Kevin Kouzmanoff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:what is the point of letting someone hit like Aaron Boone, just because they are young?

so he can get major league experience.. and by next season maybe he will be really to make a contribution in the majors.. theyre done this season, so why not let a young guy start getting his feet wet? it would be better for him to work out the kinks now when the team is out of contention, then say next year when theyre trying to make a run.. :-°
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Why not let him 'work out his kinks' in the minors? Calling up a player who hasn't handled AAA pitching yet doesn't seem like a great idea to me. As long as he isn't dominating in the minors, he should keep hitting down there... it's not like he is an incredible fielder...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Pedantic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:00 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:At some point don't you stop excusing someone's age... I mean yeah Marte's been young, but putting up average numbers at a young age shouldn't guarantee that he will greatly improve on those numbers in the future.

I wouldn't call his minor league numbers average by any means, but they don't blow people away either. I don't think he'll be a superstar, but he could be a very good major league player.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby stumpak » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:38 am

Marte has been playing above his age and experience level his entire career, and has generally produced. There is a reason that he is a top 10 prospect and Kouzmanoff is not even close to that list. The fact is that while it sometimes takes guys longer than expected to come around, top 10 prospects coming out of AA and AAA rarely flame out. Keep in mind that Marte was playing AAA while Kouzmanoff was still swinging aluminum in college.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:31 am

Who cares if Marte has spent more time in AAA?
Doesn't the fact that Marte has spent more time at AAA and still hasn't produced show that Marte isn't adjusting as he should?
Kouzmanoff's SLG @ Buffalo was only .124 less than Marte's OPS there...
Have you looked at Marte's AAA numbers? He hit 15 HRs... but with a .261 AVG and .451 SLG, also these numbers represent a DECLINE from the year before.
Kouzmanoff hit 7 HRs in AAA (in 27 games) with a .353 BAand a .647 SLG...
Why not leave Marte in AAA 'til he learns to hit minor league pitching? Kouzmanoff is the one who looks like he's ready now.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby stumpak » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:18 am

I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is the earlier assertion that Kouzmanoff > Marte.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 am

stumpak wrote:I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is the earlier assertion that Kouzmanoff > Marte.

Minor league prospect lists are soooo volitile. They can change easily since these guys are so young and unproven. I'll gladly take Kouz over Marte. Marte is FAR from a top 20 minor league prospect for me, let alone top 10. He got that high praise like 3 years ago and hasn't ever really lived up to it. I'm surprised he still gets the love.

Kouz > Marte ;-7

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers