100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hidden Potato Trick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hidden Potato Trick

Postby shmolex » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:05 pm

Thought this was interesting.

http://thebaseballreport.com/news.asp?I ... 78&cid=112

n August 1987, Dave Bresnahan, a second-string catcher for the Williamsport Bills (AA-Eastern League), hatched an idea: what if … I used something other than a baseball to trick a runner off base to get him out?

When Bresnahan shared his idea with teammates, they laughed, then dared him. “Everybody said, ‘Why don’t you do it?’ remembers Bresnahan. "It started out as a dare, became a challenge, and I eventually did it."

With Williamsport in last-place (27 1/2 games back) and his dream of playing major league baseball waning (in 51 games, Bresnahan was hitting .141), Bresnahan got serious about his proposed gag.

"I went to the local grocery store and bought a bunch of potatoes," Bresnahan says. "I went back to my house and peeled one to two-thirds the size of a baseball. I even tried to draw laces on the potato with a red pen, but the ink wouldn’t stay on."

"It was tough,” remembers Bresnahan, in preparing the perfect potato trick. “I had to empty the whole bag of potatoes. The produce guy got kind of upset. He said, 'Hey, what are you looking for?' I didn't want to tell him what I was doing. So I said, 'I'm just looking for the right potato here.' "

Bresnahan finally mastered the potato, peeling it into a perfect size baseball. Seeing it in flight, you’d never know the baseball was – in reality – a peeled spud.

With Bresnahan playing sparingly and hitting a mere .149, he knew his days were numbered and his opportunity to pull off his trick limited. Bresnahan placed his perfectly peeled tater in a backup catcher’s glove and waited …

On September 1, 1987, opportunity knocked. Bresnahan was penciled in the starting lineup of game one of a doubleheader with Reading.

In the fifth inning, with Reading’s Rick Lundblade on third base, Bresnahan realized it’s now or never. The Bills catcher called timeout and told the home plate umpire something was wrong with his mitt, allowing him time to make the switch to the now infamous “potato glove”.

"When I picked up the potato glove that was the cue for everybody on the Bills that it was going to happen," Bresnahan said later in an interview. "I called for a slider away, so the batter wouldn’t hit the ball. During the pitch, I had to move the potato from my glove to my bare hand. After catching the ball, I rifled the potato over the head of the third baseman in to the left field."

That set off a chain of events that left Bresnahan’s teammates in stitches and fans, umpires, coaches and Reading players completely confused.

“The home plate umpire didn’t know what to do," Bresnahan recalls. "He (Scott Potter, home plate umpire) asked me, ‘What did you throw into the outfield?’ I said, it doesn’t matter because I have the ball and tagged the runner.

"They figured it out when the third base umpire retrieved the potato, which, by that time, was in three pieces in the outfield, "Bresnahan chuckles. "He (the third base umpire) thought it was funny, but he didn’t have to make the call."

Potter eventually decided to call the runner safe and the inning continued.

Williamsport manager Orlando Gomez was the only man in the park not laughing at the gag. Fuming, the Bills manager removed Bresnahan from the game, fined him $50 and the next day, the Cleveland Indians released Bresnahan and his four-year pro career was over.

"Gomez felt that I did it to make him look bad," remembers Bresnahan. "I was surprised they released me, but not too upset. I wasn’t playing well, and there were just a few games left. It wasn’t like they were taking my livelihood away …

“Steve Howe got five chances to play this game after using drugs. I was just trying to have some fun playing minor league baseball. We were 27 games out. Reading was already in the playoffs. I just figured, what the hell?"

The next day, upon his release, Bresnahan decided to play one last trick. When he arrived at the team clubhouse to clean out his locker, he brought with him a sack of potatoes. Bresnahan left a potato in every locker. "He then put a sack of 50 on Orlando Gomez’s desk with a note attached that said…’Orlando, surely you don’t expect me to pay the $50 fine since I got released,” said former assistant GM Rick Muntean. “Instead, here’s 50 potatoes. This spud’s for you.’

"It’s never going to happen again," Muntean said. "It was a fluke that the whole thing worked out. It was a great moment for minor league baseball. I’m thrilled that I was a part of the deal."

Bresnahan received instant recognition from the media. "After being released, I got home at 10:30 (a.m.) and the phone was ringing," Bresnahan says. "It was a writer in Arizona who said he saw the story on the AP wire, and he told me that everyone wanted a piece of me because of the potato thing. When I told him I just got released, he said that just added more spice to the story."

Bresnahan was interviewed by the NBC "Game of the Week,” Time magazine, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, and USA Today. He appeared on over 100 radio shows and has been interviewed by about 150 sportswriters through the years.

In 1988, the Williamsport club held a “Dave Bresnahan Day” and retired his uniform number 59. Bresnahan told the more than 4,000 fans in attendance, “Lou Gehrig had to play in 2,130 consecutive games and hit .340 for his number to be retired, and all I had to do was bat .140 and throw a potato.”
Last edited by shmolex on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:08 pm

hahaha thats awesome ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:24 pm

7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby 3 run homer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:32 pm

“Lou Gehrig had to play in 2,130 consecutive games and hit .340 for his number to be retired, and all I had to do was bat .140 and throw a potato.”

funny stuff. though maybe if he worked on his game as much as did trying to make a potato look like baseball he might've been a better ball player.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:44 pm

:-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:55 pm

A funny story indeed. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mad'sWife » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:08 pm

That was a great story. :-D

Thanks for the laugh. ;-D
We either make ourselves happy or miserable.

The amount of work is the same.
Mad'sWife
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mugrila » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:15 pm

It's brilliant really. :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:17 pm

I definitely needed the chuckle. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:29 pm

3 run homer wrote: though maybe if he worked on his game as much as did trying to make a potato look like baseball he might've been a better ball player.

That is the first thing I thought of as well while reading the story.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk