Croc Hunter Dead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Croc Hunter Dead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:24 pm

RynMan wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:That's tragic. He made a DVD with the Wiggles and my kids have been fans of his ever since.

btw - has RynMan been around in the past day? :-?

Yeah dude. Pretty awful. It's amazing how hard this has hit so many people down here. More so where I am - Steve's wildlife park "Australia Zoo" is like 40 mins drive from here, so the state is pretty saddened by the news as he is a local guy.

He put Australia and Queensland on the map, and was a big spokesman for wildlife protection. It's a big blow all around. I feel awful for his family.

He was the third person to ever die from a stingray attack in Australia....and something like the 17th in the world. That's just horrible luck. Some of the crazy stuff he did, man it's actually surprising he wasn't killed earlier!

I wonder if they will leave his picture on signs for Australia Zoo plastered all around this city..... I hope so.

I would imagine a street or two and a building may eventually be named in his honor as well. As it should be.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I would imagine a street or two and a building may eventually be named in his honor as well. As it should be.

Or people who didn't like him may call him an animal abuser.

Disgusting... :-t :-t :-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:16 pm

JTWood wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I would imagine a street or two and a building may eventually be named in his honor as well. As it should be.

Or people who didn't like him may call him an animal abuser.

Disgusting... :-t :-t :-t

Apparently some woman wrote an article (not sure where....maybe here or the UK) saying how the animals finally got their own back for all the tormenting that he has subjected them to.

She should be shot. She obviously has no idea.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 am

I've got to say - This story makes me angry. Actually, Irwin makes me angry.

He's got a young family and he goes out and takes one of the most dangerous jobs on earth -deliberately provoking deadly animals. I can't imagine how his family feels. In addition to having lost a huge part of their lives, they know that it was his own fault and - with a bit more precaution - he need not have died.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:39 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I've got to say - This story makes me angry. Actually, Irwin makes me angry.

He's got a young family and he goes out and takes one of the most dangerous jobs on earth -deliberately provoking deadly animals. I can't imagine how his family feels. In addition to having lost a huge part of their lives, they know that it was his own fault and - with a bit more precaution - he need not have died.

AA, did you see how many people have died from a stingray attack?

3 in Australian history. He was diving, like thousands of other people do in this country daily. It was a freak incident.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 am

RynMan wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:I've got to say - This story makes me angry. Actually, Irwin makes me angry.

AA, did you see how many people have died from a stingray attack?

3 in Australian history. He was diving, like thousands of other people do in this country daily. It was a freak incident.

I don't see what you're trying to say. I doubt you're saying that his job wasn't dangerous - it clearly was. I'm sure you're not saying that he didn't die at work - he clearly did.

He died because of what he chose to do for a living. If I were his kid, I'd grow up wondering why I wasn't important enough to my father to quit his wildly dangerous job. My mother - a woman who didn't consume any sugar, who exercised, who fought valiently against her cancer - died from that cancer. And I still question what more we could have done to save her. I suspect his family will have many more questions than I do. That's all. It seems selfish.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:00 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
I don't see what you're trying to say. I doubt you're saying that his job wasn't dangerous - it clearly was. I'm sure you're not saying that he didn't die at work - he clearly did.

He died because of what he chose to do for a living. If I were his kid, I'd grow up wondering why I wasn't important enough to my father to quit his wildly dangerous job. My mother - a woman who didn't consume any sugar, who exercised, who fought valiently against her cancer - died from that cancer. And I still question what more we could have done to save her. I suspect his family will have many more questions than I do. That's all. It seems selfish.

Personal choices I guess. He was so passionate about what he did, obviously he didn't think that he would die from it, or that the risk of it was enough for him to stop for his family.

No, Im not saying his job wasn't dangerous. Like I said, it's amazing he wasn't fatally injured earlier. What I am saying is that the method in which he died had hardly anything to do with taking risks. If he had dived into the water that was littered with sharks and blood in the water, then I'd feel the same way.

I see your point, but I don't think you can fault people for being passionate about something. If he died in a crocodile pen, I'd take your point entirely.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:16 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I doubt you're saying that his job wasn't dangerous - it clearly was. I'm sure you're not saying that he didn't die at work - he clearly did.

He died because of what he chose to do for a living.

Driving to work is more dangerous than diving on the coast of Australia. Unless you walk to where you teach -- which is still dangerous, mind you -- you're really putting yourself at risk. Think about your kids the next time you get in a car or walk on the sidewalk.

RIP Irwin. Your quirky personality was what started my brother's interest -- he thanks you -- in marine biology.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 am

You know, AA, I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but you make strong, rational arguments in almost every post, so I have a great level of respect for you. That said, you are way off the mark here.

This guy was doing the same thing last week that he did his whole life. He defined himself by what he did with these animals, and that was part of his personality and soul long before his wife and kids ever came along. That means his wife fell in love him for everything that he was, risks included. Sure, he could have gone the conservative route when he had kids and stayed home, but I have to think that removing his life-long passion would have destroyed the man his wife and kids knew and loved. Do you think his family would rather have a shortened version of the man they knew and loved or an extended version of their husband and father who was a shell of his former self because he couldn't go out and do what shaped and formed the very fabric of his life?

I mean, that's like asking you to stop being an intellectual liberal. If that happened, your whole life would be rearranged. People who have known you for years wouldn't even recognize you. Your family would be wondering where their spouse/son/brother/cousin/uncle went. It just wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't be right (or left, in your case... :-D ).
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:20 am

Irwin was doing dangerous things with animals long before he got a family. His wife is an American who, for years, traveled with him on his dangerous adventures. Irwin was basically the face and, more importantly, the voice of the Queensland Zoo. His wife knew what she was getting into, not only whens he married him, but also when they began having kids. I remember one episode of The Crocodile Hunter was just of his wife's labor and delivery of their first baby. Now, i agree that it was a bit absurd to hold your infant daughter while feeding a crocodile, but this was what they did and this is what Steve Irwin was. It's never something that should be praised when someone dies, particularly someone who was a national symbol to Australia.

I think that his family feels that he died doing what he loved; not that he died unnecessarily. In fact, that is what they have said. Perhaps all firefighters and police officers should quit their jobs as soon as they have a family; after all there is danger involved in those professions as well.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk