Will Ryan Howard become the new Homerun King if he hits 62? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Ryan Howard become the new Homerun King if he hits 62?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:43 pm

DK wrote:
noseeum wrote:
DK wrote:
JRRNeiklot wrote:I don't know if Howard is on steroids, but I do know a couple things. The game has changed since Maris' day. The fences are shorter, expansion pitching sucks, the balls are much hotter, the mound has been lowered, and the strike zone is about as big as my penis. IMO, Maris will be the single season champ even if Howard hits 90. Hell, Ruth would hit 200 in today's game. And win 40.

Ruth played in one of the biggest offensive eras in history... :-?

DK, when Ruth hit 60, the second place home run hitter was teammate Lou Gehrig with 47. Decent amount of homers. Want to know how many number three had? 18.

He had more home runs than any of the other 7 American League TEAMS that year.

They may have been scoring some runs, but they weren't hitting homers.

*Shrug* Ruth just started 5 years before anyone else did. He made the game about the home run, which it hadn't had been previous to him. Soon enough everyone was jacking.

Ruth hit 59 in 1921. Five years is selling him a little short. You were responding to JRR's quote about how Ruth would hit 200 today with a confused "Ruth hit in the one of the biggest offensive eras in history", as if he was barely hitting more homers than anyone else. That's clearly not the case.

If you meant something other than that, than I don't really understand your quoting JRR.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:56 pm

JRRNeiklot wrote:I don't know if Howard is on steroids, but I do know a couple things. The game has changed since Maris' day. The fences are shorter, expansion pitching sucks, the balls are much hotter, the mound has been lowered, and the strike zone is not big. IMO, Maris will be the single season champ even if Howard hits 90. Hell, Ruth would hit 200 in today's game. And win 40.

Well, by your logic, it would be more like 200 home runs to go with a 1-19 record, a 9.44 ERA, and 19 strikeouts in 169.2 innings.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers