Deserving of an AL Cy Young Consideration? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deserving of an AL Cy Young Consideration?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deserving of an AL Cy Young Consideration?

Postby Zito is God » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:42 pm

Ok, lets get one thing straight, I do not believe this guy will win the Cy Young, I believe Santana is the clear cut winner unless his team breaks arms and legs and can't get any runs in for him in the next month, however:

Chien-Mein Wang has 16 wins thatcrept up on people, he also sports a sub-3 ERA with a decent WHIP and a sparkling GB-FB ratio. While he may not win it, do you believe he will even be considered, be in the top 3-5 in votes by the end?

I believe he has a very good chance to be a 20 game winner this year and will likely do with with a mid-3 ERA and prety much solid stats across the board. His K's will be his demise in the Cy Young voting, but this guy came out and is the ace of the staff right now.
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Re: Deserving of an AL Cy Young Consideration?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Zito is God wrote:Ok, lets get one thing straight, I do not believe this guy will win the Cy Young, I believe Santana is the clear cut winner unless his team breaks arms and legs and can't get any runs in for him in the next month, however:

Chien-Mein Wang has 16 wins thatcrept up on people, he also sports a sub-3 ERA with a decent WHIP and a sparkling GB-FB ratio. While he may not win it, do you believe he will even be considered, be in the top 3-5 in votes by the end?

I believe he has a very good chance to be a 20 game winner this year and will likely do with with a mid-3 ERA and prety much solid stats across the board. His K's will be his demise in the Cy Young voting, but this guy came out and is the ace of the staff right now.


There are several pitchers that deserve it more than him, including one on his very own team. But if he ends up with the most wins, he'll definitely get consideration, and he may actually win.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 pm

If someone with an ERA close to 4, a whip of 1.35, and a 1:1 K/BB ratio wins the Cy Young... over guys like Santana, Hallday, and Verlander... I'm going to go burn down Yankee Stadium.
Last edited by tinfoilxtouch on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1057
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:55 pm

September will decide a lot, but yes, I do believe he has a chance. If he manages to get to 20 wins, he has a very real chance.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 pm

The only thing that says Cy Young canidate is his wins, his other stats that people look at for that award are just good to pretty good.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby BxBombers951 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:51 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:If someone with an ERA close to 4, a whip of 1.35, and a 1:1 K/BB ratio wins the Cy Young... over guys like Santana, Hallday, and Verlander... I'm going to go burn down Yankee Stadium.


if you lay a finger on the stadium we r gonna have problems
Image
BxBombers951
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 651
Joined: 12 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Yankee Stadium

Postby Mashug » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:05 pm

His ERA shrinking and could poosibly end up around 3.30 while Santana ends up at 3.00. He could end up with 20 wins too. I agree with you that he won't win the Cy Young, nor does he deserve it over Johan and maybe Halladay, but he'll get some votes. If he goes 20-7, 3.30 that's a hell of a year
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:09 pm

Mashug wrote:His ERA shrinking and could poosibly end up around 3.30 while Santana ends up at 3.00. He could end up with 20 wins too. I agree with you that he won't win the Cy Young, nor does he deserve it over Johan and maybe Halladay, but he'll get some votes. If he goes 20-7, 3.30 that's a hell of a year

For him to get his ERA down to 3.30, it's going to take basically what he did yesterday several times over the last month. I don't see it happening.

I also think Johan will end up around 2.80, with Halladay around 3.00. We'll see though, there's a long way to go.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm

Wang- 415 Ground balls
Derek Lowe- 398 Ground balls
Brandon Webb- 382 ground balls

He is also 3rd in the majors in groundball to flyouts and is first in the American League.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 pm

He won't win the CY YOung this year but some year I could see it. He's still very young and his Era is too high at the moment unless he goes on to win all of his future starts he won't win or be in the top 3.

Maybee top 5
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: threelions, unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact