Will Ryan Howard become the new Homerun King if he hits 62? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Ryan Howard become the new Homerun King if he hits 62?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JRRNeiklot » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:38 pm

I don't know if Howard is on steroids, but I do know a couple things. The game has changed since Maris' day. The fences are shorter, expansion pitching sucks, the balls are much hotter, the mound has been lowered, and the strike zone is not big. IMO, Maris will be the single season champ even if Howard hits 90. Hell, Ruth would hit 200 in today's game. And win 40.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevekahuda » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:23 am

In my mind he would be. The Philly Daily new is running a countdown to Maris. I believe they are calling it "the countdown to the real record" or something of that nature. I've also been reading articles by sports writers saying that they believe it would be the real record, and would refer to it as such. Then, its a wikiality. We can all agree on reality. The reality we just agreed on...
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:27 am

thinking of what players can be on is maddening. i wont celebrate him passing maris, ill just enjoy watching this tear he's on.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 am

stevekahuda wrote:In my mind he would be. The Philly Daily new is running a countdown to Maris. I believe they are calling it "the countdown to the real record" or something of that nature. I've also been reading articles by sports writers saying that they believe it would be the real record, and would refer to it as such. Then, its a wikiality. We can all agree on reality. The reality we just agreed on...

Let me guess....you read Wetzel's and Passan's articles on the topic, right? Basically their reasoning behind Howard being the true HR champ (if he hits 62) is Rich Maris says so, Ryan Howard looks "clean," and because of this, Howard deserves it. Yep, those 2 really changed my mind with those persuasive arguments.

Here's a few facts for you: Bonds, Sosa (I'm still trying to understand why he's included in this, do people just assume he took something because he hit a bunch of HRs in the late 90s? Then why don't we assume the same thing about Ryan Howard? It's not like the steroid era has actually ended, along with HGH which is, according to Grimsley, the new performance enhancer) and McGwire has never been proven to be cheaters. There were no rules in place when these players supposedly did these things, even though baseball knew full well what was going on. But Selig or the owners do anything? Nope.

The bottomline is these papers and sportswriters can't rewrite record books based on who they want or who they think deserve it. The real reality is, Barry Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001. That will never change. And until somebody hits that many in one season, he will hold that record.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DK » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:13 am

JRRNeiklot wrote:I don't know if Howard is on steroids, but I do know a couple things. The game has changed since Maris' day. The fences are shorter, expansion pitching sucks, the balls are much hotter, the mound has been lowered, and the strike zone is about as big as my penis. IMO, Maris will be the single season champ even if Howard hits 90. Hell, Ruth would hit 200 in today's game. And win 40.

Ruth played in one of the biggest offensive eras in history... :-?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby gfantasy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:18 am

On pace for 66...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Deuce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:29 pm

Yeah, he would have the Philadelphia Phillies Homerun record (which he already has).
Major League Baseball's Homerun record is currently 73. In case you were not watching. The wins counted, the losses counted, the walks counted, the strikeouts counted, the hits counted, the errors counted and the HOMERUNS counted. If in your mind the records are invalid, that's your opinion and in your mind, because if you go back and check the official records and scorebooks, Barry Bonds hit 73 homeruns. That's reality.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm

DK wrote:
JRRNeiklot wrote:I don't know if Howard is on steroids, but I do know a couple things. The game has changed since Maris' day. The fences are shorter, expansion pitching sucks, the balls are much hotter, the mound has been lowered, and the strike zone is about as big as my penis. IMO, Maris will be the single season champ even if Howard hits 90. Hell, Ruth would hit 200 in today's game. And win 40.

DK, when Ruth hit 60, the second place home run hitter was teammate Lou Gehrig with 47. Decent amount of homers. Want to know how many number three had? 18.

He had more home runs than any of the other 7 American League TEAMS that year.

They may have been scoring some runs, but they weren't hitting homers.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:50 pm

noseeum wrote:
DK wrote:

DK, when Ruth hit 60, the second place home run hitter was teammate Lou Gehrig with 47. Decent amount of homers. Want to know how many number three had? 18.

He had more home runs than any of the other 7 American League TEAMS that year.

They may have been scoring some runs, but they weren't hitting homers.

*Shrug* Ruth just started 5 years before anyone else did. He made the game about the home run, which it hadn't had been previous to him. Soon enough everyone was jacking.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:18 pm

I really don't think that Howard is on steroids. I know I'm just going by the way he looks, but he is one of those guys who is just a big boy, and doesn't look like he has taken anything illegal to enhance his body.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but that is just my opinion.
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers