Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:50 pm

rotoworld

Code: Select all
Miguel Cabrera is day-to-day after getting hit by a pitch on the left forearm in the third inning on Wednesday's game.

Wes Helms replaced Cabrera, who contributed his 98th RBI of the year before departing.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 403)

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:51 am

Sounds like MCab is a go for Friday.

From Yahoo!
Sep 1 The Palm Beach Post's Joe Capozzi reports Florida Marlins 3B Miguel Cabrera (elbow) said he expects to return to the lineup today after sitting out Aug. 31 with a bruised left elbow. Manager Joe Girardi left Cabrera's return open until his left elbow is healed. When he does return, Cabrera said he will wear so-called "body armor" to protect his left arm.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:01 am

I have my fingers crossed...because our lineups lock before the Cubs game gets underway...and I am in the finals!

:-P :-° :-t

Cabrera protecting elbow
By Joe Capozzi
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 01, 2006

ST. LOUIS — All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera said he expects to return to the lineup today after sitting out Thursday with a bruised left elbow.

Manager Joe Girardi left Cabrera's return open until his left elbow is healed. When he does return, Cabrera said he will wear so-called "body armor" to protect his left arm.

"I'm going to try it now because I don't want to get hit again. I don't want to miss one or two days," he said.

Cabrera left Wednesday's game in the third inning after being drilled just above the elbow, the fourth time he has been hit by a pitch in the area of his arm.

Cabrera, Florida's most productive player, missed one other game this year after being hit in the same spot.

"It's a painful injury," Girardi said. "I know he is anxious to play and as soon as he can play he'll be in there."

The swelling went down Thursday, and a follow-up set of X-rays confirmed no damage, as a set taken at the ballpark showed Wednesday night. Cabrera said he tried wearing an elbow guard earlier this year but stopped using it after a couple of games because it was not comfortable.

Team trainers will try to modify the elbow guard to give Cabrera more comfort. This season, Cabrera has been hit by pitches eight times, tied with Dan Uggla for second on the team. Josh Willingham has been hit 11 times.

Andino returns: As insurance to Cabrera, the Marlins recalled shortstop Robert Andino from Class AAA Albuquerue.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/co ... _0901.html

Protection for Cabrera
BY CLARK SPENCER
mailto:cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Miguel Cabrera never cared for the protective armor some hitters wear to shield themselves from stray pitches, saying the equipment is bulky and restricts his swing.

But Cabrera, who was hit by a pitch Wednesday for the eighth time this season when the Cardinals' Jason Marquis plunked him just above his left elbow, decided he no longer has much choice.

''I don't want to miss a week or two weeks [because of an injury],'' said Cabrera, who was left out of the starting lineup Thursday for just the second time this season because of swelling in the area.

Although X-rays revealed nothing more serious than a hefty bruise, the Marlins' best hitter is optimistic he will be able to play tonight when the Marlins open a three-game series in Milwaukee.

Cabrera said he would try wearing a protective pad on his elbow, different from one he experimented with before but discarded because he said it cramped his style.

''It's the same spot where they had already hit me three times this season,'' Cabrera said of his latest plunking, which led to his exit. ``[Wednesday] made it four times.''

Manager Joe Girardi said: ``It's a painful injury. I know he's anxious to play, and as soon as he can play, he'll be in there.''

Josh Willingham has been hit by pitches 11 times to lead the Marlins.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 412227.htm

08/31/2006 8:15 PM ET
Notes: Cabrera's pain not serious
All-Star doesn't start Thursday to rest bruised left elbow
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Fears within the Marlins organization were put to rest on Thursday with the news that slugger Miguel Cabrera's bruised left elbow should be fine.
Cabrera was drilled just above the elbow by a Jason Marquis fastball in the third inning of Wednesday's 13-6 loss to the Cardinals at Busch Stadium. At the time, the three-time All-Star shook off the sting and remained in the game. He eventually scored a run, but he was removed in the bottom of the third inning.

Two X-rays, one taken on Wednesday night and the other on Thursday, revealed no serious damage. The diagnosis was a contusion, and Cabrera was out of the lineup on Thursday to give the elbow a day of rest.

Cabrera said that he hopes to play in the Marlins' series opener with the Brewers on Friday night. Until Cabrera is ready, Wes Helms will fill in at third base.

"It happens, and it's frustrating for us," manager Joe Girardi said. "You don't want to lose Miguel when you're in a situation like us, with [29] games to go. But the other guys have got to pick him up for however long he's out. The other guys have got to step up."

Losing their primary offensive weapon for any length of time would be devastating to the young Marlins, just 2 1/2 games out in the National League Wild Card race.

The 23-year-old is having a sensational season, batting .338 with 23 home runs, 98 RBIs and 94 runs scored. In August, he hit .379 with seven homers and 32 RBIs.

"The lineup is totally different with him out," Helms said. "But we've got to step up and do our part. You really can't say you've got to do what he does. Hopefully, he will be back in a day."

Cabrera has now been hit by a pitch eight times this season, tied with Dan Uggla for second most on the team behind Josh Willingham's 11.

Three of his hit-by-pitches have been in the same general area above the elbow.

"I've been doing a lot of icing," said Cabrera. "I have to get back my extension, but I want to be able to swing good."

Late Wednesday, Cabrera said that he was a bit worried about possibly having a broken bone.

"I was scared because there was a lot of swelling," he said. "I was worried that something was broken. Everything turned out all right."

When Cabrera does return, he says he will consider wearing some sort of elbow armor. He has tried using padding before but didn't feel comfortable. He has been considering experimenting with wearing armor next Spring Training.

Now, he will give it a shot.

Girardi hasn't ruled out using Cabrera as a pinch-hitter on Thursday, but the team will see how his elbow is feeling.

A workhorse, Cabrera has played in 131 of the Marlins' 133 games.

"I know he's anxious to play," Girardi said. "He's got a big bruise. The swelling is not as bad today as it was yesterday, but obviously, it isn't well enough to play. We'll take it day by day."

Roster move: Cabrera's tender elbow prompted the team to make a roster move, in case the slugger is sidelined for a few days.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

Miguel Cabrera out of Marlins lineup a day after being hit by pitch

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Miguel Cabrera was not in the Florida Marlins' lineup on Thursday night, a day after being hit by a pitch on his left triceps.

"He's got a big bruise," manager Joe Girardi said. "Obviously, he's not good enough to play, and we'll just take it day by day." Cabrera thought he might be able to play on Friday. Wes Helms started at third base and Dan Uggla was batting third, Cabrera's spot in the lineup, against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Cabrera, batting .338 with 23 homers and 98 RBIs, was removed before the bottom of the third on Wednesday after being hit by Jason Marquis.

"Nothing is broken or anything, it's just bruised real bad," Cabrera said. "I just couldn't get out of the way in time."

He said he'd consider wearing protective gear.

"I want this to heal and not get aggravated," Cabrera said. "I've got to be careful. You don't know what can happen out there."

The Marlins also optioned right-handed reliever Randy Messenger to Class A Jupiter, a day after he allowed five runs in 1 2-3 innings.

Messenger is 1-7 with a 6.47 ERA, and right-handers are batting .353 against him. The Marlins recalled infielder Robert Andino.

Manager Joe Girardi said Messenger's woes are a combination of location, mechanics and confidence. But he said Messenger will be among the September callups after pitching one game in the minors.

"When you have your confidence, I think you're a little more aggressive," Girardi said. "It's been a tough month for him."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/ ... 71-ap.html
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bcb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:05 am

Now that's what I call an update! ;-D
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I subbed in E. Encarnacion for the day. I figure, even if Miggy gets back in the lineup, his swing won't be that great. I'm waiting and seeing.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yankeesin05 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:48 pm

Sep 4 The Miami Herald's Clark Spencer reports Florida Marlins 3B Miguel Cabrera drove in three runs Sunday, Sept. 3, to become only the third player to drive in 100 runs or more in each of three consecutive seasons. Mel Ott and Ted Williams were the other two players.

^^^ does this make no sense to anyone else? do they mean he's only the 3rd marlin to do this?
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby johnsamo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 pm

can't be right... Pujols has done it his first 6 seasons
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby vykeengfan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Yankeesin05 wrote:Sep 4 The Miami Herald's Clark Spencer reports Florida Marlins 3B Miguel Cabrera drove in three runs Sunday, Sept. 3, to become only the third player to drive in 100 runs or more in each of three consecutive seasons. Mel Ott and Ted Williams were the other two players.

^^^ does this make no sense to anyone else? do they mean he's only the 3rd marlin to do this?

i believe it's the 3rd youngest player...

C Johjima
1 Helton
2 Utley
3 ARod
SS Hanley
LF M Cab
CF Beltran
RF C Monroe
Util Delgado
BN Figgins
DL: Matsui, Melky
SP Schilling, Mussina, Hamels, Blanton, Felix