Barry Zito...Wheres he goin'? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Zito...Wheres he goin'?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Yoda wrote:I think the Giants would be foolish not to go after him. With a veteran young pitcher like Zito to guide Lowry, Cain and Lincecum, they would be ridiculous in 2-3 years.

The Giants need help everywhere pretty much. They have Morris, Cain, Lowry, Sanchez, & Linecum. I think the Giants need young offensive help more since their fam system is so bad and they have nobody really. I see them going after Soriano more than they would Zito.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:41 pm

Zito will be a NY Met next year and I do think that Glavine is STAYING.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby davidmarver » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I understand why no one has the Padres on the SoCal list because of Zito's likely price-tag, but don't forget that the Padres get $26 million off the books this winter from Klesko and Chan Ho Park alone. I wouldn't doubt if they brought back a home-town kid like Zito to be the lone lefty on the staff and be the staff's other ace.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:03 pm

I can't possibly see Zito being a good offseason investment for anyone. Going to cost way too much for what he'll produce.

Anyway, I see him becoming a Yankee.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:41 pm

gfantasy wrote:Zito will be a NY Met next year and I do think that Glavine is STAYING.

Glavine staying? Get real man,

5.5M player option increases by 1Mil for 180 IP another mil for 190 and another for 200 (So if he pitches 5 more games with 7 innings per game he will need 8.5 Mil)

Also the 12M club option which will go up 2M with 180 IP which is 15 IP away

So for 2007 club option will easily cost 14 Mil and the player option will be atleast 6.5

Not to mention he has performance bonuses where he gets extra 750,000 tacked onto his club option if he finishes in the top 5 of the Cy Young and a few others

He has already stated he wants to retire as a Brave and it would cost the MEts at least 14 Mil for 1 year....... So you tell me is he worth it?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm not doubting you that he said he wants to retire as a Brave, but where did you hear/read that? :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think the Giants would be foolish not to go after him. With a veteran young pitcher like Zito to guide Lowry, Cain and Lincecum, they would be ridiculous in 2-3 years.

The Giants need help everywhere pretty much. They have Morris, Cain, Lowry, Sanchez, & Linecum. I think the Giants need young offensive help more since their fam system is so bad and they have nobody really. I see them going after Soriano more than they would Zito.

I think the Giants would be much better off with Zito than Soriano. Why? The influx of young talented pitcher that can feed off him. Can you imagine a better rotation than Zito, Cain, Lowry and Lincecum if they all do what they are supposed to? Pitching wins championships.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:00 pm

Doesn't matter how good your pitching is if you can't score any runs. See: '03 Dodgers. I think he'll go to the Mets, but I think the Dodgers would be a nice fit if they can turn some of their glut of young hitters into a stud bopper.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:23 pm

CadensDad wrote:
gfantasy wrote:I do think that Glavine is STAYING.

Glavine staying? Get real man

gfantasy is right. The Mets went on record in Newsday about week before Glavine's blood clot scare saying that the option would be picked up and that Glavine will pitch for the Mets in '07. I guess they could change their minds at some point although it seems odd that the organization would allow itself to be quoted unless they were sure.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:52 am

Amazinz wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
gfantasy wrote:I do think that Glavine is STAYING.

Glavine staying? Get real man

gfantasy is right. The Mets went on record in Newsday about week before Glavine's blood clot scare saying that the option would be picked up and that Glavine will pitch for the Mets in '07. I guess they could change their minds at some point although it seems odd that the organization would allow itself to be quoted unless they were sure.

Well thats ALOT of money to pay out for one pitcher who is well beyond his prime. It's be a HUGE shock to me if they picked up that option.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers