Has there ever been a more unlucky Team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has there ever been a more unlucky Team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pstater71 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:31 am

The Cubs are unfortunate, but the Red Sox are unlucky. I mean Holy Hell, Ortiz down with irregular heartbeat; Lester having syptoms of cancer; Varitek down; Nixon down; Wakefield down; Clement down; Manny not 100%; Wily Mo with wrist problems; Alex Gonzo another on DL. I have never seen that many players on one team out. How can u bounce back from this!
Pstater71 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mreater71 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 am

Pstater71 wrote:The Cubs are unfortunate, but the Red Sox are unlucky. I mean Holy Hell, Ortiz down with irregular heartbeat; Lester having syptoms of cancer; Varitek down; Nixon down; Wakefield down; Clement down; Manny not 100%; Wily Mo with wrist problems; Alex Gonzo another on DL. I have never seen that many players on one team out. How can u bounce back from this!

If some miracle happened that the Red Sox make it to the wild card after all of this, then that would fall right after, possibly over, when they came back in the playoffs against the Yankees!
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Unlucky

Postby bigjimblue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:43 am

Every year teams go through adversity. The TRUE character of the team is how they respond to it. I'm afraid the BoSox have no character. They just give up!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:46 am

well, at least mike lowell was a nice surprise for the sox this year :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Old_Style wrote:well, at least mike lowell was a nice surprise for the sox this year :-D

I'd say Beckett has been the bigger surprise.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm

Enlarged lymphnodes can be a sign of many many things. They are testing him for cancer but I wouldn't say thats a sign that he has it. Back pain can be from cancer amoung many other things and so can enlarged lymphnodes.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:09 pm

acsguitar wrote:Enlarged lymphnodes can be a sign of many many things. They are testing him for cancer but I wouldn't say thats a sign that he has it. Back pain can be from cancer amoung many other things and so can enlarged lymphnodes.

Lester also has a sore back.

It is probably nothing, but the way the last couple of weeks have been going for the red sox...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby zevon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Pstater71 wrote:The Cubs are unfortunate, but the Red Sox are unlucky. I mean Holy Hell, Ortiz down with irregular heartbeat; Lester having syptoms of cancer; Varitek down; Nixon down; Wakefield down; Clement down; Manny not 100%; Wily Mo with wrist problems; Alex Gonzo another on DL. I have never seen that many players on one team out. How can u bounce back from this!

They can't bounce back from this, it would be a bigger miracle than coming back from 3-0 in '04.
And Coco Crisp is now day to day with a bruised shoulder after making a great diving catch a couple nights ago.
Good news for the PawSox though, Varitek, Nixon, and Gonzales will all play for them this weekend and WilyMo is supposed to be back in a couple days. The Manny and Papi questions should be figured out by the end of the weekend, question is how much is either going to play the rest of the season even if they're cleared?
Won't be any chances taken with either.
So help's on the way, only God knows if they have anyone they can actually bring up for the expanded September roster, but the bottom line is they need to win like 25 out of their last 29 to have a postseason shot - that's if the Yanks and/or the Wrong Sox play .500 ball.
Just ain't in the cards...
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:22 pm

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php

Look at D1 D2 D3

Boston has won more games then they should of.

The unluckiest team by far is Cleveland.

Boston hurt themselves with deals, and letting guys walk. Pedro was the start of it. Damon next. Arroyo deal. Bostons failure to add at the trade deadline hurt them.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:40 am

Agree with Hootie. Every team is beset with injuries. While some injuries are predictable (e.g. Prior, Wood, Nixon), others are not (e.g. Rafael Soriano). But most of the other teams don't have the resources to deal with it.

Boston has spent the last two years slowly dismantling their team and getting weaker with every move. Think Lowe, Pedro, Arroyo, Hanley, Damon et al. wouldn't have helped this year?

Also, they did nothing at the trade deadline (unlike, say the Yankees) to boost the team despite known weaknesses even though they obviously have the resources to do something.

To me, being unlucky means bad things happening that are out of your control. While some of the things that have occurred (e.g. Ortiz and Lester) are unlucky for the players themselves, the Red Sox team itself has had a significant amount of control in terms of team success. That they have worsened their team over the last two years with personel decisions and made no moves at the deadline to help the team - despite the resources to do so - show that Boston's fate was within their control and that the results of this season are not due to luck.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers