And down the stretch they come... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

And down the stretch they come...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

And down the stretch they come...

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:48 am

With all the hype over how much better H2H is, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my roto league. It's a 16 team mixed league with 10 keepers. I won going away last year, and have won 2 of the 4 years. The other two champs, from the initial year and year 3, are going to prevent me from repeating. Beginning in June, I stepped out to about 10-15 point lead which I held for about two months. But, I couldn't swing a deal at the trade deadline, while some of the other contenders did, and Wright and Pujols, the bedrock of my offense, have struggled.

So, now with a month to go, we have 4 teams separated by ten points. The 4th place team, has finished in the top 5 every year, but never won. Because we are all custered together in ERA, average, wins, and a few other categories, 3-6 point swings are regular. There are two other teams about another 10 points back, who could definitely make a run during the final because of the closeness of several categories.

We have an active message board (closing in on 1,000 notes) as guys plan for next year and we debate rules changes.

What's my point? It's not the league rules that make a league work.

It's the people.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Yeah, roto and H2H both have serious stretch runs, just as long as you are in the top few teams.

But you make a good point. I enjoy doing a couple of both varieties each year, just for the sake of keeping things different. The thing that makes the league best is competitiveness. In my cafe league, I'm in fifth place, but it's been the best league I've been in this year because everyone's active. I'd rather finish 5th in a real league than 1st in a crappy public league.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:05 pm

I don't need to get into the whole H2H/Roto deabte, but I enjoy both. Variety is the spice of life.

But I certainly agree with you, it's the people that make the league. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:40 am

Hmm.. 4 points separate 1st thru 4th in my cafe challenge league. I believe last year it was pretty tight in the league as well (this is my first year).

If you play in a really competitive league with very good opponents where the ultimate winner might not even score over 90 points, it makes for some exciting fantasy baseball.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Re: And down the stretch they come...

Postby ukrneal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:What's my point? It's not the league rules that make a league work.

It's the people.

Well said! You could play with the most outlandish rules out there, but if the people are good, the league will be lots of fun!
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Re: And down the stretch they come...

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:With all the hype over how much better H2H is, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my roto league. It's a 16 team mixed league with 10 keepers. I won going away last year, and have won 2 of the 4 years. The other two champs, from the initial year and year 3, are going to prevent me from repeating. Beginning in June, I stepped out to about 10-15 point lead which I held for about two months. But, I couldn't swing a deal at the trade deadline, while some of the other contenders did, and Wright and Pujols, the bedrock of my offense, have struggled.

So, now with a month to go, we have 4 teams separated by ten points. The 4th place team, has finished in the top 5 every year, but never won. Because we are all custered together in ERA, average, wins, and a few other categories, 3-6 point swings are regular. There are two other teams about another 10 points back, who could definitely make a run during the final because of the closeness of several categories.

We have an active message board (closing in on 1,000 notes) as guys plan for next year and we debate rules changes.

What's my point? It's not the league rules that make a league work.

It's the people.

agreed ..
Solid league ..

we have had a 4 team battle in my Money league all season too.
there are 4 of of tied up in WHIP, RBI's SB's and K's ...
It makes for some interesting weeks, where as you have 6-8 point swings between the 4 of us. It is nerve racking to be quite honest. Fun, but nerve racking. It is not supposed to be this volatile this late in the season.

good luck
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby noseeum » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:19 pm

You're right. It's the people. And people who like roto are no fun, so I don't want to play with them.

LOL. Just kidding. I just couldn't resist.

I agree with you completely, and I like both styles.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers