Help settle a huge dispute in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help settle a huge dispute in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:03 pm

hersch223 wrote:I say look at the head-to-head record between the two teams for the season. Whoever wins that, takes 1st.

I would have thought that's the #1 tiebreaker now that you mention it.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:41 am

Yahoo regular season tie breakers stink. :-t

Offical Yahoo! Rules wrote:If, at the end of the regular season, two or more players in a Head-to-Head League finish tied in the standings (based on a Games Behind calculation), the following system will be used to break the tie and determine playoff seedings:

1. Overall winning percentage.

2. Highest winning percentage in Week 22.

3. Highest winning percentage in Week 21.

4. Highest winning percentage in Week 20.

5. Highest winning percentage in Week 19.

6. Highest winning percentage in Week 18.

7. Highest winning percentage in Week 17.

8. Highest winning percentage in Week 16.

9. Highest winning percentage in Week 15.

10. Highest winning percentage in Week 14.

11. Highest winning percentage in Week 13.

12. Highest winning percentage in Week 12.

13. Highest winning percentage in Week 11.

14. Highest winning percentage in Week 10.

15. Highest winning percentage in Week 9.

16. Highest winning percentage in Week 8.

17. Highest winning percentage in Week 7.

18. Highest winning percentage in Week 6.

19. Highest winning percentage in Week 5.

20. Highest winning percentage in Week 4.

21. Highest winning percentage in Week 3.

22. Highest winning percentage in Week 2.

23. Highest winning percentage in Week 1.

24. Random "coin flip."

They aren’t as bad as the playoff tiebreakers.

Offical Yahoo! Rules wrote:In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:
(See below if your league does not use one or more of the following categories.)

1. Lowest team ERA.

2. Highest team AVG.

3. Lowest team WHIP.

4. Most team HR.

5. Most team wins.

6. Most team RBI.

7. Most team saves.

8. Most team runs.

9. Most team SO.

10. Most team SB.

11. Random "coin flip."

Notes:

* The first category above that is not tied will settle the tiebreaker. So, tiebreaker No. 2, team AVG., will be used only if team ERA is tied.
* In a Custom League the same tiebreakers apply. If a category above is not used in your league, please skip it and move on to the next criteria. So, if your league does not use ERA, then the first scoring category used to settle the tie will be team AVG.

:-P
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby master453 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:59 am

yes yahoos tiebreakers suck. h2h matchup winner would be much better decider.

but you cant just make something up(for the current season anyway) now that there is a tie. you have to use whats already in place (the yahoo system).

the other teams cant argue about it, b/c thats the rule in place. but if you change the rules and i was team A, i'd walk away. you win the league by the rules, and then they change the rules so you dont win after the fact, and take your money away? thats a total joke.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:01 am

master453 wrote:yes yahoos tiebreakers suck. h2h matchup winner would be much better decider.

but you cant just make something up(for the current season anyway) now that there is a tie. you have to use whats already in place (the yahoo system).

the other teams cant argue about it, b/c thats the rule in place. but if you change the rules and i was team A, i'd walk away. you win the league by the rules, and then they change the rules so you dont win after the fact, and take your money away? thats a total joke.

But their league doesn't have a rule in place, hence the quandry.

If your league has followed yahoo rules all year, I think you could safely default to yahoo rules here. Both are making a decent amount of money and at least covering the entry fee. Since yahoo rules are accepted in many, many leagues, you have a solid rationale for leaving things the way they are.

Personally, I would quietly ask all the other owners what they think. In the end, it is your league, regardless of what we here think.

Just curious, but what was their record against one another. In many professional leagues, this is often used as a tiebreaker. If it helps first place, you could safely announce he's in first considering all the other ways of deciding this.

Your third place winner comes across as a truly class act. I'd be proud to have such an owner in one of my leagues. I hope you will let him know that.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bing Hampton » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:27 am

ukrneal wrote:
master453 wrote:yes yahoos tiebreakers suck. h2h matchup winner would be much better decider.

But their league doesn't have a rule in place, hence the quandry.

If your league has followed yahoo rules all year, I think you could safely default to yahoo rules here. Both are making a decent amount of money and at least covering the entry fee. Since yahoo rules are accepted in many, many leagues, you have a solid rationale for leaving things the way they are.

Personally, I would quietly ask all the other owners what they think. In the end, it is your league, regardless of what we here think.

Just curious, but what was their record against one another. In many professional leagues, this is often used as a tiebreaker. If it helps first place, you could safely announce he's in first considering all the other ways of deciding this.

Your third place winner comes across as a truly class act. I'd be proud to have such an owner in one of my leagues. I hope you will let him know that.

Team A beat Team B 9-8-3 in over 2 matchups in the season. He has also already brought up this point.

I will let the 3rd place winner know that he is admired, ukrneal. In fact, I think I will be posting a link to this thread on the league message board. He is actually the commish, and just had a baby over the weekend!
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:53 am

Old_Style wrote:rock, paper, scissors....there's no other way

Yes there is: haiku off.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:23 am

Bing Hampton wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Yahoo doesn't figure it out by most # of wins, but by least # of losses.

Despite having 2 less wins and 4 more ties than the team behind me, giving us the exact same winning %, I won the division and got the playoff bye because I had 2 less losses.

you are way wrong here. Y! figures it by the "games behind formula" which averages the difference between the number of wins and losses each team has. your 4 ties offset those 2 wins, and I'm guessing you finished exactly a game ahead because of the 2 less losses.

Is that what games behind means? Thanks. If you read my post, we had the exact same winning % at .563, which shows him as - games behind, and I won the division, despite having 2 less wins. Also I went 7-4-1 in Week 22 while the team I tied with went 8-2-2, which debunks their other tiebreaker...
Last edited by bigken117 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:36 am

How can you change the rules AFTER the season is over? Knowing this much money was involved, I don't know how tiebreaker rules were never discussed. Because they weren't, using Yahoo rules are the only way to do it. Seems pretty simple to me. Sounds like Team B is a jerk. (Hope it's not you)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:45 am

bigh0rt wrote:Just let Yahoo! make the call, and go by the default settings. There's no need to go beyond that, IMO. Next year, if you want to install some sort of tiebreaker rule, by all means, but it's too late in the game at this point to go tweaking things after the fact.

Bingo. No one can objectively weigh in on this now that things are settled. Go with Yahoo, as it is the only objective measure. It sucks. I posted something on this just last week. It's retarded. I hate it, but it's all you guys have right now.

But, please, for the love of all things holy, put in a decent tie-breaker system before next year gets here!

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby zevon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:16 am

You guys signed up for a Yahoo legue and made it for money.
I doubt anyone thought it would be this close, and you guys didn't make any tiebreaker rules.
What other choice do you have but to follow Yahoo's tiebreak?
May be lousy, stupid, and unfair, but the rules have been there all season long and nobody challenged them before the season was over.
I'm in the "no rule changes after the first day" camp and I think you're stuck. Lesson learned for next year, find a different league provider or put in tiebreak rules before the season starts.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers