Help settle a huge dispute in my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help settle a huge dispute in my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help settle a huge dispute in my league

Postby Bing Hampton » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:49 pm

I will try to present this as objectively as possible (I am one of the teams involved)....

12 team Y! H2H

1st through 4th regular season finishers are paid plus whomever wins the playoffs.

The top 2 teams finished tied this morning by the "games behind" formula, and this is how the Y! tiebreaker system shook out based on highest winning percentage 2 weeks ago (yeah, this was close)

1. Team A 126-77-17 .611
2. Team B 123-74-23 .611
3. Team C 125-77-18 .609 0.5 GB
4. Team D 128-80-12 .609 0.5 GB

Team A was awarded first seed based on having had a better winning percentage in week 20 (both teams had identical records in weeks 21 and 22). The league has no existing rule on tiebreakers, it's never been this close before. Team A contends that absent of any existing rule on ties that we must honor the Y! default setting. Team B (awarded 2nd seed) believes that the two are tied and must split the combined payout for 1st and 2nd down the middle. Team C offers to split 3rd and 4th with team D even though he won his tiebreaker. I won't even get into the drama that Team A will bring up around who gets what draft pick next year, should he have to share first.

What do you all think about ties?
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tal1286 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:59 pm

wow. that's ridiculously close.

IMO, you guys should have the tied teams total the money for 1st and 2nd and split it, like you suggested. That is the most fair way to do it. One other thing, maybe you should point out to team A that they don't actually have the best winning percentage. If you solve for win % using wins/(wins+losses) team B would finish first with .624 then team A with .620. To be honest, I'm not sure how Yahoo got .611, maybe you add ties in somehow but I dunno. Anyway, I'd have teams A and B do what teams C and D are doing because it is the only reasonable way to do it.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:09 pm

I would leave them as is and don't split anything by paying 1st - 4th what you set before the season. If one team finished 6th and the other 7th but had equal GB, you can't argue to put the 7th place team in the playoffs. Just go by Yahoo default standings, I'd say.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:14 pm

Well, lets set one thing straight... you need to make a rule for this situation next season. Something along the lines of most total wins as the first tie-breaker, then h2h record against each other as the second tie-breaker. Having to follow Yahoo's retarded tie-break rules is awful.

That being said, absent a rule on a certain matter, you have to default to Yahoo's rules. It's the only fair thing to do. Pay out 1-4 as they are ordered on the league page, make a rule for next season, and move on.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bing Hampton » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:24 pm

tal1286 wrote:wow. that's ridiculously close.

IMO, you guys should have the tied teams total the money for 1st and 2nd and split it, like you suggested. That is the most fair way to do it. One other thing, maybe you should point out to team A that they don't actually have the best winning percentage. If you solve for win % using wins/(wins+losses) team B would finish first with .624 then team A with .620. To be honest, I'm not sure how Yahoo got .611, maybe you add ties in somehow but I dunno. Anyway, I'd have teams A and B do what teams C and D are doing because it is the only reasonable way to do it.

I hear what you are saying about win %, but yahoo takes in to account ties by adding half of their total to your wins and then dividing by toatl number of games. Thus, a tie affects your record as both 0.5 win and 0.5 loss.

Keep it coming guys, you are making good points that maybe haven't been considered by all parties.
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Just let Yahoo! make the call, and go by the default settings. There's no need to go beyond that, IMO. Next year, if you want to install some sort of tiebreaker rule, by all means, but it's too late in the game at this point to go tweaking things after the fact.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:50 pm

Just go by Yahoo. If you didn't have a rule in place, there's no sense in adding one in now. Though, you may want to look into that for nest year.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 pm

rock, paper, scissors....there's no other way
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby master453 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 pm

agreed...in absence of something else prearranged the yahoo determination should stand.

if people arent happy with the yahoo way long term, vote on a new system in the offseason when people can be completely objective about it.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Tiex » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Old_Style wrote:rock, paper, scissors....there's no other way

it IS the only way :-b ;-D
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next