US OPEN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

US OPEN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

US OPEN

Postby Double Play Ball » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:43 am

Haven't seen any threads on the Open so far, so decided to make one.
-Agassi.. what else can i say. He is still simply amazing. What a thrilling 5 set victory last night over Baghdatis
-DAvid Ferrer is looking pretty good right now as well as Gasquet

Anyone got any bold picks for the finals this year?- Mens and Womens
Double Play Ball
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:05 am

i could care less about any of it besides agassi.

these 2 matches he's had so far have been absolutly electric. i dont ever watch tennis but i have followed through sportscenter my whole life, so i realize what an icon he is in the game, and so does the crowd. each point agassi wins 22,000 people lose thier mind. that entire match with bagnatis was unbelievable. now lets just hope he can beat b.becker, cuz then it will be on to roddick.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:33 pm

How sweet would it be if Agassi could get back to the finals and take out Federer? That would be something. ;-D ;-D

Actually, that may not even be possible, I'm not familiar enough with the draw. Maybe he'd have to take Federer out on his way to the finals... In any case, go Andre! ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:57 pm

I've only been paying attention because of Agassi, but I read that the last match was really amazing...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:23 pm

im a tennis fan but sadly missed the match last night. it looks like i missed a classic, but it was sad to see baghdatis playing injured and couldnt get trainer's help because he was already seen for the same injury. i believe agassi (if he wins next match) is on a collision course with arod and that will be something to see.

i'd love to see another '96 connors but that year connors had a freakishly lucky draw and he played people like patrick mcenroe, krickstein, harhaus who all choked against him. then he ran into the jim courier and got owned.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Great match last night, and what a story it would be if Agassi was able to pull it off. But Federer will win. The guy is too good to lose anywhere not on clay. He's basically the Tiger Woods of tennis, if you want to make a comparison with other individual sports.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:04 pm

mweir145 wrote:Great match last night, and what a story it would be if Agassi was able to pull it off. But Federer will win. The guy is too good to lose anywhere not on clay. He's basically the Tiger Woods of tennis, if you want to make a comparison with other individual sports.

While I agree with you, even Tiger loses. Maybe it's a difference of it being mano y mano as opposed to Tiger vs. the field, but you have to think one of these days someone is going to knock Federer off. I would just love for it to be Agassi in his final tournament. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:05 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:im a tennis fan but sadly missed the match last night. it looks like i missed a classic, but it was sad to see baghdatis playing injured and couldnt get trainer's help because he was already seen for the same injury.

I honestly don't think he was injured. If you get cramp in your leg like that where it hurts so much and you basically can't use the leg, you can't recover and keep playing that fast. It's impossible. He also seemed to turn it on at different times, and then would go back to jumping around and stretching. During a few of those points at the end he was moving around faster than I'd seen him at any point in the match, and during others he was almost motionless. He might have been playing possum to get Agassi's guard down, but luckily it didn't work out for him. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Great match last night, and what a story it would be if Agassi was able to pull it off. But Federer will win. The guy is too good to lose anywhere not on clay. He's basically the Tiger Woods of tennis, if you want to make a comparison with other individual sports.

While I agree with you, even Tiger loses. Maybe it's a difference of it being mano y mano as opposed to Tiger vs. the field, but you have to think one of these days someone is going to knock Federer off. I would just love for it to be Agassi in his final tournament. ;-D

Yeah, Federer is even more dominant at tennis than Tiger is at golf (though Tiger has won 4 straight starts, and is one stroke out of the lead right now in his quest for his 5th straight). That does say something about Roger, though. However, beating him off clay isn't impossible. I believe Andy Murray did it last week, though the tournament wasn't of major importance.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:14 pm

mweir145 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:im a tennis fan but sadly missed the match last night. it looks like i missed a classic, but it was sad to see baghdatis playing injured and couldnt get trainer's help because he was already seen for the same injury.

I honestly don't think he was injured. If you get cramp in your leg like that where it hurts so much and you basically can't use the leg, you can't recover and keep playing that fast. It's impossible. He also seemed to turn it on at different times, and then would go back to jumping around and stretching. During a few of those points at the end he was moving around faster than I'd seen him at any point in the match, and during others he was almost motionless. He might have been playing possum to get Agassi's guard down, but luckily it didn't work out for him. ;-D

yea it was sorta questionable, but then why would a 21 yr old have to pull a fake one against a 36 yr old retiree? i dont think marco is that kind of a player, and you dont do that against agassi in us open where 99% of the fans are already on his side. i think he did cramp, but not one of those major cramps where you are immobilized.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk