The Departed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Departed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Departed

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 am

I saw a preview on this movie last night. Is anyone else looking forward to this movie? Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg. Pretty impressive cast.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:46 am

Just watched the preview. It looked interesting, but I wasn't wowed by it. It's neat that they cast DiCaprio as the good cop and Damon as the mole, but I don't know that reversing up their normal roles will overcome the fact that this is a pretty used up plot line. Maybe if there's some amazing twist to it...

Anyways, I'll probably see it at the theatres. In a normal year, this movies would be upper 50% in my book, but Hollywood's been putting out crap for a couple of years now. This is upper-echelon by their current standards.

I mean, when I'm pumped for something like The Prestige to hit the theatres, that's saying something.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:03 am

Wow Matt Damon and Linardio Decrapio.

I'll put on my tutoo and watch that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Half Massed » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:Wow Matt Damon and Linardio Decrapio.

I'll put on my tutoo and watch that

:-b
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:36 pm

JTWood wrote:Just watched the preview. It looked interesting, but I wasn't wowed by it. It's neat that they cast DiCaprio as the good cop and Damon as the mole, but I don't know that reversing up their normal roles will overcome the fact that this is a pretty used up plot line. Maybe if there's some amazing twist to it...

Anyways, I'll probably see it at the theatres. In a normal year, this movies would be upper 50% in my book, but Hollywood's been putting out crap for a couple of years now. This is upper-echelon by their current standards.

I mean, when I'm pumped for something like The Prestige to hit the theatres, that's saying something.

You're right that this seems like a rehash. I hope that there is a twist to it. It's a Scorcese pic so there is some hope. But I disagree on the lack of good pics. I saw Little Miss Sunshine yesterday and I was on the floor laughing. One of the funniest pics in a long time. Thank You for Smoking was also a good pic.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby DSpec » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
JTWood wrote:Just watched the preview. It looked interesting, but I wasn't wowed by it. It's neat that they cast DiCaprio as the good cop and Damon as the mole, but I don't know that reversing up their normal roles will overcome the fact that this is a pretty used up plot line. Maybe if there's some amazing twist to it...

You're right that this seems like a rehash. I hope that there is a twist to it. It's a Scorcese pic so there is some hope. But I disagree on the lack of good pics. I saw Little Miss Sunshine yesterday and I was on the floor laughing. One of the funniest pics in a long time. Thank You for Smoking was also a good pic.

This movie is a rehash. It is a remake of the Hong Kong film "Infernal Affairs" that Hollywood bought the rights to. That film was really good and set box office records in Hong Kong and it also included an A list cast of Hong Kong actors.

Well, hopefully The Departed can live up to the original film and I'm confident it will with such a great cast and Scorcese directing it. Maybe this film will bring Scorcese his first Oscar.
DSpec
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:48 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

I've heard nothing but good things about Little Miss Sunshine, but I doubt one movie will change the fact that Hollywood has generally been churning out junk for the last two years.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:54 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

I've heard nothing but good things about Little Miss Sunshine, but I doubt one movie will change the fact that Hollywood has generally been churning out junk for the last two years.

Yeah, Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious and extremely well written and acted. It wasn't really Will Ferrell type of funny; it was more like clever and witty situation funny, which is usually better. I wouldn't be surprised it its up for best picture.

Speaking of Will Ferrell, there was a preview for a movie where he plays an OCD guy and a woman is writing a book about his life, but he can hear her narrate his story and she's suicidal and, I don't know, seems original at least.

As for The Departed, I'll have to see it... it's Scorsese.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dewey finn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 pm

HOLY SH*T

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

I saw it tonight and it was AMAZING.

Of course, it will never be better than the original, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, but DAMN, this movie was the best movie I've seen in a theater recent years.

I hope to god they give HK film credit since The Departed used sooooooo many scenes and little parts from Infernal Affairs (almost line for line too).

Go rent/download/whatever Infernal Affairs guys, make sure you have subs.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 pm

I have also heard that this movie oozes with awesomeness. Must see to know....
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk