Backe out 'till '08? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Backe out 'till '08?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Backe out 'till '08?

Postby sox 06 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 am

Aug 31 Alyson Footer, of Astros.MLB.com, reports Houston Astros SP Brandon Backe (elbow) will undergo Tommy John surgery next Thursday. Backe will likely miss the entire 2007 season as recovery time is usually 12-18 months.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:14 am

:-/ Poor guy. Looked great during the WS and it's been down hill ever since.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chicago RedSox » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:30 pm

Good for Boomer, he's where he wants to be now. It's too bad we paid him all year and now that he's finally healthy SD gets him...but what are you going to do..

As for this Kottaras guy, the article I read said
Kottaras, 23, is 6 feet, 190 pounds, and considered an average receiver and a patient hitter, which fits into the Sox philosophy. Scouts are torn on his readiness for the majors, however, some feeling he needs to toughen up and learn to call a game. A Canadian, he didn't play baseball until he was 15 and played mostly fast-pitch softball until then because his high school only had softball.

Kottaras hit .277 with 7 homers and 33 RBIs at Double A Mobile with a .394 on-base percentage before joining the Triple A Beavers. Through Wednesday, he was hitting .224 with 2 homers and 15 RBIs in 107 at-bats.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:Good for Boomer, he's where he wants to be now. It's too bad we paid him all year and now that he's finally healthy SD gets him...but what are you going to do..

Kottaras, 23, is 6 feet, 190 pounds, and considered an average receiver and a patient hitter, which fits into the Sox philosophy. Scouts are torn on his readiness for the majors, however, some feeling he needs to toughen up and learn to call a game. A Canadian, he didn't play baseball until he was 15 and played mostly fast-pitch softball until then because his high school only had softball.

Kottaras hit .277 with 7 homers and 33 RBIs at Double A Mobile with a .394 on-base percentage before joining the Triple A Beavers. Through Wednesday, he was hitting .224 with 2 homers and 15 RBIs in 107 at-bats.

If he's hitting .277 at AA and .224 at AAA he's not major league ready unless he's just been unlucky in putting up those averages. I don't have a chart for MLE's for the leagues in which he played but I'm pretty sure that .277 in any AA league doesn't look good when projected to the majors and .224 doesn't look good even if he'd hit it in the majors. The split between the .277 AA average and .394 AA obp is certainly intriguing though. I wonder how well he'll do in the majors though if he's that patient and still isn't hitting for average when he takes the bat off his shoulder.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby sox 06 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:50 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:Good for Boomer, he's where he wants to be now. It's too bad we paid him all year and now that he's finally healthy SD gets him...but what are you going to do..

If he's hitting .277 at AA and .224 at AAA he's not major league ready unless he's just been unlucky in putting up those averages. I don't have a chart for MLE's for the leagues in which he played but I'm pretty sure that .277 in any AA league doesn't look good when projected to the majors and .224 doesn't look good even if he'd hit it in the majors. The split between the .277 AA average and .394 AA obp is certainly intriguing though. I wonder how well he'll do in the majors though if he's that patient and still isn't hitting for average when he takes the bat off his shoulder.

What does any of this have to do with Brandon Backe? :-?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:08 pm

ROFL...someone accidentally posted something about the David Wells trade to Backe's thread and then we all replied to it since I'm sure we're all subscribed to both threads. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Philly Pride » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Darn, I was beginning to think of him as a sleeper candidate.

He'll be a real sleeper in '08 ;-D Good luck recovering Brandon, tough one
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates