100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A new type of fantasy league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A new type of fantasy league

Postby tms298 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:57 pm

My league is currently head to head and uses the following ten categories:
Runs, RBI, SB, Total Bases, OBP and Wins, ERA, WHIP, SV, k/9

The k/9 is there because it prevents someone from successfully churning their pitching staff. Total bases and OBP are used instead of HR and BA just because we like it that way.

Anyway, now that yahoo keeps track of head to head stats in a roto-style manner, I was wondering if anyone had explored the option of having a league that plays both h2h and roto. I believe that this would increase the amount of strategy involved (you can't afford to punt a category anymore, you wouldn't bench pitchers on sunday because you have a decent lead in saves or wins etc.) and would also hedge against the uncertainties invovled in h2h by rewarding the "best team" (roto) while still having the excitement of h2h.

Our league currently pays 50% for the regular season champ, and 50% for the playoff champ. This would be tweaked to reward the roto champ.

The primary disadvantage of this is that the roto stats would have to be calculated manually and are only updated at the end of each week. Additionally, there is no limit on innings pitched, but that is not as big of a deal because k/9 is used instead of number of strikeouts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Last edited by tms298 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:41 pm

How, exactly, would you do this? What if the manager with the best record is 3rd or so by roto record? I'm not following maybe....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tms298 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:57 pm

There would be a roto champion who receives 33% of the prize, a regular season h2h champion who receives 33%, and the head to head playoff champion who receives the last third.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:18 am

tms298 wrote:There would be a roto champion who receives 33% of the prize, a regular season h2h champion who receives 33%, and the head to head playoff champion who receives the last third.

If you could make it work where there is an outright winner, I'd sponsor that idea. But splitting it would be as frustrating as 1997 (damn those Wolverines!). No one would be the outright winner and I don't think I'd participate in a league where I didn't have a shot at that.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ja515y » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:26 pm

I was thinking you could use roto style for the season, then the top however many teams at the end of roto would play a head to head playoffs. I don't think you could find a way to do that other than calculate everything manually though. You could however, start a roto league, and then the top half of the teams could start a midseason draft with the same players h2h. The problem with that is the bottom half team would be done half-way through the season. Couple of interesting idea's to start with though.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcliffy2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:27 pm

Yahoo does keep track of Roto Stats for the most part, you wouldn't have to do it manually (besides calculating points, but as far as totals and standings, it does this)...on your league page, go to Head to Head stats, then go to totals. It took me a while to find this...kinda buried.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers