Barrett to DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Barrett to DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barrett to DL

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:55 pm

From Rotoworld:
Cubs placed catcher Michael Barrett on the 15-day disabled list with an intrascrotal hematoma.

That certainly can't be much fun. No word yet on whether Barrett, who was hurt on a foul tip Saturday, will be back this season, but the Cubs had no reason to DL him if they thought he would be. Henry Blanco will take over as the club's full-time catcher and Geovany Soto will back him up. Sep. 3 - 12:47 pm et
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:52 pm

This from CBS Sportsline:

News: Michael Barrett might miss the rest of the season after he was hit in the groin with a foul tip and underwent surgery. He will miss at least two to three weeks, trainer Mark O'Neal said. "We have to see how he responds with the swelling and then we have to re-evaluate him," O'Neal said. Sunday. The Cubs placed Barrett on the 15-day disabled list Sunday and called up Buck Coats from Triple-A. Barrett was injured by Matt Cain's foul tip in the fifth inning Saturday. He left the game after batting the next half-inning. Barrett went to the emergency room and an ultrasound showed bleeding inside his scrotum. Surgery took less than an hour, O'Neal said. The Cubs started Geovany Soto at catcher. Henry Blanco, the backup catcher, had to play first base for the first time since he was with the Dodgers in 1997.

Analysis: This sounds horrible to us. Consider Barrett all but out for the season at this point. You might want to cut him for an option down the stretch, since he might only return for the season's final week. "He had enough of a bleed that it needed to be addressed surgically," O'Neal said. "Guys get hit a lot. You see guys get hit and very rarely does it get to this extreme." Barrett felt ill after his at-bat in the fifth. "He went down (after his at-bat) and said, 'Bake, I'm feeling sick man. This is hurting badly,"' Baker said. "So I said, 'OK, go see the doctor.' He tried to tough it out."
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:46 pm

8-o Man. That's gotta hurt. I'm glad I looked in this forum today because I didn't even know about this until right now (thanks yahoo news blurbs for letting me know stupid stuff like Scott Kazmir being reprimanded for playing ping pong using his pitching arm with Travis Lee before BP the other day, but failing to even mention Barrett being hurt today)...time to find a new catcher on the waivers...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby schmidty » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:48 pm

May I go the rest of my life without hearing the phrase "intrascrotal hematoma" again :-o
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:20 pm

OUCH...poor guy. Surprised this doesn't happen more often to catchers. I guess the question is, was he wearing his cup???

:~(
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates