I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:57 pm

So your friend doesn't support the troops?

j/k

Seriously tell him to seek mental help from a psychiatrist and get him on a prescription that should be good enough to keep him out of the army
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:25 pm

acsguitar wrote:So your friend doesn't support the troops?

j/k

Seriously tell him to seek mental help from a psychiatrist and get him on a prescription that should be good enough to keep him out of the army

Yeah dude, "stay the course." Don't "cut and run." I mean, isn't this "islamo-fascism" enough to convince him? Where would the Iraqi people be today without the "shock and awe" of our military might? Isn't that an important part of our "strategery" in Iraq? We need to bring Iraq back to its "traditional values" and provide "stability" within the region before Iraq becomes a "terrorist breeding ground." Osama who?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:

j/k

Yeah dude, "stay the course." Don't "cut and run." I mean, isn't this "islamo-fascism" enough to convince him? Where would the Iraqi people be today without the "shock and awe" of our military might? Isn't that an important part of our "strategery" in Iraq? We need to bring Iraq back to its "traditional values" and provide "stability" within the region before Iraq becomes a "terrorist breeding ground." Osama who?

Oh my god what have you started :)

Islamo-terrismo-facismoism-tyrantismo-communismo-nonjesusismo is more like it ;-D I think that seems catchy :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

j/k

Islamo-terrismo-facismoism-tyrantismo-communismo-nonjesusismo is more like it ;-D I think that seems catchy :-D

I just read the other day that "Islamo-Fascism" is a term coined by the Bush administration from the use of polls and focus groups to determine what the most affective terminology would be use as propaganda in the "war on terror."

I know, what have I started? We shouldn't be doing this either, the concern should be with this poor guy who has to go BACK to Iraq after getting his life together because we went to fight a war without any kind of notion or idea of what would happen after the occupation.

Oh, wait, that's right... Cheney said the Iraqi's would welcome us as liberators and we'd all grow daisies and throw darts at pictures of Bin Laden and Saddam.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

j/k

I just read the other day that "Islamo-Fascism" is a term coined by the Bush administration from the use of polls and focus groups to determine what the most affective terminology would be use as propaganda in the "war on terror."

I know, what have I started? We shouldn't be doing this either, the concern should be with this poor guy who has to go BACK to Iraq after getting his life together because we went to fight a war without any kind of notion or idea of what would happen after the occupation.

Oh, wait, that's right... Cheney said the Iraqi's would welcome us as liberators and we'd all grow daisies and throw darts at pictures of Bin Laden and Saddam.

I choose not to respond to your banter out of respect for AA's friend.
Let's just say that I still support the war effort and I still support the troops.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Let's just say that I still support the war effort and I still support the troops.

I know many people who think this way, and I was this way at first (at least in Afganistan). But I am seriously beginning to think that the two are mutually exclusive. I don't think anyone who supports this war (as currently being executed), and also say they are pro-troops.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Let's just say that I still support the war effort and I still support the troops.

I know many people who think this way, and I was this way at first (at least in Afganistan). But I am seriously beginning to think that the two are mutually exclusive. I don't think anyone who supports this war (as currently being executed), and also say they are pro-troops.

I guess you can say someone could not support the war but they still support the troops. You can also say that someone could support the war and not care less about the troops. Personally, I support both.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:04 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I guess you can say someone could not support the war but they still support the troops. You can also say that someone could support the war and not care less about the troops. Personally, I support both.

I'm saying I think the only way to support the troops is to NOT support the war, at least not as presently executed. If you support a war where the troops are not properly staffed or equipped and where they are being recalled after their service should be up; where there is no plan for completion, or exit strategy, to use a popular term; where there is no defined enemy; and where there is no defined goal, then you are by extension not supporting the troops being put in harms way, if you support the continuation of the war.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I'm saying I think the only way to support the troops is to NOT support the war, at least not as presently executed. If you support a war where the troops are not properly staffed or equipped and where they are being recalled after their service should be up; where there is no plan for completion, or exit strategy, to use a popular term; where there is no defined enemy; and where there is no defined goal, then you are by extension not supporting the troops being put in harms way, if you support the continuation of the war.

This thread is turning into what I didn't want this thread to turn into. Maybe that was AA's intent all along, as he can be devious.

There is a plan of completion. It's to hand over security operations to the Iraqi troops. This has already happened in the Kurdish region of the country.

You can say they are not properly equipped, but then again in all wars our troops were not properly equipped at first. As the enemy adapts and evolves so does our equiptment. It's an ongoing process. Our troops are better equipped today than the day this war started.

The enemy has changed in this war. First it was Saddam's regime and the Iraqi military. Now it's insurgents supplied by countries like Iraq and Syria who want control of the region. These counties do it purposely to create instability in the region. There is also fighting between the different Muslim sects in the country. I wouldn't consider them our enemy, more like a pesky problem.

Now, I do support the war but I may have done some things diffently. First, I wouldn't have disbanded the whole Iraqi military. I would have just removed those in command who were loyal to Saddam. Also I would have secured the borders so to prevent the flow of outsiders entering the theater.

Now just because I would have done things differently doesn't mean that I think we should just pull out our troops and end the war. Nor does it mean that I don't support the troops as they fight this war.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:40 pm

I support girl on girl love

acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert