He's going to the Buddhist Monestary.

Hopefully one of the ideas will help keep him out of the army.

On a related note, the talk amongst the soldiers is that the US is calling up everyone as a big push to transfer authority to Iraq and to limit the US presence to Bahgdad. They seem to think that things - which have been relatively calm lately - are about to get a lot worse. This is, of course, just soldier gossip. Who knows if it's accurate?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:06 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:They seem to think that things - which have been relatively calm lately - are about to get a lot worse. This is, of course, just soldier gossip. Who knows if it's accurate?

Humina, humina, humina, yadayee, yadayee, yadayee..... WHA???

From what I understand, July was the deadliest month in Iraq so far for civilians. How many? Try an average of 110 per DAY and a total of about 3,500 deaths in one month. 3,600 Iraqis were injured in July alone and a total of about 6,000 died in May and June combined. Ok, so, basic math... May + June + July = 9,500 dead Iraqi CIVILIANS. Sounds an awful lot worse than 9/11 and considerably worse than anything under the "tyrannical Saddam regime."

Shiite-Sunni fighting is escalating exponentially and the evidence suggests that the violence is escalating toward full blown civil war.

By the way, the "Baghdad Security Plan" which was the first step for the Iraqi government to begin taking over security enforcement in Iraq, went into effect in June. It failed miserably.

Meanwhile...

ABC News wrote:BAGHDAD, Iraq Sep 7, 2006 (AP)— Baghdad recorded more than 1,500 violent deaths in August, according to final figures released by the Health Ministry this week nearly three times the preliminary figure the same ministry had released last week. The figure is a sharp contradiction of U.S. and Iraqi claims that a security crackdown led to a steep drop in deaths in the capital.

The so-called US Security "crackdown" began at the beginning of August.... and the death toll pushed ever higher. 250 Iraqi civilians were killed in the final week of August in Baghdad alone.

While death tolls are largely unreliable for the past month, estamates but Iraqi civilian deaths in the month of August around 1,600.

More math... May + June + July + August = 11,100 Iraqi civilians DEAD.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk