I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays.

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:46 pm

My buddy Dave has had a bad week. Last Tuesday, his mother died. Yeah. Not much else to say there.

This Tuesday, he got more bad news.

A few days after Sept. 11, he signed up for a 2 year active duty. His contract was supposed to be up in late 2003 but he actually didn't get out until July 2005. He didn't complain, of course. But now that he's out, he went to college - he couldn't afford it before. Now he can, thanks to the GI Bill and some loans.

He has completed 2 semesters.

The army just called and has given him 30 days to report for active duty. He's done his time - and more. He doesn't want to go back. He was a good soldier before, sure, but this is asking a lot. The guy needs some time to get his life in order.

My question: How can I help him get out of this? He has a bad back thanks to having daily runs wearing a heavy pack. His foot is bad for the same reason. Those are his only physical problems, though. The guy served his country. He put in almost twice the time he signed up for.

If he has to go back to Iraq, I'll be livid.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:09 pm

Have they given him a recent physical? From the sound of it, I doubt the back and foot will be enough for them to fail him, but it's possible depending on what exactly he does.

How close was he and his mother? Any chance of a "mental anguish" type of thing that could get him out of it due to her recent passing?

Sounds like your buddy is a good guy, and I don't blame him at all for wanting to move forward with his life after giving twice the amount of time he signed up for, and starting college. Best of luck to him, no matter which way it goes. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Tell him to go get checked out by a mental health professional. They may tell him to not serve due to mental strain.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:59 pm

tell him to get a boyfriend.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:tell him to get a boyfriend.

Yeah, JD beat me to it... gayness is the easiest way out.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:15 pm

While I'm pro-military, Right Wing and all that stuff you so much admire me for, I'm not going to blurt out such today.
I do feel for your friend. He's trying to go foward in life yet this is preventing him. My best advice to you for him is to seek legal advice. Not here on a fantasy baseball message board, but at a law office.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:19 pm

This is one aspect of the military I've never understood nor agreed with. How can they call it a contract if they have the right to arbitrarily extend it without compensation? In commonlaw, a contract where only one side receives something can be voided. Why is this any different? I mean, what can they do to him if he doesn't go?

I know that they'll make him go through a bunch of litigation, but in the end, what grounds does the government have to do this???

Another :-t for this story, too.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CadensDad » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:25 am

He might want to look at shooting himself in the foot and yelling "The flies!!! the flies!!!!"............. Worked for a guy I know so maybe it will work for him....

In all honesty the situation sucks big time. I say go the mental crazy rle or physical role.

Also tell him thanks for serving. I'd get my fat tail shot if I had to go.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 am

I'm as supportive of the troops as the next guy, but seriously...anyone who STILL enlists after all of the stories like this that have come out, all of the stories about soldiers not being equipped with the right protective gear, etc, is a fool.

Edit: I realized that my post was a little ambiguous. I didn't mean to sound as if I was saying your friend is a fool. Obviously if he joined a few days after 9-11 he had no idea how this administration would mis-use and essentially abuse the military and the soldiers.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:09 am

JTWood wrote:This is one aspect of the military I've never understood nor agreed with. How can they call it a contract if they have the right to arbitrarily extend it without compensation? In commonlaw, a contract where only one side receives something can be voided. Why is this any different? I mean, what can they do to him if he doesn't go?

I know that they'll make him go through a bunch of litigation, but in the end, what grounds does the government have to do this???

Another :-t for this story, too.

the contract has provisions that allow for the army to recall troops. its just not something that is done very often so people dont really pay too much attention to it when they sign up. usually the contract is for a certain number of active years then you go into the reserve from which you can be recalled to active duty for something like 8-10 years after the date you first signed up. the person is compensated via salary, benefits, training etc. so it isnt considered a one sided contract.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk