My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My quest into microbrews...

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Went to the Deschutes pub in Bend over the weekend, much to my chagrin, they no longer had the XXI on tap, so I settled for the Abyss. A couple of those, and you're good to go.

Abyss is absolutely delicious. I bought a six-pack of the Black Butte XXI at my local BevMo and that was also divine.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:04 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Bells Expedition and Founders' Imperial and Breakfast Stout are among the best stouts I have ever had. Bells Kalamazoo not so much but it's still solid and would drink it out of the tap.

i'll have to pick up the Breakfast...i almost did but it would have tempted me to drink at Breakfast :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

This is next on my hit list: Black Tuesday, a 19.5% ABV imperial stout brewed in Orange County and is supposedly the most sought after stout at the moment. Good thing it's brewed near my neck of the woods. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

If anyone gets their hands on this I'd be interested. Big Warren Haynes fan. ;-D

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:32 pm

After I had some people over who drank most of my Sam Adams Octoberfest I realized that I need to stock up on some cheaper beer for guest and I need some advice (can't afford to keep giving guests pricier brews, I work nonprofit and my wife is starting grad school soon :-o )

Lagers and ales are what I usually go for (Smithwicks, Killians), the Mrs is a big fan of stouts.
At the moment I'm thinking of grabbing a case of Yuengling, but would also like to get a case of something darker. Any suggestions?
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:45 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:After I had some people over who drank most of my Sam Adams Octoberfest I realized that I need to stock up on some cheaper beer for guest and I need some advice (can't afford to keep giving guests pricier brews, I work nonprofit and my wife is starting grad school soon :-o )

Lagers and ales are what I usually go for (Smithwicks, Killians), the Mrs is a big fan of stouts.
At the moment I'm thinking of grabbing a case of Yuengling, but would also like to get a case of something darker. Any suggestions?

hmmm...cheap and dark :-? Guiness :-b Heiniken Dark actually is pretty good (if they still make it). Newcastle...although not quite as dark (nor cheap possibly)

also Michelob has a porter that isnt too bad, i think Labatts has one as well

hope that helps
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:After I had some people over who drank most of my Sam Adams Octoberfest I realized that I need to stock up on some cheaper beer for guest and I need some advice (can't afford to keep giving guests pricier brews, I work nonprofit and my wife is starting grad school soon :-o )

Hmmm... if we're talking widely distributed beers, I'd give Bass and Boddington's a shot. You might have Fuller's London Pride in your neck in the woods. If you tend to like a proper English bitter, London Pride is good and is a milder sort compared to their ESB (extra special bitter). Sierra Nevada is always good. If you like your ales on the strong hoppy side, I'd go with that or Arrogant Bastard.

Some Asian supermarkets carry San Miguel Dark Lager, which is more or less a black lager with stout-like characteristics and can be had for a fairly good price.

BTW, for those wondering, I couldn't get a hold of the Black Tuesday when it had gone on limited sale. It was truly a black day for me. :,-(
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby jfg » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 am

Is $30 a bottle for a growler or a 12 oz bottle?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:hmmm...cheap and dark :-? Guiness :-b Heiniken Dark actually is pretty good (if they still make it). Newcastle...although not quite as dark (nor cheap possibly)

hope that helps

i tend to avoid guinness in a bottle. just doesnt taste as good :^
newcastle makes a good brew, but not the cheapest thing out there. i had forgotten about the michelob porter. had one awhile ago and i remember it being ok. as for the heineken, well, ill pass. had to drink one of the original's this weekend :-P
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:07 am

WyldStallyn wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:hmmm...cheap and dark :-? Guiness :-b Heiniken Dark actually is pretty good (if they still make it). Newcastle...although not quite as dark (nor cheap possibly)

hope that helps

i tend to avoid guinness in a bottle. just doesnt taste as good :^
newcastle makes a good brew, but not the cheapest thing out there. i had forgotten about the michelob porter. had one awhile ago and i remember it being ok. as for the heineken, well, ill pass. had to drink one of the original's this weekend :-P

no love for the guiness cans?
the Heineken Dark is nothing like regular Heineken...it actually tastes good as opposed to the original
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk