Pitching reviews - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching reviews

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching reviews

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Ok, I've taken it upon myself to keep a spreadsheet updated with young pitching talent that is in the league or close to getting to the leauge. I'm mainly wanting to keep track of what kind of "stuff" they have and how fast they throw that "stuff". This was a small topic a few days ago and decided it would be something I would like to keep track of the rest of this year and next. Anyway, here is what I have so far, its just going to be little blurbs about each guy with there age, height, weight, type of pitches, how good they are, how fast they are, and just a little opinion that I come up with when I see them pitch.

Anyway, here are just a few guys so far.....

Code: Select all
Boof Bonser - RHP 10/14/81  6'4/250
91-94 mph 4 seam fastball
79-82 mph curveball
86-87 mph slider

Boof doesn't have any one dominate pitch.  He works primarily with a 93 mph fastball that doesn't have much movement.  Haven't really seen a changeup of any kind.  And his two breaking balls are MLB avg.  Probably won't be anything higher than a #3 type pitcher unless he learns a good change to go with his other pitches.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck James - LHP  11/9/81  6'0/180
87-91 mph 2 seam fastball
76-77 mph change
80-81 mph slider

Chuck works almost only with his 2 seamer and his change.  Its pretty much 50/50 of each but will occasionally mix in a below avg slider just to keep guys guessing.  Has solid control but probably won't ever be more than a #3 type guy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Lester - LHP  1/7/84  6'2/190
89-92 mph cutter
93-94 mph 4 seam fastball
70-72 mph curveball
slider

Jon works mainly with a MLB avg cutter.  Curve is also MLB avg.  Slider is probaby his best pitch right now as it is avg to just above avg.  Doesn't really throw any kind of change and rarely throws his 4 seamer.  Keeps the ball down in the zone pretty well and throws "across his body" which can be deceptive.  If he can throw that 4 seamer more often and mix in a change he can be a #2 but he will probably be no more than a #3 at best.

Matt Garza   - RHP  11/26/83  6'4/185
92-96 mph 4 seam fastball
74-78 mph curveball
84-88 mph slider
82-83 mph change

Matt has very good stuff!  All his pitches are above avg or has the potential to be.  Works mainly with a 94-95 mph fastball with little movement.  Doesn't seem comfortable right now to throw his secondary pitches as often that he probably should, though as he does get more comfortable they will all be and are very good pitches.  Definately ace potential.

Shaun Marcum - RHP  12/14/81  6'0/185
86-89 mph 2 seam fastball
90-92 mph 4 seam fastball
76-78 mph curveball
80-83 mph slider
+ change (need to confirm speed)

Doesn't have any dominate pitch but can control all his pitches pretty well.  Works mainly with his 2 seam fastball and his change is his best pitch.  Probably won't be anything better than a #4 type pitcher but could develop into a #3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad Billingsley - RHP 7/29/84  6'1/240
87-91 mph 2 seam fastball
87-91 mph cutter
94-95 mph 4 seam fastball
slider (need to confirm speed)
curveball (need to confirm speed)

Chad has a very solid sinker and cutter that he works primarily with.  He can also overpower guys with a sneaky fast 94-95 mph 4 seam fastball.  Needs work on his slider but has a good curveball.  Probably a #2 type but could be an ace if he can put everything together.

.... anyway, just a little something that i've got going. I still need to fill in some speeds on certain guys' pitches, since a couple of them I couldn't right down at the time I was watching, but it will come. I do have alot of other guys in my spreadsheet but there pitch speeds I just have from searching on the net from scouting reports, etc. The guys above I've actually seen pitch. I will post alot more next year as I have a chance to see guys.

But anyway, since its hard to find what type of pitches a guy throws and at what speeds without seeing him in person I figured this type of project would not only be fun but helpful to those that don't get to see some of these guys pitch.

more to come.......

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:23 pm

Nice list so far. Well done. Good way to learn a little bit more about a player.

Feel free to keep sharing. :-b ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 407)

Postby cordscords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 pm

Very nice work, they were good reads.

Keep it coming ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:37 pm

Nice job! This will look really nice when it has the most dominate/hyped guys on it like Liriano/Weaver/Verlander/Hamels/etc.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:05 am

Very nice. Would be something I wouldn't mind reading when it was fully done. ;-D
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bravelaker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:27 pm

Nice list cant wait to see more. ;-D
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers