Has there ever been a more unlucky Team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has there ever been a more unlucky Team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:58 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Agree with Hootie. Every team is beset with injuries. While some injuries are predictable (e.g. Prior, Wood, Nixon), others are not (e.g. Rafael Soriano). But most of the other teams don't have the resources to deal with it.

Boston has spent the last two years slowly dismantling their team and getting weaker with every move. Think Lowe, Pedro, Arroyo, Hanley, Damon et al. wouldn't have helped this year?

Also, they did nothing at the trade deadline (unlike, say the Yankees) to boost the team despite known weaknesses even though they obviously have the resources to do something.

To me, being unlucky means bad things happening that are out of your control. While some of the things that have occurred (e.g. Ortiz and Lester) are unlucky for the players themselves, the Red Sox team itself has had a significant amount of control in terms of team success. That they have worsened their team over the last two years with personel decisions and made no moves at the deadline to help the team - despite the resources to do so - show that Boston's fate was within their control and that the results of this season are not due to luck.

Well said ;-D
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jondunc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:13 am

I opened this thread expecting it to be about the Tribe. Red Sox? :-°
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:18 am

Yep. I'd say that the soccer team on board this flight was pretty unlucky, too.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:45 am

jondunc wrote:I opened this thread expecting it to be about the Tribe. Red Sox? :-°

Haha, well you did ask if there has ever been a more unlucky team. I think most of the conversation has revolved around that.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:40 am

I think Dawgpounds post has nailed it. They just don't have the guns . Even if they didn't have any injuries.Theos moves were great leading up to the championship but have to be questioned since.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:The sox have it pretty bad, Tek, Lester, Wake, Wells, Clement, and now Ortiz, Manny and Lester going through injury problems. But that's baseball. Lots of teams battle injuries and fall out of contention. Yanks just happen to have the tools (players and cash) to cover for them.

The Red Sox dont have the "cash" to cover? Are you out of your mind, the second richest baseball team and they cant go out before the trade deadline and get some help? Sounds more like poor management than lack of fund's.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 pm

There is no way that the Sox have been the unluckiest team this year. That title belongs to Cleveland, or the Cubs.

And by the way, Lester's line stands at 4.76/1.65. There's no way those are stud #'s.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers