Those Florida Marlins... just keep on trucking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Those Florida Marlins... just keep on trucking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Those Florida Marlins... just keep on trucking

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Jeez. Another win today. 69-68 on the year and right behind SD and PHI for a wild card spot. Who would have thunk it?

One Cafe member here had a bold prediction in the "Predictions" section that the Marlins would be the NL Wild Card winner. Dont know who that was but if it comes true that would be the best prediction all year.

How are these guys doing it? Cabrera, who was supposed to really struggle this year, is having a fine year, although the powers down the RBIs are up and so is the AVG. Willis isnt even having an elite year but hes been solid and keeping them in games- this staff is amazing with Olsen/Willis/Johnson etc.

Hanley Ramirez, Uggla, and Willingham have all been playing way better than expected.

Just wanted to start up a little discussion in Leftovers because this story is really interesting to me
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:42 pm

The Marlins are definitely the best story of the year imo. I just hope that Girardi does not get canned at the end of the year like rumors have said. Mcab is a definite superstar and should get quite a few votes for MVP. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Hanley is looking to be a solid leadoff guy for M-Cab to hit in for as long as he's in Florida.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roninmedia » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:57 pm

One of my friends has three buddies who work in the Marlins scouting department and he says, according to them, the organization basically raped and pillaged the teams they traded with when it came to prospects. We got enough quality prospects for what would possibly be a dynasty. But I don't believe they ever said they expected it this season. They were figuring maybe 70 wins.

The saddest part is that Joe Girardi is most likely on his way out after the season. :-t
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm

girardi would look pretty good in cubbie blue next season though...even though i'm a southsider i would love to see him return to chicago as the manager of the cubs
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:05 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:The Marlins are definitely the best story of the year imo. I just hope that Girardi does not get canned at the end of the year like rumors have said. Mcab is a definite superstar and should get quite a few votes for MVP. ;-D

What I'm hearing is that he's gone at the end of the year no matter what. It's a shame because even if him and management don't see eye-to-eye, I think you have to keep him around with the way he's handled the team this year, playoffs or not.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:27 pm

With all the youth and inexperience on that team, I figured they'd be making a Wild Card run this time next year. These guys have really pulled together as a team.

Josh Johnson for NL ROY B-)

Joe Girardi for NL Manager of the Year ;-D

Miguel Cabrera for NL MVP? :-?
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:41 pm

Miguel Cabrera for NL MVP?

Interesting talk for a guy from St. Louis -- your hometown has the only deserving MVP candidate, IMO -- though, I imagine M-Cab will get some votes, similarly the way I think a guy like Berkman would get some if Houston made the playoffs.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:57 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Interesting talk for a guy from St. Louis

I've never been a particularly huge Cardinals' fan, and I've had a bit of a falling-out with them since they became more about the money and less about the fans these last couple years.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gfantasy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:10 pm

roninmedia wrote:One of my friends has three buddies who work in the Marlins scouting department and he says, according to them, the organization basically raped and pillaged the teams they traded with when it came to prospects. We got enough quality prospects for what would possibly be a dynasty. But I don't believe they ever said they expected it this season. They were figuring maybe 70 wins.

The saddest part is that Joe Girardi is most likely on his way out after the season. :-t

It's sad that this team wont ever become a dynasty if the organization continues to behave this way...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers