The Numbers Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Numbers Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:55 am

shortsavage wrote:
Tavish wrote:
shortsavage wrote:No one is interested in gaining knowledge of the history of baseball statistics in order to better their scoring system?

Is this concept too difficult to explore?

So knowing that George Lindsay developed an early version of linear weights will make the league scoring better? There are several reasons for someone interested in baseball to read The Numbers Game, improving their league scoring system isn't really one of them.

How about knowing that the creator of RBI (Henry Chadwick if I recall correctly) went on to detest them? Or that OPS essentially came about through the work of Earnshaw Cook back in the 1960's? And that Bill James was blamed for the misuse of statistics by the baseball community because it didn't understand his work?

I think my tie into scoring systems was a clever way to justify this thread remaining in this forum. Most baseball fans would love to indulge into this kind of stuff, but they don't know about it.

The baseball traditionalist not only resides in the form of baseball historians, scouts, coaches, writers, and analiststs, it resonates in the fantasy fan as well.

Does Cy Young voting make that much more sense than 5x5 Roto? Win chasing vs. win chasing. Should someone with the career stolen base percentage of Rod Carew (65.4) really have been allowed to steal 353 bases? Most scoring systems have fantasy fans saying yes.

Your response, Tavish, makes me lean toward thinking that these concepts are too difficult for the casual fan to explore. If you have all those credibility icons next to your name and you didn't even recognize the potential fantasy improvements that can made by understanding the history of basseball data and statistics, then I don't expect the young bucks around here to grasp them.

That is quite possibly the most arrogant thing I have ever read.

Most fantasy fans realize that roto and other fantasy scoring systems don't accurately represent value in real baseball. If you want to use your newfound knowledge to build a better scoring system go ahead and try. Stats with 100% accurate representations of real baseball contributions are the holy grail of baseball.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby apz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:58 am

shortsavage wrote:No one is interested in gaining knowledge of the history of baseball statistics in order to better their scoring system?

Is this concept too difficult to explore?

What kind of replys are you looking for? You posted information and opinion. You didn't ask a question or put something up for discussion.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Since this wound up locked up before I had a chance to point out the obvious, I'm going to reply anyway.

Shortsavage, you're missing the obvious here. If people wanted fantasy baseball to mimic real life as closely as possible, they would play simulation leagues. You get to do everything in those, all the way from deciding which pitch to throw, to which pitch to swing at. Most people don't want to go that deeply, and fantasy baseball is what they play. Having to get steals, while being a pain in the rear end and a possible detriment to your team's batting average/home runs/rbi, but it's all part of the game we know and love. We do our best to acquire each stat needed to win the league as the least amount of cost.

If you're talking about turning fantasy baseball into real baseball, then you should add defensive stats to the mix, range factors, etc. In other words, play a simulation league. There are tons of those out there, so knock yourself out. Fantasy baseball is here to stay. There will be tons of different types and catagories, but none of them will ever match up and be equal to real baseball. Was never really designed to be that way, and those that want it to mimic real life have the simulation league option.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers