David Wells traded to S.D. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wells traded to S.D.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:42 am

davidmarver wrote:
Redsox.com wrote:The Red Sox traded veteran left-handed pitcher David Wells to the San Diego Padres on Thursday night for a player to be named.

With Kevin Towers on the phone during the ESPN2 game right now, the announcer calls the deal Wells for a PTBNL.

and the PTBNL is supposed to be Kottaras
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 am

Another Blown Save wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Redsox.com wrote:The Red Sox traded veteran left-handed pitcher David Wells to the San Diego Padres on Thursday night for a player to be named.

With Kevin Towers on the phone during the ESPN2 game right now, the announcer calls the deal Wells for a PTBNL.

and the PTBNL is supposed to be Kottaras

Exactly. I read something earlier that said he has to be a player to be named later, and it is Kottaras, because he is on the 40 man roster and would not make it through waivers. It said the deal will be completed and the Red Sox will add Kottaras when the season is over and making it through waivers is no longer an issue.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:20 am

Well, the trade sucks then. Yes, we do add a left-handed starting pitcher with postseason experience, who is an improvement from our 5th slot, no doubt, but it costs us one of our best prospects.

The Padres, however, have always liked Nick Hundley more than Kottaras. The two are pretty similar prospects; I guess I just don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Kottaras has a bright future. He's got a good arm and a good knowledge of the strike-zone. He won't hit more than 15 homeruns in a season, but he should be able to swing at .300/.350/.450 during his career.

I guess it's only fair we get shafted by Boston this time...Meredith and Bard was too good of a swindling for the Padres to not return the favor. If Wells comes in and is the difference between playoffs and not playoffs, or wins a crucial playoff game, it'll certainly help the outcome of this deal, but from a long-term view, it doesn't look good.

The only positive is that since we can't know, for certain, that Kottaras is going to Boston, that bag won't be necessary. Sure missed the bullet there. :-°
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:27 am

davidmarver wrote:Kottaras has a bright future. He's got a good arm and a good knowledge of the strike-zone. He won't hit more than 15 homeruns in a season, but he should be able to swing at .300/.350/.450 during his career.

He also has the greatest intangible of all. He's Canadian. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:29 am

it sucks for the Padres. Though they don't need Kottaras necessarily. David Wells? Who's not pitching all that great this year(yes, better than the Pads #5 starter. But is that worth Kottaras?).

WV? I still have those fresh egg coupon from Safeway, need any :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:21 am

David Wells is finished. He's just not useful these days. He might get re-injured any second and then you've rented Carl Pavano for a month and given up a useful prospect. Good trade by the greatest GM in the world according to Marver. :-b
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kurtangletn » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:13 am

I truthfully think he lights it up for them, I really do. I'd say post 2.85 era if he stays healthy.

The thing is, the Padres have a legit shot at the WS. With pitching at a premium, I think its a deal they won't regret if they get deep into the post season.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:45 am

Even if the Padres aren't going to use Kottaras, you'd think they could get more value for him than Mr. Wells. Good catchers are pretty hard to find... Anyway, what's Boston going to do with this guy? Isn't Varitek going to be around for awhile anyway?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Red Sox Nation » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:57 am

davidmarver wrote:Well, the trade sucks then. Yes, we do add a left-handed starting pitcher with postseason experience, who is an improvement from our 5th slot, no doubt, but it costs us one of our best prospects.

The Padres, however, have always liked Nick Hundley more than Kottaras. The two are pretty similar prospects; I guess I just don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Kottaras has a bright future. He's got a good arm and a good knowledge of the strike-zone. He won't hit more than 15 homeruns in a season, but he should be able to swing at .300/.350/.450 during his career.

I guess it's only fair we get shafted by Boston this time...Meredith and Bard was too good of a swindling for the Padres to not return the favor. If Wells comes in and is the difference between playoffs and not playoffs, or wins a crucial playoff game, it'll certainly help the outcome of this deal, but from a long-term view, it doesn't look good.

The only positive is that since we can't know, for certain, that Kottaras is going to Boston, that bag won't be necessary. Sure missed the bullet there. :-°

Long term, the deal sucks, Wells is bound to retire at the end of this season if not next season.

Bard wasn't great and the only reason we gave him up was cuz he couldn't back up V-Tek and catch for Wakefield. He's done good in San Diego. As for Meredith, he's having a great year. We shouldn't have given him up that easily but yeah, oh well. And not to mention, you guys got Rudy Seanez too after he got DFAed in August or so.

RAmst23 wrote:Even if the Padres aren't going to use Kottaras, you'd think they could get more value for him than Mr. Wells. Good catchers are pretty hard to find... Anyway, what's Boston going to do with this guy? Isn't Varitek going to be around for awhile anyway?

The Padres have Bard to back up Piazza and when Piazza retires Bard should take over. As for Kottaras, V-Tek has a couple more years, Mirabelli is only useful until Wakefield retires and I don't see the Red Sox planning on keeping Javy Lopez. He goes as a FA over the winter. IMO, Kottaras could be the starting catcher as soon as 2007 but more realistically 2008. V-Tek is signed through 2008 and Mirabelli 2006 (same with Wakefield).
[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Deal completed today. Kottaras is the player to be named later and he's been assigned to Boston's AA affiliate in the Eastern League. Can someone make me the paper bag?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers